Can I do this with my V or Etrex?

Well, I know that with my Vista I can, and did, enter my personal info:

THIS BELONGS TO..etc. etc. etc.

I figure if I lose it the chances of me getting it back are precisely 3 gajillion to 1.

I can't remember the start up screen so I'm not sure it replaced it or just added another. - JamesJM

Yes this can be done with the V as well. Using the program that Prime Suspect referred to you, you need to replace the text in the 'WARNING' screen. I have done this with my V so I'll let you know that it must be entered in the exact format that you see it listed as otherwise it will not fit.

I was able to add my name, two telephone numers with area code and the term $$$REWARD IF FOUND

If you need further assistance, let me know.

Kar

quote:
Originally posted by Team Shibby:

Yes this can be done with the V as well. Using the program that Prime Suspect referred to you, you need to replace the text in the 'WARNING' screen. I have done this with my V so I'll let you know that it must be entered in the exact format that you see it listed as otherwise it will not fit.

I was able to add my name, two telephone numers with area code and the term $$$REWARD IF FOUND

If you need further assistance, let me know.

Kar

How? When I treid it on my V, it only gives me 7 Characters to work with, exactly what it would take to replace "WARNING".

It is a tricky procedure. I am assuming that you downloaded both the MeMap program and the latest update for the Garmin V?

You have to extract the files from the zip file you download from Garmin. Once extracted there will be three files. You open the MeMap program and it will ask you for one of the three files from Garmin. Point the program to this file and do a search for "WARNING", This will bring up the Warning screen and all of the text that is associated with it. With a little practice, you will be able to edit the text so that it contains the info you want it to display.Once this is complete you upload the file to the GPS and you are all set.

If you still have problems with getting it to run, let me know and I will do it for you.

Kar

Larry H,

I had a Venture for a while and if I remember correctly a firmware upgrade gave me the ability to enter Owner Information without using MEMAP.

Go to the Main Menu page and select the options button (second button on the right top). There should be a "Owner Information" drop down there.

If not you might want to upgrade your software Version 2.50 was released on August 4th.

Ducks - Flying, great tasting, geocaches of meat

Thanks for the input Rubberhead.I already upgraded it with the July 31st release of V 2.50 . I can't find any features as you describe for owner info. I can change some things with memap but it will not upload the changed file to the unit.I have no problem uploading the unchanged file from Garmin, so i guess I'm just out of luck.

Thanks anyways

You are right, i was trying to change the warning screen i finally changed the start up screen 3 lines where it says

eTrex Venture

Copyright 2002 2003

GARMIN Corp

Now i have ;

PROPERTY OF

LARRY H*****

LH@H*****.US

Very cool, thanks to all that helped

You can store owner info on your GPS V. Save it as a Waypoint. Call the waypoint 001-OWNER, which will put it at the top of your waypoint list. Then add the phone # and reward information in the Notes Field for the waypoint.

Not until we are lost do we begin to understand ourselves.

Henry David Thoreau

quote:
Originally posted by Brainerd:

You can store owner info on your GPS V. Save it as a Waypoint. Call the waypoint 001-OWNER, which will put it at the top of your waypoint list. Then add the phone # and reward information in the Notes Field for the waypoint.

And, so if the unit is found by an honest person, who happens to know how to use a GPS V, find a waypoint, by name, and then knows how to access the waypoint notes field(*), you're all set.

(*) I had mine for 2 months before I found that option.

Really.. You're much better off just hacking the firmware. More noticable, harder to reverse, etc.

-- Pneumatic

quote:
Originally posted by Brainerd:

It may not even take that much to get your GPSR back. Garmin has had a story up on their website for a couple years now that was submitted by a blind owner of an eMap. He used it with some special software (GPS-Talk) to give him directions but unfortunately lost the unit one day while out walking. Before he got a chance to order a replacement a man came to his door with the eMap. He had found it in a local park and played with it awhile before finding the 'Home' waypoint and then figured out how to use that to find his way to the owner.

But from a practical standpoint probably the best insurance is just to stick a little piece of paper with a phone number either taped to the back or in the battery compartment. If it's found by someone honest this gives you just as good a chance at getting it back as any firmware hack. If it's found by someone dishonest you're not likely to see it again no matter how it's been modified.

[This message was edited by peter on August 09, 2003 at 09:17 PM.]

quote:
You have to extract the files from the zip file you download from Garmin. Once extracted there will be three files. You open the MeMap program and it will ask you for one of the three files from Garmin. Point the program to this file and do a search for "WARNING", This will bring up the Warning screen and all of the text that is associated with it. With a little practice, you will be able to edit the text so that it contains the info you want it to display.Once this is complete you upload the file to the GPS and you are all set.

If you still have problems with getting it to run, let me know and I will do it for you.

Kar

Kar... I've tried this, but it doesn't pull up the "Warning"... and then when I tried to get into the file using the notebook, and did my changes, it didn't change anything. What am I doing wrong? I'm using the GPS V, info you.

Thanks for your help!

bo