Let's talk about shoes!

quote:
Originally posted by Acceptable Risk:

Twice now someone's mentioned "OMG, you came down *that* in sneakers? So I'm convinced that I need to get some shoes... Not boots, shoes...

Do they really make a difference?

You shouldn't get new shoes based on the opinion of a couple of astounded people. If you "came down that" in sneakers then obviously sneakers are fine. Stick with what works for you.

"There's no need to be afraid of strange noises in the night. Anything that intends you harm will stalk you silently."

quote:

New Balance 8xx series lighter than sneakers and all the traction of hiking boots. $70-$100

I have a couple of pair of NB 804, and besides being one of the FEW shoes that come in a narrow B width on the entire Planet..Grumble Grumble.... the tiny lugs wear out fast!

What's up with that? It's like less than 3/16" of soft rubber lugs and then the shoe is a virtual slick, while the tops have plenty of wear left?

Solved one big drawback of low-top running shoes.

Finally did myself (and my socks) a favor and bought some gaiters at REI, to keep the stickers and dirt out of my socks.

Why didn't I do this years ago and save myself many hours of sticker picking and poking?

-----

David

i'll have to look for a new pair soon. my current favorite boots are 4 years old. herman survivors. they would have made it many more years had i not used them at GZ. i have a few tears in welt due to debris. still love them.

can you still buy these

83757_600.jpg

wings_flag.gif

Fire burns, and when it rains... you get wet.

Bought a pair of Faded Glory hiking boots at Walmart, waterproof. Comfy from day one, kept me dry today in the rain, and I'll let you know how long they last. Price $19.95. At that price I can buy 9 pairs a year!

Cache you later,

Planet

spacecraft.gif

"It doesn't matter whether you're going somewhere or nowhere, whether you're doing something or nothing. If you're doing it in a boat it's the best time ever!" -Water Rat from "The Wind in the Willows" by Kenneth Grahame (a book I picked up in a cache)

Interesting. On my personal pages, I took a note from Show Me The Cache, and rated my cache finds (and hides) with different footwear (necessary footweat, not necessarily what was worn):

• driveby (mostly for Geodashes)
  • barefoot
  • sandals
  • heels
  • sneakers
  • boots
  • boat
For the boot caches, I have a pair of hiking boots I got at an outfitter in Tennessee. Gortex lining, along with SmartWool hiking socks. Have to get out to the closet to see again what the brand of boot is. Ankle and arch support is great for those long non-pavement walks. On any paved path longer than a few hundred feet, my arches ACHE.

Markwell

Chicago Geocaching

I realize you have had copious suggestions, but I would consider two pair:

1. Either a cross trainer or a light hiking boot depending on what type of terrain you cover when the weather is good. I wear cross trainers. Sacrificed a pair of Converse cross trainers to the Cache gods when they were mercilessly slaughtered by the Elkhorn river while placing my Geocache. Now I wear a pair of ECCO's. Nice, and got them VERY cheap via Cabella's bargain cave...

2. A pair of warm weather boots. I have a pair of Nike ACG's. A great waterproof boot that has Thinsulate in them. Toasty pigs make for happy caching, I always say.

Try Cabellas. They are often less expensive than REI.

remybussi.gif By appointment to the Court of HRM Queen Mikki I. remybussi.gif