GPS & Mileage

jeff35080

I've got a question that has really been bugging me. Hopefully, someone with more technical knowledge of such matters can provide me with an answer.

I am an avid hiker and always take my GPSr with me on my hikes to record my adventure. I have noticed that on my hikes the mileage shown by my GPSr is always incorrect. It always shows less mileage than what I have actually travelled.

At first I thought the difference in mileage was due to lapses in reception from the satellite so this past weekend I went out of my way to constantly monitor the screen of the GPSr. On the hike I took this past Monday, the GPSr stated that I had travelled 5.14 miles, but once plotted on the National Geographic Topo! software and my Magellan Topo software it showed that I had travelled almost two-miles further which was a more accurate indication of the hike.

Do elevation changes while hiking affect the distance recorded by the GPSr i.e. does the unit not properlly record distance while going up and down hills as opposed to flat ground?

FWIW, my GPSr is a Magellan SporTrak Map with the latest software (4.06).

I would welcome any insight to this question.

Jeff

http://www.StarsFellOnAlabama.com

http://www.NotAChance.com

If you hide it, they will come....

Your unit measures linear distance from point A to point B. If there is a rapid change in elevation along the way it will only see the distance in 2 dimensions. If the change in elevation is say 1500 feet up one side and 2000 feet down the other side of a mesa the GPSr will only read the distance between start and finish and think you went through the mesa instead of over it.

John of 2oldfarts

Human beings can always be counted on to assert with vigor their God-given right to be stupid.--Dean Koontz

No, there's something more to this one than simply elevation changes but the concept of changes in elevation will always make the GPS trip shorter (all things being equal) than the path the feet followed but certainly not by that much. GPS measurements (trip distace) do not take into account changes in elevation.

If you looked at it this way if the GPS trip was 5.14 miles and the actual distance more like 7.14 miles then that would be akin to walking up a continuous slope of about 45 deg (which is quite steep) and at the end be almost 5 miles high.

Cheers, Kerry.

I never get lost icon_smile.gif everybody keeps telling me where to go icon_wink.gif

I want to chime in here because I'm such a math geek.

No, the elevation change is not where your error is originating.

Read my post here where I think I eloquently described the problem.

The error likely has more to do with the fact that the GPS measures a series of line segments, rather than the actual curves you are walking on the trail.

Given a 7.14 mile loop with a 1000ft elevation gain gives a angle of 1.5°. [ sin(angle)=(1000/37699) ]

This means if you walked 7.14mi (37699ft) your distance traveled over flat ground is about 37686 feet, a difference of about 14 feet. [ 37699*cos(1.5°)=37686 ]

Someone check my math.

Jamie

[This message was edited by Jamie Z on September 04, 2003 at 10:33 PM.]

All my Magellans have come up short.

4000XL, GPS 315, and MeriPlat

They come up about 0.85 to the mile, so they are always short. I have not tried the new Sportraks yet, though.

Garmin has much better Trip Computer functions and more accurate Trip Distance.

When I Download the tracklog of my GPS V, it is very close to the Trip Computer Info.

--------------------------------------------------

Pictures of the insides of my Old GPS V

My Home Page about what is GPS

Geoff

- Geocaching, DiscGolfing & Rollercoasters

Thats right, AutoAveraging can kick in at times, and cause a little bit of error with the Trip Odom.

I wish that AutoAveraging can be turned on or off.

The reason I like the MeriPlat so much, is that I can stand still for a bit near the cache, with the compass turned on. The Auto Averaging helps with the Electronic Compass, and It has helped me find caches better than any Garmin.

--------------------------------------------------

Pictures of the insides of my Old GPS V

My Home Page about what is GPS

Geoff

- Geocaching, DiscGolfing & Rollercoasters

quote:
Originally posted by jeff35080:

That's interesting Criminal, I have been using the 'Auto' option, but when I go this weekend I will try the 'Detailed'. I wonder how many miles of track points I could get in Detailed mode....

Jeff

http://www.StarsFellOnAlabama.com

http://www.NotAChance.com

If you hide it, they will come....

Not sure what unit you have. On the V I would use Auto and highest.

http://fp1.centurytel.net/Criminal_Page/

I have not checked a lot of distances but my Garmin Vista and a Megellan Handspring GPS module that I recently sold both give me very accurate distance measurement. Uphill, downhill, flat whatever. Besides hiking I have taken the Vista running and driven with it in the car. In the car I get about a 1% difference between the Vista and the car odometer.