Wet Cache

What is it with damp caches and low hit rates. I have two new canoe (required) caches and no hits. one is a few weeks old and the other one is brand new. I have another cache that requires you to hop rocks in little verticle walled canyon stream or get your feet wet and again it's been a month since the last try. I know I should be more patient but I look for caches like these and can't wait to get out and find them. I guess I shouldn't project my obsessions on others but I'm a little disappointed in the crowd reaction.

Maybe it's just a simple matter of numbers. What percentage of the population has both a GPS and a canoe? Also, it takes extra gear to anticipate getting wet and maybe many folks want to carry or pack as little as possible.

High and dry (drought and burn bans everywhere!) in Texas ...

I would think the same thing would be true for rock climbing caches or deep back country caches. There's less people willing to tackle these obstacles :. less hits.

You want your cache to get hit within five minutes of posting? Place it 500 feet from the parking area of a forest preserve. icon_wink.gif

I guess there are just so many caches available out there now, people choose what they want to handle. I know there are other cachers like you that go out of their way to find hydrocaches (some “pottery-container” people I know). Just be patient. A couple of weeks is not any great period of time for a hydrocache.

Markwell

Chicago Geocachers

I would think the same thing would be true for rock climbing caches or deep back country caches. There's less people willing to tackle these obstacles :. less hits.

You want your cache to get hit within five minutes of posting? Place it 500 feet from the parking area of a forest preserve. icon_wink.gif

I guess there are just so many caches available out there now, people choose what they want to handle. I know there are other cachers like you that go out of their way to find hydrocaches (some “pottery-container” people I know). Just be patient. A couple of weeks is not any great period of time for a hydrocache.

Markwell

Chicago Geocachers

Three of my five caches require a canoe and it seems that I'm lucky if they're hit once a month (it's typically longer than that). For $25, one can easily rent a canoe for an entire day and find all three of my caches (they're all in the same lake). People have an aversion to "out of pocket costs" (that's a whole other rant .)

I agree with earlier statements ... not that many people own a boat and a GPS.

Easy get hit all the time. Caches requiring an effort seldom get hit. But they do get hit eventually. I have one cache over a year old with only 3 hits. The view alone is worth the trip but that's how it goes.

Another cache I put up a month ago has just one hit and it requires a 5 mile round trip hike. I knew that one will only get get a couple of times a year.

Then again the nearly drive up caches get hit several times a month.

It's ok by me, I just wanted to give cachers options.

Never Squat With Yer Spurs On

Last weekend I did an area with 3 caches but only hit 2 because it promised a wet creek crossing. I wasn't prepared and will probably wait for the area to dry up a bit. We've been averaging an inch of rain a week so I know it's pretty full at the moment. Also I placed a cache in a remote area here and got 1 hit over the weekend. Someone elses near me is actually harder to get to, but is pretty close to roads and the lake. It was found 3 times.

I'm thinking I should place a few more (bait) near my remote cache and maybe that will give some incentive to go out there.

O.T.B.

No Matter Where You Go... There You Are...

I know I select caches based on if it would be kid friendly. I know that canoeing is a family oriented thing but managing kids on a cache hunt "I Tired, are we there yet, I don't want walk anymore" is at times tedious enough without have to manage boating safety on top of that.

Now if I can find the time to go it alone. I would be all for it.

Cache On!!

James

"Big Dog"

-Clan Ferguson

I'm a relative newcomer, and am not likely to complete a "wet" cache anytime soon....but, in an odd sort of way I love seeing caches that don't get visited very often. I suppose it's a bit of a bummer for the person that creates it. However, I kind of like the thought that, even though few have found it, that there is something "out there". It may be months before anyone sees it, but just the fact that it is "out there somewhere" is an intriguing thought. Kind of like the Titanic wreckage before it was located. We all knew it was there somewhere.....along with lots of mystery and intrigue, even though nobody knew for sure where it was. Once it was found, it was cool to view it....but, some of the mystery and intrigue was removed once it was found.

I don't know, maybe my thinking is off the wall a bit, but it wouldn't be much fun if every single cache was easy and discovered frequently....even though those are the only ones I've done thusfar!

Originally posted by SkyTrek:

What is it with damp caches and low hit rates. I have two new canoe (required) caches and no hits. one is a few weeks old and the other one is brand new. I have another cache that requires you to hop rocks in little verticle walled canyon stream or get your feet wet and again it's been a month since the last try. I know I should be more patient but I look for caches like these and can't wait to get out and find them. I guess I shouldn't project my obsessions on others but I'm a little disappointed in the crowd reaction.[/quote

My neighbor said that I could borrow his to hit a couple caches that require water travel. Even then. One I know of requires that you dive down to get it. So I need someone to go with me to hold the gps while I swim. I guess I could just anchor the canoe but I've never been in a canoe and I'm not sure I could even get back in once I got out.

I really want to get the cache, I just haven't worked it out yet.

george

Remember: Half the people you meet are below average.

quote:
Originally posted by DisQuoi:

Strangely, practically every pilot I know owns a gps, but none owns a boat. icon_wink.gif

I like hydrocaches ... particularly the ones where I get to use my chestwaders and get stuck in the muck. icon_wink.gif

quote:
Originally posted by DisQuoi:

Strangely, practically every pilot I know owns a gps, but none owns a boat. icon_wink.gif

I like hydrocaches ... particularly the ones where I get to use my chestwaders and get stuck in the muck. icon_wink.gif