Wireless Caching

YankeeRage

Anyone use a laptop while out in the 'woods' ?

How about in urban settings?

either with a cellular modem or WiFi?

How about handhelds?

While I have both a laptop and a handheld, while caching, I generally just print out the page and use a pencil. Geekness aside, use the right tool for the right job. But I could see a benefit for being able to chat/email another cacher/owner when stumped.

Me, I still like the convenience of paper which you can shove in any pocket whether on your jacket, shirt or pants, maybe even in your shoes or socks. That is why I have resisted using a Palm for paperless caching even though I have an extra old unit at home. With only 97 caches within 100 miles from my house, I haven't seen the need to use pocket queries either.

Pencil and page print-out! And a calculator for puzzle caches.

If you got to contact the owner, it couldn't hurt to wait until you get home. Besides, gives you another reason to hit the trail.

Lap top, PDA and GPSr all wired together...on the hunt. Can you invision it!?

YRage, get the files???

Bob ~

Early bird gets the worm, but the second mouse gets the cheese...

Isn't the best way to save face to keep the lower part shut?...Stephen Wright

mystats.php?userid=RainbowCache&vopt=user&txtdata=Somewhere%20Over%20the%20Rainbow!&bgcol=FFFFFF&fgcol=000000

Laptop's

PDA's

Cell's

FRS's

GPSR's

Pin detectors

Metal detectors

Range finders

Compass

4X4s

Digital cameras

Kayaks

mountain bikes

I think that about covers the team phoenix gear...

Anyone have a cheap sat phone for sale?1037282_300.jpg

[This message was edited by Dagg on October 09, 2003 at 01:58 PM.]

I've never done the 'laptop in the woods' thing, but I have done the 'laptop in the car' thing. Verizon has a pretty good arrangement going in that if you have America's Choice coverage, you also have Express Network (144kBPs) at no additional charge (only airtime, and that is free on nights & weekends). With that I can hook the cell phone to the notebook PC with a USB cable and get pretty decent Internet on the road for looking up cache pages, etc. I don't use it much around town, but it has come in handy when caching out of town without knowing where I am headed in advance. I also recently wrote a couple WAP pages for my own use to look up a GC number on my phone just in case I saw one in my GPSr that I didn't have a sheet for (and I didn't have the notebook around). I honestly do not use it much though. I need to invest in a PDA. With the amount I spend printing cache pages (paper & ink), I probably could have paid for one by now.

clubstats.asp?club_id=1&cacher_id=88887

I used to do the paper thing. Was kind of handy for answering natures call after doing a cache...Doh...that was the next cache we were going to do! Go clean it off, quick!

Now I'm semi wireless:

PDA

GPSr

Notebook and pen (I still don't have the hang of that crazy PDA alphabet thing icon_confused.gif)

Be not afraid of greatness: some are born great, some achieve greatness, and some have greatness thrust upon them. The rest go geocaching.

I'm writing a program for my home computer that listens for the phone to ring. When it detects a ring, it grabs a snapshot of a local web-cam cache.

In other words, you don't need anyone to take your photo at the webcam cache, just dial your own phone number on your cellphone!

--Tree

(o< -!!

//  Never laugh at live

V_/_  penguins.