Axim Users: Post here

I see a lot of Dell Axim users out there. Figured we could create a thread to talk about GPS/Caching related topics.

First thing I wanted to bring up was the CacheDragon program. I DL'ed it and it runs the first time after I install it. If I try to run it again, it never loads. Realizing it's Beta software, and the authore responded to me that a new version would be out (but that was two weeks ago, and still no update). I'm wondering if anyone has actually gotten it to work on their Axim?

Other apps that I have found that work well are GPXview and of course the pocket queries for premium members. Used that last weekend for a trip to southern colorado.

Gladius & Kiplynn

Caching since '01

I have had my Dell Axim for about 3 months and love it. The only thing I don't like is the shortage of "Geocaching type programs" for PPC. Everything seems to be made for Palm OS. I currently have GPXview in mine for reading pocket queries and also National Geographic Pocket Topo for North Carolina which is quite nice. I still don't have a sync cable to connect my 76S to the Axim so I am a bit limited however, I hope to have it soon.

I just ordered a compact flash gps card...primarily for use in the car, since we have a Garmin for caching...but I use Mapopolis to get us close to the cache, then the garmin to find it. And having all of the nearby caches via a pocketquery in the Axim is nice...no wasted paper either. I'll report back after I get the GPS card on its performance.

Gladius & Kiplynn

Caching since '01

Hello.

I don't use an Axim but I got one when my iPAQ quit working. Now my wife uses an Axim.

Anyway, check out MS Streets and Trips for the Pocket PC. You can use GPX view to export a pushpin file to go with your Pocket Map. This will let you look at all the cache locations in an area. You can zoom in and see what street or zoom out to see the big picture. It's proven very handy. The program is cheap too. It cost me less than the topo.

The drawbak of S&T vs. Mapopolis is that it doesn't do auto routing in the Pocket PC version. Mapopolis doesn't do the pushpin files though either.

I wish Natinoal Geographic Topo worked in a similar fashion.

The Axim unlike my iPAQ has had no issues or problems.

[This message was edited by Renegade Knight on September 03, 2003 at 04:45 PM.]

So far, I love my Axim on just about all aspects. I consider it quite the step up from my old palm as far as a personal information manager goes, and it does so much more.

I use the pocket streets/gpxview setup RK mentioned as my visual cache overview. I then use mapopolis to route me area. I've been amazed at how well the software does, it even has many of the 4 wheel drive only roads I've used. According to mapopolis, they should soon have a waypoint import function for the 4.0 version maps that works as well if not better than the mapconverter program worked with the earlier maps.

I also use a globalsat bc-307 compact flash receiver with my axim. It's a remarkably sensitive unit, probably on an order of 20 to 30 percent more sensitive than my GIII+, or sportraks. Considering I figure the difference in reception between an eTrex and sportak is maybe 10 percent at best, it's quite significant. Now if only CacheDragon pans out, I'll have a great tool to use in the tough situations.

Good Morning All,

I also use the Dell Axim X5 (400mhz) with a BC 307 CF Slot GPS, very sensitive, especially good for heavy forest canopy! Check Ebay for very reasonable prices on CF GPS units.(about $100 or less) Performance was as good as garmin 176C ! (side by side tests)

I am using CacheDragon and other than a few minor problems, it works well. (won't save, shows 2X distances, etc). But I have found several caches with it. It's nice to see all of the caches in your area on one map! ....and I can see the GPX file info for each one.

For mapping I have used Delorme XmapHH, but very slow.... Until Delorme makes some improvements, I would not recommend... I am currently using Mapopolis, and it works great ! Try there Demo maps with the downloadable application. I create a position on the map for the cache and then follow it to the general area, then switch to CacheDragon.

Other items to make my Dell more usable include a small battery pack (4AA's and a small plug for the bottom of the Dell) which extends my battery life... (about $8 from ebay).

AND...

I also purchased and modified a small clear fishing tackle box to fit the Dell and CF GPS inside. The cover snaps closed and the screen is very visible through the lid. Tackle box was about $3 from Walmart and I cut out the internal divider sections (with a hot soldering iron) to fit the Dell w/attached CF GPS inside. Now I don't worry about the Dell when I set it down to open the cache and make my log.

.....And as always, I carry a magnetic compass.... nothing like a dummy (me) to get lost when the batteries go dead on the Dell. Fortunately, I have not had the call the resucue St Bernard (do they still carry whiskey in their neck-keg?) yet.... but caution and preparation are best! (I might get lost for an hour or so if the "whiskey dog" shows up...lol)

Anyway....safe caching to all,

Dave, Akron, Ohio

Another Axim user here.

I've had my Axim since February and have been using it for everything I possibly can. Even though it's the lower-end (300mHz) model, I haven't had any problems running any of my chosen software on it. Most of the software is the typical PDA stuff - contacts, etc. but I also have a few memory hogs on there such as four complete Bible translations.

With all of the stuff already on there, I'm still able to run GPXView and Mapopolis with no trouble. I have complete maps of the entire southeast area I'm in and the maps still load in a matter of seconds. AND I can zoom in to a high level of detail. My only regret is the lack (noted earlier) of being able to upload waypoints into the program. I just need to get the data cable for my SporTrak to be able to get real-time tracking.

Tried CacheDragon, but am not completely sold on it yet. It seems to be a good platform, but still seems a little twitchy with the existing bugs. Maybe when the new version comes out I'll try it out again. Until then, I'll just make my cache notes in Watcher and merge the files as needed.

Regards,

S-4-C

I KNOW I'll find it if I just keep LOOKING!

I have an axim user. My current configuration for caching is:

-iSilo to display files processed through spinner as pocket queries

-Mapopolis v 4.X for auto-routing.

And the good news is that very soon Mapopolis will release a utility that allows you to convert your GPX file directly into a Mapopolis Maplet file. VERY sweet.

I have pocket streets and trips but here's one for the SATs:

Pocket Streets and Trips is to Mapopolis what N*vic*che is to Geocaching.com.

icon_smile.gif I heart mapopolis, Navigator version of course.

And slightly more on topic... I heart my Axim. This thing rocks my world icon_smile.gif I was using a casio BE-300 before this and loved that. For under $200 it's definitely the best Pocket PC value out there.

--------

trippy1976 - Team KKF2A

Assimilating golf balls - one geocache at a time.

Flat_MiGeo_A88.gif

quote:
Originally posted by Strapped-4-Cache:

Tried CacheDragon, but am not completely sold on it yet. It seems to be a good platform, but still seems a little twitchy with the existing bugs.

Hello - I'm the developer of CacheDragon.

Yes, the old versions were a little on the buggy side. But on Wednesday, I released v1.1, and people seem to be pretty happy with it.

David Stein, Esq.

Help! Trying to figure out how to copy MP3's to my Axim. Have some on my PC in Windows Media Player and when I try to "copy to device" I get messages that say "will not fit". Not sure if these MP3's are in the right format or??? I'm only somewhat computer literate, so any basic info would be appreciated. Also can I copy CD's to a MP3 format and copy to the Axim? How?

[This message was edited by Capt. Jack & 1st Mate on September 19, 2003 at 04:35 PM.]

My Axim is performing great.

I haven't gotten the CF Slot GPS but after hearing Bigdaveoh I think I'll look into it. I have Mapopolis and I have GPXtoMaplet which produces the stickpin feature, just tap on the dot and you get Cache ID, Name and Lat/Long. Works like a charm.

I'm in the group getting a Etex to Axim cable, will play with that a bunch when it happens.

I have EasyGPS/Mapsource/GPS Trackmaker and a host of other programs D/L'd, you can never have enough programs for manipulating information. Maybe a laptop is in my near future icon_razz.gif

Frank