WAAS is officially operational

I've never really bothered using my GPS V with WAAS enabled until reading this thread. Today I flipped it on while driving home from work (mostly highway, flat and wide open) and found it very interesting. With the V sitting on the dashboard, I was able to get as high as 9 WAAS fixes and accuracy down to 2 metres (less than 7 feet). I noted that although signal strength was very high on each sat, it was very fragile and would kick off when going under any overpasses or travelling through any low lying dips in the topography. The satellite status screen would indicate at best: 3D Differential accuracy 2 metres (9 WAAS sats), then would drop down to 2D diff. acc. 4 metres (3 or 4 sats showing WAAS), and then further to a normal fix reading 3D GPS Location accuracy 6 metres.

I'll probably continue to not have it enabled for regular caching purposes but it was great to see the improved accuracy obtainable whenever I may need it.

Cheers, Olar

"You are only young once but you can stay immature forever"

Just so there is no confusion, there are only 2 WAAS sats, one to the SE and one to the SW, but either one or both can augument the signals of all the other sats, as long as you are within the area of the US.

4497_300.jpg

"See the wonderous works of Providence! The uncertainty of human things!" Geo.Washington