Garmin vs Magellan

uglystick

A Meridian Platinum is great for caching, but a good garmin unit would be a GPS V. I find that the platinum is a good gps for zeroing in on a cache.

Platinum has the ability to store lots of Maps, Waypoint files, and tracklog files to the SD Memory card.

The tracklogging in the meridians is not as good as in a GPS map 76 or GPS V, also the garmins have a better trip computer screen, including elapsed time (Total and moving times).

For caching only, go with the platinum.

I love Garmin because of my GPS V. However my folks have the Magellan Sportrak Pro. It's a nice unit at a very good price. The only thinging I noticed absent from the Pro were an accuracy estimate, and the ability to search for the nearest POI (when they are loaded from the CD).

Both companies seem to make nice units.

Not until we are lost do we begin to understand ourselves.

Henry David Thoreau

As far as the pure GPS side of things go basically not a thing.

It's what it does with what it gets that can make a difference. And what that means it comes back to functionality that "you" specifically require from it.

Specific queries like this simply makes one wonder what the real underlying purpose of the post is.

Cheers, Kerry.

I never get lost icon_smile.gif everybody keeps telling me where to go icon_wink.gif

quote:
Originally posted by uglystick:

I just posted this in the "Getting Started" area. I see that I should have put it here. I am new and would like to start hunting. I want to purchase a GPS unit. Which is better, Garmin or Magellan? I have in mind the eTrex Vista or the Meridian Platinum.

There is a key phrase in your message "I am new".

I have a Garmin GPS V and they, IMHO, are the greatest thing to hit Geocaching/Orienteering since magnetic north. I own a GPS III+ and Yellow eTrex as well.

If you have the bucks, by all means get the GPS V and you will never look back. If you want to get a feel for the hobby first, I would get a III+ or eTrex.

If you take care of it, they hold their resale real well and you might find that there are features you will want that something other then the Garmin would be more suitable for.

You may be one that wants color or integration with a handheld. While I can tell you all the downsides of this, starting with a little lessor unit will afford you this opportunity and, hey, who knows if or when they come out with the next Garmin it may even have that much needed drink dispenser. icon_rolleyes.gif

quote:
Originally posted by Brainerd:

I love Garmin because of my GPS V. However my folks have the Magellan Sportrak Pro. It's a nice unit at a very good price. The only thinging I noticed absent from the Pro were an accuracy estimate, and the ability to search for the nearest POI (when they are loaded from the CD).

The SporTrak Pro does have an accuracy estimate, although on the Magellans it's called EPE (estimated position error). It is available by default on the position screen, as well being able to added to any other screen by using the "customize" section of the menu.

We don't stop playing because we grow old...we grow old because we stop playing!

quote:

Both companies seem to make nice units.

__Not until we are lost do we begin to understand ourselves.__

Henry David Thoreau

You can search the POIs with several "nearest to" option (position, cursor, city, or another POI/waypoint (version 4.02 and up for the last option)). This is an option at the first level waypoint screen to switch between "nearest to" and “alphabetical”, left and right key switches between them (there is a little bit of a deference between some firmware, but its generally the same).

As some one else mentioned you can get the EPE (if your into that kind of thing).

Wyatt W.

The probability of someone watching you is directly proportional to the stupidity of your actions.

Very old repeating topic ... if you search on Garmin vs Megellan ... you'll find a ton of strings on this ... here's one (a genuine Markwell if I ever saw one!) Markwell that links to some good information ... but like I've read before ... it's kind of like which do you prefer ... Chevy or Ford ... Toyota or Nissan?

----------------------------------------------------------------

Co-founder of the "NC/VA GEO-HOG ASSOCIATION"

... when you absolutely have to find it first!

They are both capable units. Typically though, Garmins are much smaller than the Magellans. Side by side and more importantly on your belt the Magellans are HUGE compared to the Garmins.

I can carry the Garmin Vista with me everywhere, even to a business meeting on my belt and no one will even notice. My buddy tries to carry his Mag and everone wants to see his "PDA".

To choose between the two you should handle both somewhere.

quote:
Originally posted by leatherman:

quote:

Apparently, size does matter.

_Yeah. So Criminal must be compensating for something!_ icon_razz.gif

http://www.geocaching.com/profile/default.asp?A=39197http://img.Groundspeak.com/user/39197_3600.jpg

_POWDER!!!!!!_

I don't get it, I said you were wonderful! Boy, the thanks you get....

http://fp1.centurytel.net/Criminal_Page/

It's Like PC vs. Mac...It's al about what you get. I got a Garmin Legend and love it. It also hooks up to Mac with SimpleGPS and MacGPS Pro. Although i havent used it yet I wanted it to be compatible. I like the size, weight and resolution of the Legend. And it has a little extra memory for when I get enough scratch together to get the Mapsource TOPO Disc. All in all no matter what yo get you will love and it will become yours.

Also Look to what deals are around. I got mine for a total of 100 bucks cheaper than MSRP for buying online and with a mail-in rebate.

==========================

::::: That was ZEN, This is TAO. :::::

The differences between the features are what will probebly be the deciding factor. If you have the opportunity to try both types, that may make the decision a bit easier.

Everybody has a personal favorite; mine is the eTrex Vista, simply because of its small size. I use it on foot, in the car, and on the motorcycle; it has performed very well and goes (seemingly) forever on a pair of batteries.

My opionion may be a bit one-sided because my previous GPS was an ICOM GP-22. I also use a DeLorme TripMate and a ThinkPad on longer trips when I need mapping and routing.

I Roger your vector, Victor...... Over.

quote:
Originally posted by Criminal:

quote:
Originally posted by leatherman:

quote:

Apparently, size does matter.

_Yeah. So Criminal must be compensating for something!_ icon_razz.gif

I don't get it, I said you were wonderful! Boy, the thanks you get....

Get a room, you two! icon_wink.gif

~robert

Notice: Driver carries less than $20 cache.