Cache pages and PDAs

To avoid the senseless killing of a forest of trees for my vacation caching, is there a way/feature that will allow me to download cached cache pages into a PalmReader or Mobi format? I have the ability through my AZ site, but not for the Wyoming/Montana areas I'll be in a few weeks. This will become very tedious if I have to make a memo for each cache with the info I need.

Brian

Team A.I.

The way I do it is with gpx file from the PQ. I run them thru gpx2html to create a set of html "web" pages for each cache. Plucker then converts these to a form you can use on your PDA (unless you are running PocketPC, then you can just view the html files directly).

Try it out...you'll really like it.

homer.gif

"Just because I don't care doesn't mean I don't understand."

I'm a die-hard PalmReader user. I've heard mixed reviews about Mobi, and don't plan on messing with it much. Also, according to the admins of the azgeocaching.com site, I can click over to http://www.palmdigitalmedia.com/

and use the Palm Drop Book program and drop the pages in and create the same type of book I have available through them, which I LOVE.

Check out this link and just create a book using a few of the caches. Add it to your list of programs to 'install' and it will sync in to be used with PalmReader. Quite a nice setup. I'll be trying out all available options and see which one I prefer in the longrun.

Thanks to everyone with suggestions.

Brian

Team A.I.

I recommend using GPX Spinner and Plucker. The cache pages display on the Palm almost the same as they are on the web site. Plus there's many different ways of sorting and searching for caches and it shows nearest caches to the one you are looking at and one tap access to the cache hints. So far on all the cache pages that have formatted colums, like math problems, they appear just like you would see them on the web site. Plus with GPX Spinner, you have several options for modifying the waypoint info before you send it to the GPS. I also use Watcher to view the GPX files on the PC at home. The Spinner/Plucker combo is way better than MobiPocket. You do have to get your queries sent with GPX format in order for them to work.

"The best way to accelerate a Macintosh is at 9.8m/sec/sec."

-Marcus Dolengo

quote:
Originally posted by Brian - Team A.I.:

Ok, so I checked out Stunod's suggestions as soon as I got home, and I must say I like it. The informatino is more plain-text than I was used to, but I like its organization and the close cache thing. This should make my planning much less difficult.

Brian

Team A.I.

Be sure to use the reflocation.txt file also. It will create indexes sorted by distance from the coords you enter. I use my home & work coords...very handy.

homer.gif

"Just because I don't care doesn't mean I don't understand."

Is there anything for the Pocket PC's for querrying? I am still waiting for my member number from paypal to become a member here so havent had a chance to look at the querry software. Right now I am just opening up the print laout webpage and select all copy paste to word, then format make Table of Contents and save as web for the Pocket PC.But took about 3 hrs to get the 78 caches within 20 miles of my Loc. not sure I wanna spent the time on the 580+ caches within 100 miles.

I bought a GPS. Now I get lost with style.

NM just read more on GPX Spinner it looks like I can use that on the PocketPC since it outputs to html.

Well I have a couple screen shots etc and a little info in my pocket pc faq I've written at

http://www.mdgps.net/pocketcaching/

This is the 1st version and I have alot to add to it but this might help you some.

quote:
Originally posted by Dream Alchemist:

Hey Crashmore, is there a page that talks about this program? screenshots? I saw the forum, but not much action there.

I bought a GPS. Now I get lost with style.

-------------------------------------

Hope is the destination that we seek.

Love is the road that leads to hope.

Courage is the motor that drives us.

We travel out of darkness into faith.

-=The Book Of Counted Sorrows=-