BookCrossing.com

TeamK-9

I did a quick search and I found a few posts that quickly mentioned this site but nothing really got into much detail. I'm talking about the service called bookcrossing.com. It's sort of like a travel bug thing, except with books, well, anyway, I was wondering if anyone had had any good experiences with using this as a trade item or something for FTF's sort of like a where's george bill.

----

Extra batteries for GPS, don't leave home without 'em.

I think it's a good idea. I've been meaning to register a few books, but I want them to be books that I WANT someone else to read, not just any book to get some out there.

They don't have to be in a geocache, by the way -- they can be anywhere! Check out the site for more info.

Joel (joefrog)

"Do not meddle in the affairs of dragons, for ye are crunchy and taste good with ketchup!"

This Cache is one I filled with bookcrossing registered books.

Kind of a fun thing to do. I usually keep a couple paperbacks in my trade bag that have been tagged with them.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I have never been lost. Been awful confused for a few days, but never lost!

N61.12.041 W149.43.734

I think it really is an awesome idea, but when searching, I didn't really find it getting much more than a few words of mention in any other topic, and so I decided to give it it's own topic. It really is an awesome idea and I think it's alot cooler than where's george. Even if you don't read it, it's really cool to just keep it circulated like that.

----

I combine geocaching with bookcrossing and wheresgeorge. I have found several interesting books - the best bookcrossing cache so far was Media Cache in Atlanta.

I will place two of the books I have found and read (Philip Wylie's Opus 21 and Colleen McCullough's Morgan's Run) when I go over to cache with the GGA this weekend.

Bookcrossing.com and geocaching go hand in hand, and it's much more fun to read a book than a McToy!

Have Fun,

Ed

No man is so foolish but he may sometimes give another good counsel, and no man so wise that he may not easily err if he takes no other counsel than his own. He that is taught only by himself has a fool for a master.

- Ben Jonson -Sixteenth century English dramatist.

quote:
Originally posted by Jeremy (Admin):

It's listed under the http://www.geocaching.com/links/ on the site, along with other hitchiker types outside of Geocaching.com

smile.gif Jeremy Irish

Groundspeak - The Language of Location

We have a Letterbox Hybrid category, so what about a Bookcrossing Hybrid category too?? I am sure that if the small minority of people who contribute to the forums is knowledgeable and utilizing it, then it would probably translate well into the bigger mainstream of geocaching. Any thoughts Jeremy?

---------------------------------------

Free your mind and the rest will follow

Wow, I'm so honored to have my first topic with a reply from Jeremy, even if it was just a markwell. Just a little humor... Anyway, yeah, I'd like to see Bookcrossing somehow integrated into geocaching, but that would probably take a lengthy legal process.

----

quote:
Originally posted by K-9Cacher:

Wow, I'm so honored to have my first topic with a reply from Jeremy, even if it was just a markwell. Just a little humor... Anyway, yeah, I'd like to see Bookcrossing somehow integrated into geocaching, but that would probably take a lengthy legal process.

----

Why do you think that?? I doubt it would take much modification at all.

---------------------------------------

Free your mind and the rest will follow

This post might be a little "out there" and maybe it needs to be in a different section, but the topic is here, so I'm going to go with it.

What if there were a way to create a bookcrossing book/travel bug hybrid? I've considered this for a while and would love to give it a shot.

Only one thing needed: a way to log bookcrossing books on Geocaching.com. The problem is, if someone picks the book up as a travelbug and then places it as a bookcrossing book there's no way to transfer it again as a travelbug (since it was never logged into a cache).

I think what would be necessary is an imaginary cache (note, not locationless, not virtual) we could call "The Bookcrossing Library." You wouldn't be able to log it as a find, but only as a note to log a bookcrossing/travelbug hybrid in or out.

I know this is a little "out there" and it's not been done before, but it might be a nice thing to start. Bookcrossing seems to be a passion that many geocachers share and its interests seem very similar to ours. This could be a very nice partnership.

Any thoughts?

"The kingdom of heaven is like treasure hidden in a field.

When a man found it, he hid it again." Mt. 13:44

CYBret's Geocaching Page

quote:
Originally posted by CYBret:

What if there were a way to create a bookcrossing book/travel bug hybrid?

The first thought that popped into my head was you'd simply attach a TB tag to a bookcrossing book (or write the number on the bookcrossing sticker).

But then it occurred to me you'd just be creating double work for finders (logging the cache, the TB, and the bookcrossing).

Then I realized, you can already track books on bookcrossing so would this be redundant?

Enjoy,

Randy

quote:
Originally posted by RJFerret:Then I realized, you can already track books on bookcrossing so would this be redundant?

The problem would be if I logged it out of a geocache (as a travelbug) then left it in a coffeeshop (as a bookcrossing book). Since the coffeeshop isn't a geocache, there's no way for the cacher to log it in. So, there would need to be some system in place to allow for it to be logged into a generic location (The Bookcrossing Library).

Anyway, it's just a thought. I was all excited about my bookcrossing/travelbug hybrid idea until I realized this little snafu in my thinking. I doubt it's anything Jeremy would want to invest a lot of time in right now, but still, I think it would be a good partnership for us/them.

Bret

"The kingdom of heaven is like treasure hidden in a field.

When a man found it, he hid it again." Mt. 13:44

CYBret's Geocaching Page