Themed Caches???

Here is a search for threads related to themed caches.

I think many people create and look for themed caches.

Themes, I assume, are interesting because they are different than any other caches. They can get boring if everyone leaves the same objects or never brings any new ones. They even might have the diversity that other caches have, if the leavers and takers get creative, or if the creator gets creative in how the cache is to be handled.

My first find was a themed cache.

Is there is database our there with a list of all themed caches?

______________________________________________ Kanto

It is entirely up to you if a thing leads to something useful or not.

My brother and I hid several caches this weekend in the North Atlanta area (Alpharetta). Check out The Kobayashi Maru, and it will point you to two of the others in the theme. The caches are named after ships from movies, and you have to find the first two in order to find the third.

----------------------------------------------------------------

"A noble spirit embiggins the smallest man." - Jebediah Springfield

----------------------------------------------------------------

So far I've put out four caches and three of them have been themed. I think they're great fun, and it seems that the people who find them do as well. Not everyone sticks to the theme, so periodically I visit the caches and restock - removing non-theme items and adding new items in keeping with the theme. My wife and I have great fun thinking up items for the caches and some of the finders show ingenuity in coming up with items that fit the theme.

Our theme caches are all in southern California. They are:

1. Thar's GOLD in Them Thar Hills - everything in the cache has to do with gold. Originally I had some great items such as a real gold nugget, gold coins and so forth in the cache. There have also been gold jewelry, watches, a picture of Goldie Hawn, a picture of Golda Meir, gold glitter cosmetics, etc. This cache has received a lot of visits and very positive reviews.

2. Kewbz - Everything in the cache is a cube - Rubik's cubes, other cube puzzles, cubic zirconia earrings, different sizes and types of dice, etc. Not many visitors as this one is in a fairly remote location.

3. Lighten Up! - Everything has to do with light - flashlights, keychain lights, a lighthouse, Christmas lights, etc. Also, everything that needs batteries has them, so everything works. For some reason, visitors have been much more faithful in sticking to the theme on this one. It also gets many visitors, being in a scenic location.

I plan on placing mostly theme caches - have plans in the works for several more right now, and the wife and I spend lots of time searching flea markets and swap meets for items that will fit the caches we have in mind. Personally, I think the process of coming up with a good theme, finding imaginative items to put in the cache and tracking the reactions of people who visit it are every bit as much fun for us as caching is.

Another question along this line. How many of you have done that night time themed caches, that is one we would like to put out in our area, but not sure quite how to do it, or how long to make it. I have seen quite a few patriotic themed caches and some that are movie or game themes. I have looked at one or two of the night time caches but, they sound so hard to put out.

I haven't found a theme cache yet that I was interested in so they usually get the ol' TNLN.

As far as the night time theme cache, on the night time part make sure to make it only possible to do at night. There are one or two around here that I've done during the day just because I could and after doing them I don't think they would have been much better at night but thats because the time and effort wasn't put into them. Those are just my (negative) opinions. Sorry for sounding negative but hope it can help anyway.

migo_sig_logo.jpg

Caching without a clue....

I put a cache in a park called Duncan Woods. I had a thing for the Duncan Imperial Yo-Yo as a kid, so I made it a theme cache. It is a yo-yo exchange cache. It has seen yo-yos, travel bugs and sig items. All of them are fine with me, but the first time an Imperial shows up...

Animated_MiGO_A88.gif

"Let me see if I got this right... you have to buy an expensive GPSr to find a box of junk?" - T-Mac's Son

"There's happy meal toys in the boxes? Let's go" - T-Mac's Son again