Are there procedures for a cache adoption?

I had to write to a Reno geocacher and have him go get one I placed before I moved out of there. I archived the cache and told him to just take whatever he wanted and re-name it and re-place it anywhere, it was alot better than just leaving it there to rot.

quote:
Originally posted by Renegade Knight:

The cache owner would email contact@geocaching.com with the cache and who is to adopt it. It doesn't hurt (that I know) for the person adopting the cache to also email and say they wish to adopt the cache. That way they know both parties argree.

You can do it the opposite way as well - I sent Jeremy a copy of the message from the owner in which he asked me to adopt the caches and to go ahead and contact geocaching.com. I included his e-mail just in case. The transfer was no problem.

Ron/yumitori

quote:
Originally posted by Turtle3863:

Is there a way that you can take over a cache that has no owner? When I tryed to notify the cache owner, they were no longer an active member, but the cache is still active.

Hmmm, I seem to have all sorts of answers for this thread... I also adopted a local cache whose owner disappeared. In this particular situation the case was fairly clear - the owner had found one cache, had hidden the cache in question the next day, and has not logged onto geocaching.com since. When a problem developed with the cache I first e-mailed the address on their page and got no response. So a few days later I wrote Jeremy, laid out the background, and offered to adopt it. He agreed and assigned it to me.

Ron/yumitori