Cobra 18 channel GPSR

Gimpy

Caught this in the news today. Wonder how good they'll be. Cobra .Should be interesting. 3 different models from $149.95 to $249.95. On the surface, looks like they'll be geared more toward road navigation.

Scroll to Jan. 9th, press release.

Monday is an awful way to spend 1/7th of your life.

[This message was edited by Gimpy on February 09, 2003 at 05:53 PM.]

QUOTE:

The GPS 100, GPS 500 and GPS 1000 models include Cobra's exclusive Accelerated Satellite Acquisition Protocol (ASAP) technology that accesses 18 channels, as opposed to the category standard of 12, to locate a user's position up to twice as fast as any GPS technology in the consumer market.

END QUOTE

BLAH! Show me a sky with 18 satellites visible! Marketing weasels strike again!

18 channels! Wow, that's 50% better than 12! It must be FANTASTIC!

*sigh* Leave it to a CB manufacturer. Their next one will probably have 40 channels. And a built-in echo box.

--

Scott Johnson (ScottJ)

Well, the some of the software that predicts satelitte cover says that 14 sats in view is not uncommon (there may be times with more, but I did not activitly search for them), plus 2 WAAS birds, and possible of a third you can have 17 sats filled there.

I think more GPSr channels will become more common, right now my meridian is using 2 for WAAS, so that leaves me with 10 free (shuting of WAAS does not free the channels).

Wyatt W.

The probability of someone watching you is directly proportional to the stupidity of your actions.

quote:
Originally posted by ScottJ:

BLAH! Show me a sky with 18 satellites visible! Marketing weasels strike again!

I have no idea how good or bad Cobra's GPS products will be, but the 'marketing weasels' seem to have gotten things right this time. The only claim made for the larger number of channels is faster acquisition time and that should be true. When first acquiring, the receiver has to spend some time sweeping the frequency and checking for correlation with the code of each particular satellite that's predicted to be visible.

Being able to assign multiple receiver channels to some of the satellites should make this acquisition process faster assuming that everything else about the design is equal.

Probably future GPSr's will have more channels BUT this has to be put in prospective with regards many other variables.

Almost regardless of ones location the biggest % of satellite availability will be in the 8 to 9/10 type range and any reciever which wants to use everything right down to zero horizon is really pushing the 12 channel myth.

As for WAAS, it does have a satellite mask so only transmits corrections for satellites above that mask angle. Regardless if other satellites are visible if there's no correction data then one can't make use of them.

Now if these people had mentioned a GPS+Glonass capability then 18 channels (even more with time) could be usefull but they don't and for the price one wouldn't/shouldn't really be expecting a dual system capability anyway.

Faster acquisition solely due to having 18 channels, I would question that one but there's really not enough information (apart from what appears purely sales talk) to get a real impression.

Cheers, Kerry.

I never get lost icon_smile.gif everybody keeps telling me where to go icon_wink.gif

my gps i the plane lock onto 24 sattelites and is accurate up to 5 feet and it also costed 2 million $ that the plane company put in

I hope English isn't this individual's native language. At least I pray they are not FLYING airplanes! :rolleyes:

So let me see if I've got this...you are saying if someone does not speak perfect english, they should not be flying a plane? ;)