Magellan "M" PLATNIUM -vs- MARINE

Forgive me if this has been posted prior.

Im looking into getting a new GPS and upon looking at the comparisin charts at Magellangps.com i see that the units look to be identical icon_confused.gif , (Except for price) icon_rolleyes.gif .

Is there something I am missing here?

I would like to know from users of both of these units if possible.

I do live on an island so the marine would be fine if there is no differance on the two.

magellin

Unless I'm missing something here, there is no such unit called the "M" Platinum. There are Marine, Gold and Platinum models. The difference between the Marine and the Gold models are the basemap...Marine's basemap contains Navaids in addition to all other POI's and data. The Platinum on the other hand is the same as the Gold model (same basemap) but also contains a built-in electronic compass and barometer/altimeter.

I know the $ diff on the various Platnium series, My Q is what is the functional differance between the Platnium and the Marine?

I see that the Marine has Horizontal Accuracy (meters)of <3 and the platnium has <7

and, Is the main diff between the two and the Gold the 3x compass?

Please dont get mad for me asking so many "dumb" questions as I dont want to buy one and then wish for the other

(grass is always greener on the other side right?)

quote:
Originally posted by Magellin:

My Q is what is the functional differance between the Platnium and the Marine?

I see that the Marine has Horizontal Accuracy (meters)of <3 and the platnium has <7

and, Is the main diff between the two and the Gold the 3x compass?

Marine: Basemap includes Navaids, no electronic compass/barometer

Platinum: Basemap has no Navaids, includes electronic compass/barometer

Accuracy should be approx the same on both units. The specs given are not "this is exactly what this unit will do"...GPS accuracy is always changing due to the # of visible satellites and their position in the sky at any given time. All current GPS units are generally accurate enough for civilian use.

Or do your own comparison...go to http://www.magellangps.com/en/products/comparepick.asp

In the first drop-down selection box, choose "hand held". In the second box, select "Meridian Marine", in the third box, select "Meridian Platinum" and click on the "go" button. Search and ye shall find...

[This message was edited by SergZak on June 13, 2002 at 07:36 PM.]

I have a Platinum and I love it. had it for about a week now, done a couple of caches and its been right on the money. The compass is great for finding the bearing in the woods when walkin around to get a bearing is difficult. (had a yellow E-Trex) its worth the money if you ask me.

GlfWrVt.

I bought a platinum last week. It ticked me off when I first went to cache with it, but only because I was trying to use my cache method from my Garmin Streetpilot (yes, I walked around with a streetpilot for my first 26 caches icon_eek.gif ). The Platinum is a different beast and requires different usage.

Once I learned how to use the various functions, it was not only easier, but it was also more fun. Now, when I'm getting off course a bit, I stop and slowly turn around until my course lines up with the waypoint icon (I forget which screen this is called). It feels like I'm on Star Trek, scanning the area with a tricorder icon_biggrin.gif

It took me three caches to really get used to the Meridian Platinum, but I absolutely love it now.

NigelP

Software Enhancements/Fixes in Version 3.12 software:

------------------------------------------

Change map. This allows changing of the detail map to a file different than DETAIL00.IMG. The detail map files must have the IMG extension and must have been copied to the card using a PC SD card reader/writer. Also includes a method for changing the basemap. This is included for compatibility with a future MapSend product and will have no affect with current basemaps.

---------------------------------------------

Eye, Ham, We, Todd, Did

Sofa, King, We, Todd, Did

quote:
Originally posted by NigelP:

Is there a way of copying a .IMG file to the SD card through the GPS? (trying to avoid buying the reader/writer).

If you have a 64MB or smaller SD card, you can probably get away without buying an reader. Of course, then you can only have one mapset, and it'll take eons to upload. It's a bit like asking if you can paddle a canoe with your bare hands (to avoid buying a paddle); it's perfectly possible, but I can't see anyone actually doing it. icon_smile.gif