Which of these to buy, best value...

Ok, I'm down to these choices, I've listed the best prices I can find:

1. Magellan Meridian GPS + Mapsend Topo = $165 after rebate

2. Magellan Gold $180 AR

3. Magellan Sportrak Pro + Mapsend Street & Destination = $210 AR

4. Garmin Etrex Legend $150 AR

My price limit is $200 (the sportrak Pro was close enough), so I can't go for the Garmin Vista or the Magellan Platinum.

I was planning on choosing the first one, the Magellan Meridian GPS as it is the cheapest, even including the Topo software. I have a 128 MB SD, so I'm not worried about space and I'm assuming the Topo Maps make up for the 2MB Base maps in the unit. I was thinking by adding the 128 SD this unit is at least equivalent to the other ones, but I'm afraid I'm missing something that the others have as this seems to be too good of deal.

Does anyone have the Meridian GPS or if it is significally worse that the more expensive units? Thanks.

I have a 128MB SD card already if I choose the Meridian Line.

Option 1 seems to be a great deal for you, since you already have a 128mb SD card. If Option 3 is the Costco bundle, then the data cable, belt clip case, windshield mount and car power cord make it a very attractive choice (this is what I have). Of all rebates, I've had the best luck with Costco rebates (I've heard of people having trouble with others).

I think you are right in thinking that once you load in the maps for a particular area, the size of the basemap is a non-issue. Having a very large basemap is good for people who do a *lot* of traveling and want to be able to navigate around on major city streets.

Just my thoughts.

--Marky

"All of us get lost in the darkness, dreamers learn to steer with a backlit GPSr"

If you've already got an SD card, the Meridian is probably your best choice. It's the same as the gold but with less memory, which you're compensating for with the memory card. Other than that, it does everything that the others do..I have one and it's great. There is one limitation to the base meridian that's really not all that significant if you know about it. Read here: http://gpsinformation.net/mgoldreview/magellanbasemap.htm

Basically, you have to make sure the batteries don't go dead on you before you do a manual shutdown, or you can lose the waypoint data that you've entered since the last shutdown.

Anyway, I'd recommend the base Meridian, it's the most mapping for the money.

-pizzachef

I concur with my Magellanic colleagues. The 2 MB basemap does have some drawbacks relative to the larger basemap on the Gold, but they are minor and largely offset by the detail maps. Most of my use is with the detail maps, anyway. If your funds are limited, the base Meridian and MS Topo are a wonderful value.

Max

Often wrong but seldom in doubt

quote:
Originally posted by mmpoole:

Yes, Option 3 is the Costco bundle. It looks good, but you can't expand with a SD card. Is there anything that the Sportrak Pro has that the Meridian GPS doesn't (other than a larger base map and internal memory)?

Nope, nothing really. I have a Meridian Plat and a Sportrak Pro and the Plat never gets used because I prefer the form factor of the Sportrak (with the beltclip case in the costco bundle) over the Meridian. Plus, I couldn't live without the windshield mount and auto power cable. Those are the only real benefits I see.

On the trail, I doubt you'd notice much difference between the two. Oh, one last thing, I *much* prefer the topo over the Streets & Dest software, so that's another argument that #1 has going for it. icon_smile.gif

--Marky

"All of us get lost in the darkness, dreamers learn to steer with a backlit GPSr"

#1 and #3 are the best values in my opinion. It basically boils down to the size. If you can carry the larger unit I would go with the meridian. But if you need somethign smaller with the best clip or ability to fit in something sesigned for an item cell phone sized get the sportrak

Eeyore

I'm one sat short of triangulation.

The merigreen was a wise choice indeed. I just purchased the Meridian Yellow, 64mb SD card and reader from Outpost.com A wonderful deal en total, costing somewhre around 160. I love it thus far, and have loaded many multitudes of maps. You will be pleased with your purchase.

I received it yesterday. Haven't had a chance to go out with it yet. I am waiting on the Mapsend Topo maps as the 2MB base map isn't very detailed. I also ordered a 256 MB Secure Digital card (took back the 128 as the 256 was a better deal) for about $48 after rebate so I'll be able to put lots of maps in there.

well, you may have wanted to keep the 128mb card, because 256 is A LOT of memory for mapping-thats like half the US basically. If you really feel you need that much then thats fine but your really only need 64 mbs to be happy. Have fun

I do what I gotta do, when I GOTTA do it.

quote:
Originally posted by mmpoole:

Its too bad I don't have Frys around here.

Having multiple Fry's stores around you (here in the Los Angeles area) is fine...but having one 2 miles away from you (City of Industry location) is murder on your wallet! icon_biggrin.gif