What do you think about the new Magellan Meridian Color?

CWL

When you look at the specs it uses the same amount of batteries and they last the same as the other Meridians.

Point being, I don't think it could be TFT. Not to mention trans-reflective. These are very new technologies, and battery hogs too. The back lighting on a TFT display is always on. Like the PPC and pocket TV.

My theory is that the screen is like the Game Boy, or the color Visor PDA. They use the same tech is the grey-scale display. Using different colors in place of the shades of grey. That's why you can play black and white games on the Color Game Boy. No extra power needs. You can play the color Game Boy for hours on two AA batteries.

The Game Boy also works great in direct sun light. In fact you have to have good light to see it.

I would like to find a store that carries the Color Meridian. So I can go play with one.

geomark8.gif

If you do not extend your expectations unto others, you will not be disappointed by the stupid things they do.

Mokita!

I tried the color Meridian for a day, and the GPS was designed to have it's backlight always on. When I turned it off, I could not see the display, inside, or outside, so I took it back.

The color display does help to sort through the clutter on the map screen, but id rather use the GPS V, for it's high res screen.

------------------------

5_Rubik.gifMy home page about GPS units and information

I bought a Meridian Color yesterday. The backlight is a definate battery hog. But, I turned off the backlight and like a lot of other screens, it's all in the angle and light reflection on how well you can see it. Haven't tried it out in the field yet...I've never been geocaching...But I'll let ya' know....

I bought one yesterday and love it! The back lighting has three levels...high, 50%(I think), and off. I can read the screen at all three settings, though the off setting is a bit dark.

We did our first cache hunt outing yesterday in the rain LOL.

The bad thing about the past is that there's so much of it.

It finnaly came in yesterday. It looks like you have to have some kinda backlight on (either full or 50%) at all times unless you got alot of sunlight. That might be a battery hog, but other than that I like it! I'm not sure yet on the accurcy yet I havn't had a chance to got and hit a cache with it yet, but I was able to get 3 sat locks while I was still indoors. (I'm pretty sure it has the same anntenna as the old one though Owell) But so far I like it! Woo Hoo!

quote:
Originally posted by leatherman:

My theory is that the screen is like the Game Boy, or the color Visor PDA. They use the same tech is the grey-scale display. Using different colors in place of the shades of grey. That's why you can play black and white games on the Color Game Boy. No extra power needs. You can play the color Game Boy for hours on two AA batteries.

When you say "color game boy", are you referring to the original color game boy, or to the game boy advance? The GBA has a reflective TFT display, and runs for 20 hours of continuous play on two AA batteries.

My ipaq also has a reflective tft display. The backlight isn't always on, because the display reflects ambient light, just like the GBA (in fact, the GBA doesn't even have a backlight).

My Palm IIIc doesn't have reflective TFT, the backlight is always on, and I can't view anything on it outside in daylight. It gets completely washed out. I'd hate for that to be the case with the meridian color. icon_frown.gif

I was referring to the GB color, I don't have the Advanced. With the Color you have to have external light. It looks pretty good in direct sunlight. It must be a different kind of display than the Palm. I thought you didn't have to use the back light on the Palm.

You have way to many gadgets!

I just bought the iPaq h1910. Very nice! Love the size. I don't miss the 400mhz I just upgraded from 150mhz. I love the iPaq display. Very true colors.smokin.gif Although I don't like the display when the back light isn't on. I can see it though. The ambient light has to be bright.

geomark8.gif

If you do not extend your expectations unto others, you will not be disappointed by the stupid things they do.

Mokita!

quote:
Originally posted by leatherman:

I was referring to the GB color, I don't have the Advanced. With the Color you have to have external light. It looks pretty good in direct sunlight. It must be a different kind of display than the Palm. I thought you didn't have to use the back light on the Palm.

I'm not sure about other palm models, the IIIc is the only color PalmOS device that I own, and its backlight is always on.

quote:
You have way to many gadgets!

hehe, writing software for PDAs and having a disposition for blowing cash on techno toys has its advantages icon_biggrin.gif

quote:
I just bought the iPaq h1910. Very nice! Love the size. I don't miss the 400mhz I just upgraded from 150mhz. I love the iPaq display. Very true colors. Although I don't like the display when the back light isn't on. I can see it though. The ambient light has to be bright.

I have an iPaq 3835, when I first got it I thought the display was the cat's pajamas - until someone at work got one of the 3900 series units. Wow. The display on my 3835 looks a bit milky, but the 3900 is paper-white. Very nice.

Nintendo has taken a lot of criticism for not having a backlight on the GBA. Apparently people wanted to be able to play it in the dark or something. icon_biggrin.gif The next version is going to have a frontlight, which should help.