GPS Unit Advice and a Hello to the site!

Suspect2

Okay, I have been lurking here a while and have discussed geocaching with the wife. It looks like it's a go. I am very familiar with GPS and Land Nav courtesy of the United States military but have never thought of using it for fun! Usually, it is surrounded by long stints in the woods with lots of heavy equipment to be lugged on my back, minimal food, sleep, water, and clean clothes.

With that said... I live in Bowie, MD where I will begin caching. I plan on taking the show on the road to PA and Central NY (where I am originally from).

----Now, on to GPS advice----

Okay here is the deal... the wife and I are going to be getting a GPS. She has stated she really wants a color one. Now the problem...

Magellan Meridian Platnum (has all the features I WANT) - Digi Compass, Expandability, Ext Antenna Hookup

Magellan Meridian Color - Doesn't have digi compass and I am having a HUGE problem with this. Otherwise has Ext Antenna Hookup, and expandability

Magellan Sportrack Color - Best screen resolution, digi compass, NO EXPANDABILITY (just the 32mb it comes with), NO EXT ANTENNA HOOKUP

We plan on using topo maps for geocaching, camping, hiking, ect. I would also like to mount this in my truck and use it. I do not know how well it will work without an ext antenna.

Right now I'm leaning towards the ST Color because of the nice screen (color which is what wife likes) and digi compass. I just don't know how much I am limiting myself without expandability. If I was to be away from a computer for an extended period of time it would be in the woods not covering enough ground to need multiple maps. I own a laptop to use on the go... How about your thoughts on which GPS?

Also, SHE is paying for it... I am merely going to be using it... mostly. :wink:

quote:
Originally posted by Suspect2:

Magellan Meridian Color - Doesn't have digi compass and I am having a HUGE problem with this. Otherwise has Ext Antenna Hookup, and expandability

Personally I have little problem with this as I always carry a normal compass on me anyway so I'm not sure why its such a huge problem? 20.00 and you have as good a compass as the unit could have, then get all the things you wanted aside from that.

Keith

Bear & Ducky

B&D,

I was thinking that same thing....

But which one outweights the other....

Expandability (will I really need it) and Ext Antenna option / No Digi Compass (ease of use) and "okay" screen

or

No expandability (will I really need it) and No Ext Antenna (will I really need it) / Digi Compass (makes life easier) and Hell of a nice screen

Unless you have have a film in your window like a Montana Van your GPS will work find on the dashbaord.

Expandability is nice but 32mb will let you load topo for the entire state for most of the states except maybe a few of the larger ones.

The compass is nice but if you havn't used one you won't miss it in a GPS.

Color is nice but the trade off is battery life. If I had to choose id stick with good battery life.

Sorry to hear that. I really hate Magellan. Way too many problems from too many users over the years. If you want color, or it's mandatory considering your wife, I would go with the Garmin 76S which is color and has alot of nice features. For me, it's always been Lowrance all the way. For heavy tree coverage, I've never seen another GPS unit beat a Lowrance. I use the Global Map 100, which the picture to the left is.......

If it isn't hard, it isn't worth doing right?

I think you'll be pleased with your Sportrak. Pay no attention to the Garmin and Lowrance hecklers. My sportrak is very accurate and has yet to fail me. Besides, Informal research and polls have shown that Magellan owners average higher intelligence and are much more attractive than other GPS owners.

"Me transmitte sursum, Caledoni!"

quote:
Originally posted by LowranceTracker1:

For me, it's always been Lowrance all the way. For heavy tree coverage, I've never seen another GPS unit beat a Lowrance. I use the Global Map 100, which the picture to the left is.......

Amen to that. My GM100 will get lock in the thickest of cover and hold it the whole time.

I have a Lowrance Global Map 100, Magellan Meridian Platnium, and a Garmin GPS V.

The V is the one I use everyday because of the autorouting which takes me everywhere and back.

Personally I think that color is a gimmick and there is no reason for it. I've also heard that the color units eat the batteries faster than the non color versions.

Also I'm pretty sure that the Garmin 76S is a B&W unit and not color as mentioned above.

I know the V wasn't in your list but I think its worth looking at. The only thing that I don't like about it is the fact that it doesn't take a memory card.

I don't have an external antenna for any of my gps units and don't see a need for them. I wouldn't worry about that in your consideration of a unit. My V sits on my dashboard and locks up no problem. The GM100 can get and hold a lock sitting on the seat.

As far as the Plat is concerned I can't tell you much about it as I've had it for over 7 months now and have only used it for about 5 minutes. I do like the fact that it takes a SD card for expanded memory which is great. Also, Magellan is going to be releasing autorouting software for their Meridians and I think the sport traks too. When that happens if it didn't already I will pickup a copy of it and thats when I will probably start using the Plat. I really love the screen res of my V though. We'll see and good luck.

MiGO

Caching with a clue....