Don't people read cache description pages?

A while back I had a cache plundered, so I moved it a few hundred yards. On the cache description page I left the original coordinates, and added instructions to contact me for the exact coordinates. Yesterday someone contacted me saying they had looked twice using the original (bad) coordinates, and not until they read the cache description page did they know the cache had been moved. So if he didn't read the cache page, how did he get the coordinates? I assume they're listed somewhere else in some other format? And was I wrong in assuming people read cache pages before going out after one? FWIW, I have since made it a multistage cache just so the symbol for such a cache might prod people to look first at my cache page.

I have printed off the closest 25, added maps from other sites and put everything in a three ring binder which we take when we go out. The problem is that if I don't check the cache site from time to time I go out with bad information and not the a current revised information. So It can happen, it would be easy to search using bad information and not know it.

Anyways, not everyone takes the cache description with them. There are some that take a few notes and their GPSr and go.

They may have printed out the cache page before hand. I've gone and searched for an archived cache because I printed the page out a month before. In fact I searched for two archived caches in one day, only to find their status when I got home.

Even now I load cache pages to my PDA, and some of them have been on there for three weeks. I'm not talking about pocket query either, I'm not interested in pocket query. I like having the whole page on my PDA. Images and all.

I would be really upset if I went out to the cache area and found down in the body of the cache desciption that I had to email someone for the coordinates. Before some rocket scientist says "you should have read the description at home", when I take the whole page with me that's all I should need. icon_razz.gif

Oh well enough soap box.

Just have fun

Preperation, the first law to survival.

39197_400.jpg

Anyways, not everyone takes the cache description with them. There are some that take a few notes and their GPSr and go.

They may have printed out the cache page before hand. I've gone and searched for an archived cache because I printed the page out a month before. In fact I searched for two archived caches in one day, only to find their status when I got home.

Even now I load cache pages to my PDA, and some of them have been on there for three weeks. I'm not talking about pocket query either, I'm not interested in pocket query. I like having the whole page on my PDA. Images and all.

I would be really upset if I went out to the cache area and found down in the body of the cache desciption that I had to email someone for the coordinates. Before some rocket scientist says "you should have read the description at home", when I take the whole page with me that's all I should need. icon_razz.gif

Oh well enough soap box.

Just have fun

39197_400.jpg

I guess if you enjoy the possibility of multiple trips to the cache site you don’t need to read the page before you go. But what if you needed a 15' rope with an S hook to retrieve the cache? Not saying you have to read them, just be prepared to not be prepared. I have made second visits because I was not prepared to retrieve the cache. But heck that’s the fun of GeoCaching.

I figured whoever plundered it the first time was not a geocacher but a vandal. Publicizing the new location would probably just be inviting more mischief. (I suppose the topic of private/members only coordinates has been discussed elsewhere on this forum). My intent was to force people to contact me in hopes of the casual vandal with an ISP not revealing his identity by sending me an email request for the location. One other thing..mine was a themed cache where you were only supposed to trade military items (toys, insignias, patches, etc). How would someone know this unless they read the cache page? Guess I'm too new to this to be comfortable just setting out with nothing but the coordinates in hand.

I allways read the descriptions to see if its a theme cache, to make sure what special equipment might be needed, and just to see how interesting the cache sounds. You can carry all the special equipment you want in the vehicle with you, but when you hike in for a mile or two, then find that the special equipment you need is still in the car,, oh well, good exercise i guess!

Some cache owners do put way too much information in their descriptions too. I recently did what a cache owner described as a multicache. He gave coordinates for the first stop, then the trailhead, then the forks in the trail, and of course the cache. We didnt use the first 3 coords and it made for an even nicer hunt.

If you are traveling far to find a cache, i would think that it would be very prudent to read descriptions.. Also, I allways check on the caches i want to find a day or two before we go out. Downloading or printing out more than a week in advance could waste your time as well because of the cache being archived or changed in some way...

We pick an area we have not been to usually and do a search for a cache right in the middle of it and download it with easygps. I usually will blow through some of them to make sure there are not multiple no-finds but other than that, we have as much fun driving around and seeing new sights as we do with the hikes. If we get a no find going blind, then the maps and topozone come out and a printout makes the cache pack.

My opinion is that, if people don't want to go to the effort to read the description page in advance, they take the risk of being disappointed on the trail...and give up their right to be angry at the cache hider when they discover that they are missing something important when they get to the cache area.

My fear is that, without reading important information on the page (like warnings of hazards, or clues to prevent people from trespassing or tearing up the cache area, etc.), there will be higher consequences than merely disappointment about not finding the cache.

I've also found a lot of cache pages which give tips about interesting things to make note of, or to visit, while on the cache hunt. In my opinion, people are shortchanging themselves when they skip the cache page, and work strictly off the coordinates.

-------

"I may be slow, but at least I'm sweet!" 196939_800.jpg

quote:
Originally posted by leatherman:

The rope and S hook is just preperation, I would have that in my vehicle.

I've been to three caches that you needed screw drivers. You could goto a nearby store for that. You may not be able to get email out and about.

I would bet you are in the minority when it comes to having rope and S hooks with you at ALL times in your vehicle. I guess if that is preparation then reading the cache page is?

icon_razz.gif

quote:

I've been to three caches that you needed screw drivers. You could goto a nearby store for that. You may not be able to get email out and about.

I would bet you are in the minority when it comes to having rope and S hooks with you at ALL times in your vehicle. I guess if that is preparation then reading the cache page is?

icon_razz.gif

quote:
Originally posted by Zuckerruebensirup:

My opinion is that, if people don't want to go to the effort to read the description page in advance, they take the risk of being disappointed on the trail...and give up their right to be angry at the cache hider when they discover that they are missing something important when they get to the cache area.

On the other hand, sometimes the greatest disappointment is reading a cache description that details every road to follow, where to turn, where to park, a blow-by-blow description of the trails, etc.. Where is the adventure in that?

quote:
Originally posted by BassoonPilot:

On the other hand, sometimes the greatest disappointment is reading a cache description that details every road to follow, where to turn, where to park, a blow-by-blow description of the trails, etc.. Where is the adventure in that?

I agree,

Seems like people get a little too helpful sometimes..one of the best cache hunts I can remember is where the coords. were off by 130ft. and I left the cache page in the truck..otherwise the clue would have given it away.

We searched for 45 minutes and finally found it...we turned a 1/1 into a 1/3 due to our blunder..but it sure was fun.

Some of the best caches are "no information" just coords. Gives the seeker a "different" feeling due to no clues or hints.

Im not one for cookie cutter type of caches, I try to make it challenging in one way or another for the seeker, just ask anyone who has searched for mine. The challenge makes it fun and gives the seeker a sense of accomplishment when they complete the challenge. People are smarter than they let on to be, challenge them and you'll see!

C-Troop

quote:
Originally posted by Team 5-oh!:

icon_razz.gif

Ok Mr. Rocket Scientist did you read all the posts I made or are you just going to call me a liar for having some common equipment in my vehicle. Everyone should carry rope. S hooks are common on rubber bunjies and ratchet straps.

Anyways my point was, now that I have to explain every detail, if I print the cache page out or load it to my PDA when I look at it out in the field. By field I mean not at home where I can write and recieve email. Whether at another cache location or enroute to one. At work, at a friends, anywhere but at home where my computer is.

At no time did I say while standing on the coordinates. Reading the description in a fit of rage.

firedevil.gif

flamethrower.gif

flaming.gif

That was fun now your turn.

39197_400.jpg

quote:
Originally posted by Team 5-oh!:

icon_razz.gif

Ok Mr. Rocket Scientist did you read all the posts I made or are you just going to call me a liar for having some common equipment in my vehicle. Everyone should carry rope. S hooks are common on rubber bunjies and ratchet straps.

Anyways my point was, now that I have to explain every detail, if I print the cache page out or load it to my PDA when I look at it out in the field. By field I mean not at home where I can write and recieve email. Whether at another cache location or enroute to one. At work, at a friends, anywhere but at home where my computer is.

At no time did I say while standing on the coordinates. Reading the description in a fit of rage.

firedevil.gif

flamethrower.gif

flaming.gif

That was fun now your turn.

39197_400.jpg

quote:

Wow did you see anywhere in my post where the word liar is mentioned? Nope didnt think so. Everyon should carry rope because? Everyone has bunjies because? Get a grip, get out and enjoy life. And the name calling, whewwww... Try cutting back on your daily Caffeine intake. Flame war? If you feel the need I guess! But that makes you no more correct than before.

Anyway, had you of read the cache page you would have noticed that you would have needed to email for coordinates (if that was ever to happen to you).

Wasted enough time here.... Moving on.

The lair part was implied by your Oki Doki condescending remark.

If your going to make juvenile comments, then don't get upset if someone else has a juvenile reply.

Everyone has the potential of dealing with plundered caches. Your cache may have been taken by someone by accidental find, or due to a careless hunter. Allowing some malicious whoevers to find it.

I have a plundered cache.

However I wouldn't imposition other cachers with a hoki attempt at security. Then make fun at them searching for the cache without emailing you.

xyxwave.gif

Don't extend your expectations on others then point fingers at them when they fall short of them.

39197_400.jpg

After posting my OPINIONs you have determined that I would like to have a flame war? I wont go that far and call it a war, but let me point a couple things out.

quote:

I've gone and searched for an archived cache because I printed the page out a month before. In fact I searched for two archived caches in one day.

Caches not found due to using outdated info. Not the hiders fault.

quote:

Theme caches have been discussed alot in the forums.You can't expect everyone to conform to your theme. Do you really think that everyone has items that conform to your theme. Some people don't trade anything.

Did I miss a post? What theme? But since we are on the subject. If you visit a theme cache and dont have a theme related item then log only. But had the cache page been read the hunter may have well been prepared to leave a theme related item.

quote:

Again, my point was you are probably in the minority when it comes to having these items with you at ALL times. And Oki Doki was not meant as a condescending remark.

quote:

Ok the flame war is on, hold on let me puff out my chest..

Flame war, whatever!

quote:

If your going to make juvenile comments, then don't get upset if someone else has a juvenile reply.Don't extend your expectations on others then point fingers at them when they fall short of them.

Me upset, not hardly. I was just pointing out that Elvis has left the building (if you know what I mean). And I was not going to touch "juvenile" but... I think that calling a flame war rates right in there. And what expectations have been extended? Expecting a cache hunter to read the cache info pages? I could go on for hours but will spare this thread any further undue posts. I have sent you an email and attached mine if you would care to continue this out of the forum.

end

[This message was edited by Team 5-oh! on August 11, 2002 at 08:26 PM.]

Claypigeon58's third post reffered to a theme. Yes you did miss it. eviltongue.gif

Oki Doki is condesending.

Telling anyone that they have to conform to the theme, is extending your expectations. Every cacher is in this for them selves.

Upset? I don't know but your keeping this going.

evillaugh.gif

39197_400.jpg

Many people choose to not read the cache descriptions. However, that's not the cache placer's problem. Many of the caches I've placed would be impossible to find without reading the description. If you want to require an email to get the coords, feel free, but don't be surprised if not many people hunt your cache, or if a few people don't like it.

25021_1200.gif

"Many people choose to not read the cache descriptions."

Many people can't remember what they read.

"However, that's not the cache placer's problem."

Good, we've gotten away from placing blame. It's nobody's fault, either.

"Many of the caches I've placed would be impossible to find without reading the description. If you want to require an email to get the coords, feel free, but don't be surprised if not many people hunt your cache, or if a few people don't like it."

Yeah, but the world would be so much better if everybody was just like me!

PS: Can you teach me how to do that flame thrower thingie?

Just don't let Kirk show you what he affectionately calls the 'Captain's Log'

I have a web-enabled cell phone that only shows the main coordinates, the name of the cache hider, the name of the cache and some other non-identifying information. I've noticed that some cache pages give the coordinates for the parking area, then include the actual coordinates for the cache within the body of the description. One No Find on the first cache I located described the problem that one cacher had with this cache, namely that he was in the area and looked it up on his web-enabled phone. See the 8/2/2002 entry for http://www.geocaching.com/seek/cache_details.asp?ID=10831

Though I always take a printout of the cache description page with me so I can decode the hint if I need to, on a recent trip, I either left the description at home or lost it on my first attempt and tried to locate it with my cell phone. The main cache coordinates were the parking lot nearby and after I figured out my problem, called a friend to get him to log on to the internet and give me the correct coordinates. Unfortunately, by the time I figured out the problem, got in touch with my buddy and go the correct coordinates, it was nearing dark and I had to give up. See my Not Found entry for 8/9/2002 at http://www.geocaching.com/seek/cache_details.asp?ID=16685

That could possibly offer a limited explanation for this phenomenon.

quote:
Originally posted by claypigeon58:

...was I wrong in assuming people read cache pages before going out after one? FWIW, I have since made it a multistage cache just so the symbol for such a cache might prod people to look first at my cache page.

From what I can tell, even the cache approvers don't read the descriptions! I know I'm in a hurry sometimes and just rush out in the field with the coordinates and a prayer. Changing the symbol was an imaginative idea, although I'd call it an Unknown Cache since it's not really a Multi or offset.