Legend, anyone?

Now when there is this 2.40 beta firmware for the Legend, I'm eagerly waiting for some comments. What about the battery gauge? What battery types have they added? Is it good?

The calculator: "General improvements". Like what? 2+2 is now a little more than 4? icon_wink.gif

I'm interested, since these things may very well show up in the next Vista version.

Anders

I just visited the Garmin website and the latest available upload is 2.39. Am I looking in the wrong place or is this a regional thing? I would be interested in an option for different battery types (rechargable), but would be nervous doing a beta test with my one and only gpsr.

I downloaded and installed it this evening.

I can't comment on the calculator except to say that it looks pretty basic. I've never used it.

The battery guage (Main menu/Setup/System) has settings for Alkaline, NiCad, NiMH and Lithium. My freshly charged NiMH batteries show as only partly charged when the menu is set to Alkaline but fully charged when it is set to NiMH. I guess that's an improvement.

I also downloaded the new beta software to my legend the calculater now clears when you click on the clear button it did not do that whebn it was first added also the addition to the battery gauge I can see to be useful down the road. Just so you all know on the calculater screen if you click the options button just to left of the close screen you can change the type of calculater you are using ie:standard/radians or scientific Good Luck

Wow, the calculator is a lot more capable that it looked. To clarify, under options you can toggle the calculator between standard and scientific and you can toggle the scientific calculator between radians and degrees. I tried a few of the trigonometry functions on the scientific calculator and they work. It also has roots and powers and memory functions. I might actually use this!

Well, the calculator actually existed in two versions from the very beginning. Standard and advanced (scientific). I more wondered about what they upgraded, but maybe no one has really used it enough to tell?

The compass pointer is smaller. That's already implemented in the Vista, when they made it show both the direction to the current and the next waypoint, when you are within 15 seconds ETE of the current point.

Does the Legend have the ability to make manual waypoint transitions, while following a route, too now?

Anders

I do own a Vista, not a Legend, but since they now posted an update to the Legend, which is just a Vista with less memory and some sensors omitted, I imagine that improvements to the Legend will come to the Vista too. Once they get the beta version sorted out, that is.

I'd like the battery type selection in my unit, and I pointed out some errors in the calculator function, so I was interested in if they were corrected.

Anders

They are busy at the programming departement at Garmin. Yet another beta version of the Legend firmware has emerged. Apparently, they've added some paging in some lists, so that you can go through the lists a page at a time, using the zoom buttons, as an alternative to just use the click stick.

I'll look forward to comments from Legend owners regarding these updates. To me, it seems that they've really tried to implement these small things, that makes quite a difference when it comes to how easy the unit is to use, even if it doesn't add anything to its real capability. Or am I wrong?

Anders

I've just downloaded and installed the latest firmware version on my Legend, though I don't think the features will affect me too much. The features that I really like came with version 2.40b. Though I could have probably lived without the latest additions, they are still nice to have -- like the improved battery gauge, enhanced compass pointer functionality, and the ability to search for specific cities using the find command (a very nice feature IMO).

Well, that was odd. I had version 2.40b on my legend and tried to update it to version 2.40c. However, I got a message saying that the firmware I am running on my unit is the same as the updater. I went ahead and did the update. Afterwards, I checked the version on my legend and it said 2.40c. Wierd.

Anders! What Legend? Is it an urban (or urbane? icon_wink.gif *duck*) legend?

Is it a country legend? Does the legend involve a ghostly presence? A decapitated corpus delectable? That floats across graves at midnight, every night? Or on a certain Knight?

Legend, as in Map Legend? (This would certainly apply to a gps forum!)

...or is this all just a bunch of hooey?... icon_wink.gificon_biggrin.gif

YeGoutBeSpeckledTrout, Fishe

196939_600.gif

quote:
Originally posted by Minex:

Well, that was odd. I had version 2.40b on my legend and tried to update it to version 2.40c. However, I got a message saying that the firmware I am running on my unit is the same as the updater. I went ahead and did the update. Afterwards, I checked the version on my legend and it said 2.40c. Wierd.

Maybe the updater can't see the 'b' or 'c' suffix, but only 2.40. Then they look the same.

Anders

I just got my Legend less than a week ago, It arrived with firmware version 2.38, so I upgraded to the 2.40c day-before-yesterday (I even hacked the firmware with a custom start-up message icon_wink.gif

I definitely like the ability to page thru long lists with the zoom buttons. I'm sure the battery-type option will be nice once I get me some rechargables.

df

I agree that they have added some nice features, but I am still waiting for the one option that I would really like. How about a accuracy reading on the compass page?! I don't know how many times I have looked at the distance to see I am within ten feet, only to flip to the sat. page and see my accuracy is in the dirt. It's really a pain to flip back and forth all the time. Is it possible that the processor can't handle all those calculations at the same time, or is this just an oversight on Garmin's part? icon_confused.gif

quote:
Originally posted by Team 5-oh!:

I would have to say oversight. My Venture has accuracy selectable on the map screen and always on on the compass screen.

The accuracy is replaced by the current target when navigating. I've tried to "re-select" this field, but that isn't an option. Am I missing something?

Greg

N 39° 54.705'

W 77° 33.137'

On the Set-up screen, when you select System, you can find the current firmware version if you open the auxiliary menu at that screen.

By the way, it's correct that the estimated position error isn't shown when you navigate to some specific target (and perhaps really need it!).

Anders

[This message was edited by Anders on August 16, 2002 at 02:39 AM.]