128MB SD card known issue?

Skippy2

I just finished reading a Meridian FAQ from the Yahoo group.

I was surprised to learn that "due to a bug, serial downloads cannot be done to a 128MB SD card." It pointed out that this was in v3.08.

Is this still an issue with v4.02?

If it is, would anyone care to recommend a memory card reader/writer that I should purchase?

I have a Sony Memory Stick reader (for my digital camera) but it is propietary to Sony Memory Sticks only. It is not a 4 in 1 or 6 in 1 reader/writer.

Thanks.

I am runnning 4.02 and was unable to get the 128 to load. It basically timed out after 64 meg. As far as card readers. I am going to be buying a 4/1. Since I have a digital camera that takes CF and the SD from the GPS & Palm. Probably won't be long before I have another device that take a diffent card. I have heard rumor that the next version of the mapsend software will be able to handle the 128's and 256's.. But it's just rumor.

I think the problem was fixed before 4.02, but using an SD card reader is the way to go...MUCH faster. Using the SD card reader, you can save multiple maps, each with different names, and then use "card Utilities" in the Meridian to choose the one you want.

homer.gif

"Just because I don't care doesn't mean I don't understand."

quote:
Originally posted by EMTJeepers:

I am runnning 4.02 and was unable to get the 128 to load. It basically timed out after 64 meg.

Interesting. What do you mean when you say it "basically timed out after 64 meg."? Do you mean it ("timed out") happened when you put the 128MB card into your GPS unit? Or did you mean when you tried to upload map files to it it "timed out"?

I guess I am not as familiar with many GPS terms as I should be.

quote:
Originally posted by Stunod:

using an SD card reader is the way to go...MUCH faster. Using the SD card reader,

Yes, I agree completely. That sure is true when it comes to transferring digital pictures from camera to PC, so I'll bet the same thing happens in getting MapSend to a memory card.

I will get one immdiately. Do you have any recommendations? There are no computer stores within 250 miles either direction of me, so I'll have to get off the Net (eBay, Buy.com, etc.)

Thanks,

quote:
Originally posted by Skippy2:

Interesting. What do you mean when you say it "basically timed out after 64 meg."? Do you mean it ("timed out") happened when you put the 128MB card into your GPS unit? Or did you mean when you tried to upload map files to it it "timed out"?

I guess I am not as familiar with many GPS terms as I should be.

The software program, as it was sending to the unit at 115200, actually stated that it couldn't complete the transaction because it timed out. I tried it several times, thinking it was my battery going dead, even ordered the 12volt plug and brought in my cig plug/air pump to give it power. It still timed out, and always at the same 64meg mark. I even played with the setting of the software, but couldn't find anything about timing. I was able to change the baud rate to higher and the amount of megs it could recognize, but nothing on the timing. icon_rolleyes.gif

quote:

I will get one immdiately. Do you have any recommendations? There are no computer stores within 250 miles either direction of me, so I'll have to get off the Net (eBay, Buy.com, etc.)

These are actually fairly common. If you have an OfficeMax or Office Depot nearby, you can get one there. I think Walmart even carries them. I have used both a Dazzle brand and a SimpleTech...to me they are all the same.

You mention digital cameras transferring pictures to your PC...you might want to find a 4-in-1 or 6-in-1 reader than will read SD cards AND whatever media you use in your camera.

homer.gif

quote:

I simply got the little ZiO! MMC/SD. It's small and cheap.

As for a timeout after 64MB over serial... some people must have *far* too much time on their hands. icon_wink.gif (I haven't used serial map uploading since the first micro-map I uploaded to figure out how to directly copy the maps so I could write that first Meridian + MapSend + SD card HOWTO way back when.)

[[[ ClayJar Networks ]]]

Home of Watcher downloads, Official Geocaching Chat, and the Geocache Rating System

quote:
Originally posted by Stunod:

These are actually fairly common. If you have an OfficeMax or Office Depot nearby, you can get one there. I think Walmart even carries them.

Hi:

I took your suggestion and today I drove 76.3 miles to the nearest Wal-Mart. Closest Office Max/Office Depot - 250 miles. All they had was MultiMedia SD card reader units. No read/write units. Sigh.

I came home, went on the Net and bought one. Now all I have to do is wait for it to come via UPS and stew about the shipping and handling fees.

At least I got to try my Meridian for the first time under "battle" conditions. hahahahahahahah'

Hmm, I always thought that Meridians could only use 64MB or smaller cards anyway. I don't have one myself but I seem to remember reading that when I was out shopping for one.

Is there something I'm missing? Do the 128MB cards work in the units in circumstances other than the one in the stated topic?

----------------------------------------------------------

Until you have the courage to lose sight of the shore,

You will not know the terror of being forever lost at sea.

Firmware 3.12 and higher will use 128meg cards. It's foggy whether you can use 256meg or higher. I'm sure you can. However you may need 4.02.

Skippy wish you had picked up the readers. They don't say read/write. But they all do read and write.

39197_2700.jpg

I am the result of genetic manipulation of superior Geocacher DNA. Faster, stronger with superior reasoning and logic.

Mokita!

quote:

Hi:

I took your suggestion and today I drove 76.3 miles to the nearest Wal-Mart. Closest Office Max/Office Depot - 250 miles. All they had was MultiMedia SD card reader units. No read/write units. Sigh.

This may make your whole trip even more frustrating. Those "reader" units you found actually do write also. I'm not sure where the nomeclature (sp?) started, but for some reason they are referred to as "readers" when they do both reading and writing.

EDIT...oops, didn't read the Ubercacher's note above. Like you needed to hear it twice, huh? Sorry!

homer.gif

I think alot of this information is already posted in the "GPS Units and SOFTWARE Forum".

A look there might be revealing.

Dale

--------------------------------------------------------

I'm Diagonally Parked, In A Parallel Universe.

--------------------------------------------------------