New vista softwear?

Idaho Ron

Personally I would recommend you avoid the beta version unless you like to test new "buggy" software and do not mind the problems. With some beta versions you do not have any problems, but with others you will. Why do you think it is still in beta version? it still needs to be tested and refined before being released as working software.

And yes I have had trouble with one of Garmin's beta releases, sure it was recoverable but it was still a pain is the @ss. not to mention it took me several hours to download and reload the data files again.

A beta version is usually one that the support people hasn't been informed about yet. Still, Garmin's programmer want's it out of the door, so that he can get some feedback from users too.

Gives him a lot of testers, that works without any additional pay. He just has to read what's in the inbox of the comment mail address provided.

On the other hand, there have been official release too, which were replaced just a few days later, when a major flaw was detected. So, on the average, a beta version has more/better functions, without beeing inferior in any other particular way.

Alan, do you go deep in the woods with just a little electronic thing to guide you back, at all? icon_wink.gif

Anders

I don't know about Alan, but I do. I both work and play in the Mountains and the desert at night. The desert I work in is 8000 square miles. It has a total of 7000 people. A lot of the areas I work in are over 100 miles to the nearest town! I have worked there without my GPS but it REALLY makes it easier. Ron

I've had no problems with the beta. It's worth getting, if only to boost the number of route waypoints from 50 to 125. No more having to break routes into smaller sections to get them to upload!

However, installing this essentially causes a full system reset - you'll lose any stored waypoints, etc., as well as any setting customizations. Garmin states that almanac data will be lost as well, but after power-up, I was getting a "Ready to Navagate" message after only a few minutes.

3608_1400.gif

It's easy to see if the almanac is gone. When you turn on the unit again, see if the satellites shown on the sat screen are all from 01 to 12, and if they are all located at the "N" (north) of the circle. If so, you've lost the almanac.

But regaining enough of the almanac to determine a position goes pretty quick. To receive the entire almanac takes longer, but the unit starts to work before that.

That you loose everything in memory when you go to 3.01, for example, is due to the larger track log and so on. This moves all addresses in memory, so everything previously stored is now not where the new software expects it to be. Hence, you must back up your data, upgrade the firmware and then reload the data again. The new firmware will put the same data back in new locations, where it expects it to be.

Personally, I think the longer track log is more valuable than the longer routes.

Anders