Legend with Topo screen shot please.

I only have the metroguide on my Vista so far.

Dont plan on being able to look at those little contour lines much. They will good as a slight reference, but not as a way to look, count, and read them. It might actually make the screen cluttered.

Im interested in seeing if someone post a few pics. I'd like to see how it looks also.

Here is a pic of the regular map... but im sure you saw that before.

--- Copy and Paste into URL bar ---

http://www.geocities.com/johntrotto/images/vista_collage.jpg

quote:
Originally posted by Team ECO Cache:

Hello, Can someone out there with a Garmin Legend with the Topo software do me a favor and take some screen shots for me. I am looking to get the Legend and the Topo software. I am wondering how the screen looks with the topo map on there. Thanx

I don't have the Mapsource Topo product, but take a look at the Garmin Maps and Charts website.

In the upper-right corner, there is an interactive MapSource Map Viewer that lets you browse the same map data that is loaded to the GPSr's.

(Try this link, which should bring up the US Topo - East maps.)

57027_1500.gif

quote:
To actually download maps into your GPS, sorry but you have to use Mapsource

So why does the NGS has this on there site.

quote:
State Series Features

Our newest seamless topographic map software. Covers an entire state or group of states. Includes all Standard Features listed at the top of this page PLUS:

• Already GPS ready - no additional upgrade needed! (GPS compatibility list)

• Create routes and upload waypoints to your GPS

• Great value for the amount of map coverage

• 3D digital shaded relief can be toggled on/off

• Right click on the level 5 map to see quad name, date, and contour interval

http://maps.nationalgeographic.com/topo/cdroms.cfm#regional

Then there is a link that shows all the GPS that is compatible with this program, and the Legend is one of them on the list.

If someone doesn't post one in the next day or so, I'll try to make up a couple. In the mean time, what sort of terrain are you interested in looking at, and do you want bitmaps such as can be done with programs like G7toWin or would you prefer digital photos of the receiver itself with the maps displayed? I'll try and do a comparison of the sportrak and Legend, but am somewhat scraped for time at the moment so it will take a day or two.

Although I am not familiar with TOPO, I'll tell you what they (NGS & Others) mean when they say it works with virtually all GPS receivers. It means you can hook up your GPS to the serial/usb port of your computer or laptop and follow the route as you travel. In order for this to work you have to set the GPS to communicate under NMEA format.

Aside from that you cannot upload the maps from any other programs to your Garmin or Magellan for that matter. Both companies have proprietary map system.

Kar

quote:
Originally posted by smilelydog:

I believe you can only download waypoints from NGS to your Garmin.

So, if you download the series of waypoints, will it then show on the Garmin maps (or Magellen maps if that is what you have?)

"I took the road less travelled by, and that has made all the difference"

okay i hope this works it may be slow cause the files are large but this is a picture of topo on my 76s my buddy has a legend and the display is the same other than the screen being a little smaller.

the first image has the map menu set on "more" detail

fc232057.jpg

the second image has the map menu set on "most" detail

fc23204d.jpg

these pics are of the same area

How come the needle in my compass is 68? off?

Traveling Jones ........

Do you, or can you, have the topo and metroguide on there at the same time?

Can one be turned off at a time, .. example: can you have the topo on the lowest detail, or completely off,,, while having the netroguide on Most detail? ( and visa versa) ???

To do screen Captures of your Garmins, use G7ToWin.

http://www.gpsinformation.org/ronh/

This is the Zip file:

G7ToWin Version A.00.140

Heres some eMap screen captures of mine:

eMapmapscreen.jpgeMapFindMenu.jpgeMapNearestCities.jpgeMapSunMoon.jpg

Found a good link:

http://gpsinformation.net/main/topo-cds.htm

--------------------------------------------------

My Old posts as Geoffrey

My Current Post as GOT GPS?

My profile

My Home Page about what is GPS

quote:
Originally posted by jtice:

Traveling Jones ........

Do you, or can you, have the topo and metroguide on there at the same time?

Can one be turned off at a time, .. example: can you have the topo on the lowest detail, or completely off,,, while having the netroguide on Most detail? ( and visa versa) ???

The answer to that is no, when you add a new map it replaces the one already on the Legend. So if you have Topo on it and want to put a map from Metroguide then it will replace the Topo and visa-versa

You can have both TOPO, and Metroguide maps loaded into the receiver at the same time, but you can't view both at the same time. I almost always load both for the area's I'll be exploring. You have to load all of the maps at the same time. Just select the maps you want to upload from Metroguide, then switch to TOPO and select the areas from that map. If you're running off of CD's the software will tell you when to switch disks when you upload. In the receiver, go to the map screen and you can turn on or off the maps you wish to use on the setup map menu.

quote:
Originally posted by Searching_ut:

You have to load all of the maps at the same time. Just select the maps you want to upload from Metroguide, then switch to TOPO and select the areas from that map.

That is good to know, I didn't know you could get them both loaded at the same time.

Thanks for the info.

I would like to Thanx all that replied to my post. My mind is set to upgrade from my Venture to the Legend. And going with the Mapsource Topo. Just suck that I have to get all three CDs when all I need is for the east coast, especially for $99. I thought I could have gotten away with just the NGS for one region. But I guess not.

The upgrade will be due to my new outdoor activity. My Venture has done a great job for Geocaching.

Again Thanx All.

T.E.C.

Team ECO Cache,

My first eTrex was a Mariner which is nothing more than Venture with a white case marketed by West Marine. The Mariner came with a marine database including the NaviAids.

I purchased the POI CD as soon as it was available and began to see the power of mapping units so I sold the Mariner for $140 and spend $200 on the Legend. It was the best $60 upgrade I've ever made. I know that you'll never look back. I downloaded Topo maps from a friends computer but they seemed to make the map too cluttered, so I purchased the Road and Rec. CD. R&R actually has better shoreline and shows many creek channels that don't appear on the Topo maps. Plus, R&R maps take up a lot less room than the Topo maps did.

One caveat, I live in South Carolina’s Lowcountry so the tallest hill I know of is only 27 feet above sea level, so I really don’t need topo maps.

Hey Jtice, links doen't seem to work.

Also Rubberhead, I do agree with you on the upgrade. It is definatley worth the extra cash for a better GPS. I got a free $75 amazon.com gift card for test driving a new Mercedes C class. So combine that with getting rid of my Venture will definatley make it worth it. Amazon.com has the Legend for $139.99 after the $50 rebate. Definatley a deal that can not be turned down.