CacheMate 2.1

Maeglin

Actually, just found a Bluetooth card for my m125 for around half the price on the Palm site, so the financial side of things is looking less bleak. As soon as that comes in and I can either buy or borrow a BT GPSr, it shouldn't take long to add the ability to use it. I'll have to see when the time comes.

Is there a way to import new cache's into cachemate?

Here is an explanation of what I want to do: every couple days I download the list of local cache's and drop it into cachemate, however, in doing so I have to delete, then re-file all the cache's or I end up getting duplicate entries. Is there a way to "merge" the two files I am missing or some other way?

In the windows converter, I would like to see checkboxes to select multiple but seperated caches to convert, this would be a way around the problem, but I would still have to manually check to see if a cache is in cachemate or not (I tried using a "new" search on geocaching.com, but it seems to not find all the new caches and soem repeat)

I tried editing the "new" file using EasyGPS first but I lose all the description etc when I upload it to the palm.....

Here is an explanation of what I want to do: every couple days I download the list of local cache's and drop it into cachemate, however, in doing so I have to delete, then re-file all the cache's or I end up getting duplicate entries. Is there a way to "merge" the two files I am missing or some other way?

In the windows converter, I would like to see checkboxes to select multiple but seperated caches to convert, this would be a way around the problem, but I would still have to manually check to see if a cache is in cachemate or not (I tried using a "new" search on geocaching.com, but it seems to not find all the new caches and soem repeat)

I tried editing the "new" file using EasyGPS first but I lose all the description etc when I upload it to the palm.....

http://smittyware.com/palm/cachemate/faq.php#import_dupe

Oh, and the Windows file converter does support multiple selection in the list. I think it's control+click to do that. I think you can also do shift+click to select a range. It's a Windows control... I can't remember off the top of my head what the correct click sequences are.

[This message was edited by Maeglin on September 11, 2003 at 07:29 PM.]

Magelin:

I've run my first pocket query tonight. I made a query for the closest 400 "not found" caches. During the sync on my Palm IIIxe (with lots of memory left) it locks up when it gets to the screen that asks me where to file the "unfiled" caches. I select "not found" from the drop down list. As soon as I do that, he screen goes blank. Then I have to do a hard reset. The weird part is that the caches are then in the Not Found section.

Another piece of the puzzle. If I close CacheMate and use some other application, when I come back it brings me to the screen wanting to know where I want to file the "unfiled" caches, and if I select Not Found, it repeats.

If I cancel, the records go to "Not Found" as intended. But the records that were in "Owned" are now in "Not Found."

Thanks for any hints.

quote:
Originally posted by MotorBug:

I select "not found" from the drop down list. As soon as I do that, he screen goes blank. Then I have to do a hard reset.

You may need to wait. I've experenced the problem that it takes so long, that when it does finish, the palm's auto-shutdown turns the unit off due to user inactivity.

>>> Another piece of the puzzle. If I close CacheMate and use some other application, when I come back it brings me to the screen wanting to know where I want to file the "unfiled" caches, and if I select Not Found, it repeats. <<<

Palm is not a multi-tasker. When you leave, it stops.

One more reason I need to put a progress dialog in there :-) I'm planning on that for the next version, as well as something to reset the auto-off timer while that's going on (so what GeckoGeek described shouldn't happen again).

I'm looking at putting in Bluetooth support, as well. I'll be getting the hardware to pull that off inside of a week.

Another suggestion: Add something to the end of the logs or descriptions that indicate that the imported text had to be truncated. It's just that sometimes I'm reading it and I'm left to wonder. That would probably be more of an update to your desktop import program then to the Palm side.

Bluetooth would be cool, but I hope it doesn’t delay the next update too long since the number of users that could benefit from it now are probably small. The dialog fixes would cut down support requests.

I should have what Bluetooth hardware I'm still waiting on early next week. The code is actually in there now for it, but it needs to be tested (already has been with the card, but not with a GPSr... that's what I'm waiting on).

All of the changes for 2.2, including fixes for the issues voiced on here (auto-off timer, progress dialog during import, and further refinement for the database change detection), are actually done. I just need to update the docs, and get some details about a possible NMEA-related problem, but aside from that it's good to go. Hopefully I'll be releasing it late next week or next weekend.

After that's done, I can look into the CMConvert suggestions... I've got a couple changes of my own to put in there as well.

As long as there is a "wish list" going...

1. Have the "Nearest Caches" search stay in the category selected, specifically "Not Found."

2. Make the scroll button (on my Palm IIIxe work in the nearest caches found section.

3. Return to nearest caches after looking at a cache found in that section.

4. When I select import 10 prior logs, it only imports 5.

Thanks for all your work on this program.

1. Category added to the list of possible filter criteria, when I actually do filtering (slated for 2.3)

2. I'll see what I can do. Adding that to the to-do list as well. May even try to add jog wheel support for that.

3. Tap the "Done" button, then do Nearest Caches from the list view menu. Since it recalls the last search coordinates when done from there, as long as you don't change them the list order doesn't change.

4. Up to 5 is all that's in the GPX files :-)

quote:
Originally posted by Maeglin:

I should have what Bluetooth hardware I'm still waiting on early next week. The code is actually in there now for it, but it needs to be tested

OK, I just didn't want to see you get hung up on it.

Let me add my own “wish list”.

1) Nearest cache is a great feature, but still seems kinda clumsy to get to. I think I’d have it be a choice in the regular list so each exit from a cache takes you back to the list. Only if specifically asking to sort by name or to sort by current position would the list re-sort. Also if it were a normal list then the optional data would show in the list as well.

2) A “Quick find” feature. In the alphabetical list allow any entered text to “jump” to that location. Like the way the built-in Address Book works.

3) When returning to a list from viewing a cache, highlight that cache in the list so I can remember where I was. (Like Address book does.)

4) You might want to change the limit of logs to max a 5 since that’s all GPX supports. It will cut down on the support questions. Or at least make it an option where it defaults to 5. That way you’re “current” plus ready for the future.

5) Something else I’d like to see added is an ability to classify caches by area. That way I don’t have to work with the whole database at once (unless I want to). I know there are categories, but it seems they are more for “status” then location. Maybe if there was a way to create (in the PDA) a limited list that I want to work with for the day. I’ll indicate I want say a 10 mile limit and that would be a persistent filter (that can be used with other filters) until I cancel it. That way I can have the whole list for my county but only work with and sort the few that are 10 miles from my initial location. That way my poor Palm IIIxe won’t have to sort my 1100 benchmarks each time I want to see what’s closest to me.

quote:
After that's done, I can look into the CMConvert suggestions... I've got a couple changes of my own to put in there as well.

Like support for the categories? Maybe even a desktop editor of the database that will sync to the PDA?

All in all, the stuff we've talked about before is more important. Add the list in this post for version 2.3

quote:
Originally posted by GeckoGeek:

Let me add my own “wish list”.

Like support for the categories? Maybe even a desktop editor of the database that will sync to the PDA?

I'll take all of that stuff into consideration. It doesn't currently highlight the record you were looking at, but it does put it at the top of the visible list (if it can) when you return to that.

As far as categories... not likely, since the converter would then have to know what categories were defined and how they mapped to category IDs in the database. More like being able to select records for conversion based on criteria, and using multiple import files to get the effect of the categories thing.

quote:
Originally posted by FarSideX:

What about an unsorted list view? As in by record number. So it lists by the same order as in the GPX file.

There's nothing currently in the import database that stores the existing order of the GPX file. Besides, it already does a sorting to make the import record merge more efficient (as part of that, anyway).

Referring to #1 and #5 of GeckoGeek's last wish list reply, would the following combination work just as well?

- Hardware button and (possibly) jog wheel support for the "nearest caches" list (already suggested in this thread, and on the list for 2.3)

- A button on the list view form to do the same as the menu choice that's currently there... not as a sort option, but as a regular button

Incidentally, #2 of that list was already on the list of enhancements for 2.3, before you posted it. I'm not sure if it was a request on the forum here or on the smittyware.com forum. At this point, I'm just trying to figure out the best way to do it.

quote:
Originally posted by Maeglin:

Referring to #1 and #5 of GeckoGeek's last wish list reply, would the following combination work just as well?

Not for me. I’ll defer to other more conventional cache hunters, but for me I’m either in a “find by name” mode or a “find near me” mode. I don’t switch back and forth that much. I just find it irksome that each time I look at a cache and then exit I have to go to the effort to switch from name mode to back to location mode. The proposed changes only makes that task easier - I want to eliminate it.

How about if when exiting a cache view that I return back to the list I came from? If I was in “nearest cache” view then I return to “nearest cache” view and the cache I just looked at is highlighted (so I can see my “place” in the list)? . The current method of switching between lists and selecting between entered location and current cache location is OK if I could just return to the last list by default.

-------------------

I realize now that making the “nearest list” a sort option of the normal list would also mean that I loose that screen that shows direction and distance. OK, scratch that idea. I would still like to see my optional information I set in the preferences in the list – either in the list or in the information below where it shows distance, etc.

quote:
I'll take all of that stuff into consideration. It doesn't currently highlight the record you were looking at, but it does put it at the top of the visible list (if it can) when you return to that.
I've noticed that. The two issues with that is that it moves the list from what I last saw, and that the "if it can" makes it inconsistant. I like Address Book's way (highlighting) better.

That was the other way I thinking about returning to the list. I'll look into doing that one, maybe even combining the two ways for the next version.

By the way, when I said "if it can", I meant that it will try to fill the list view with entries if it can do that. If the last viewed cache is close enough to the end of the list, it will still be visible in the list view but not at the top.