Externalpower source, Please don't laugh!

Idaho Ron

Last year while I was working I went through a PILE of batterys. I wanted the ability to have a rechargable external source.

After I read the post on external power sources I got to thinking. I got a cam corder 7 years ago and it quit. A year ago I took it in to have it fixed and they said it would cost as much as a new one. I said NO WAY!

My wife went to throw it away and I said I want to "play" with it. I don't know yet how long the battery will last but it is rechargable, light, and small.

I took the battery compartment out and figured out which wire was what with a tester. Then I cobbled together a case. The whole project cost me 8 dollars for the power hook up. I had the scrap plexy glass and screws.

The battery still has everything hooked up so it will not fall out. I think it will be cool.

Ron

This is a side view.

fca01ecd.jpg

This is a front view.

fca01ed0.jpg

This is a picture of it hooked together.

fca01eca.jpg

[This message was edited by Idaho Ron on February 17, 2003 at 02:20 PM.]

[This message was edited by Idaho Ron on February 17, 2003 at 02:21 PM.]

Nice Job there, Ron! Just goes to show that with a little ingenuity and taking the time to get some technical knowhow, what can be accomplished with so-called "scrap" electronics.

Nice lookin' power box you have there. What's the voltage on the battery? What did you use for the voltage regulation?

It looks great! icon_smile.gif Nice to see there is some technical ingenuity in the Geocacing Community at Large!

Warm regards,

Firefishe/N8PZT

196939_600.gif

Originally posted by Cache Canucks:

...wouldn't a couple of sets of NiMh AA's that fit _into_ the GPSr have been easier?

What is the fun in that icon_biggrin.gif? Besides I would have had to buy a charger and batteries icon_wink.gif

Firefishe, The battery is a 6 volt. I plugged in the 12 volt power cord for my truck and tested the out put against two AA batterys. It was the same as two full AA's.

After I was sure it was OK I plugged it into my etrex camo (I didn't want to test it with my Legend)

You da man ron. Maybe you would know if there is a solar power unit that puts out enough watts and volts to power a gps that normaly runs on 2AAs or a car adapter. It is a garmin 76S. I know there are solar grids that will charge these batteries but is there one that will run the gps. I don't use rechargeables so I just want to have it run on the solar power

sidewinder

LOST AND FOUND DEPT.

I started out with something like that to power my 315. It first started as a 6 volt spotlight battery and a 2.99 cigrate lighter connector, along with my power data cable. I then purchased a 12 volt game feeder battery from cabelas, and a bag to carry all of the stuff in. This worked for me for over a year and I could get long run times, but it was extremly heavy.

I have since switched to nimh and hardly ever use that other method unless I need power for a long time. Now my battery is used to power other things when I go places, it also works good with a power invertor (I still think its cool to take a lamp into my back yard and use it).

I may still be using that method if I could find a lighter battery source. But I don't know the affects of using a 6 volt battery (magellan cables are rated from 9-35 volts approx), and the 12 volt latern batties have nothing to attach the wires too.

But I think your method is cool, and you obviously put more work into it than I did. I just put every thing in a bag and hoped that nothing would become unpluged (which happened often).

Wyatt W.

The probability of someone watching you is directly proportional to the stupidity of your actions.

quote:
Originally posted by SIDEWINDER:

You da man ron. Maybe you would know if there is a solar power unit that puts out enough watts and volts to power a gps that normaly runs on 2AAs or a car adapter. It is a garmin 76S. I know there are solar grids that will charge these batteries but is there one that will run the gps. I don't use rechargeables so I just want to have it run on the solar power

sidewinder

LOST AND FOUND DEPT.

When I find some loose change I'll be playing with solar power for things. I like the concept of a plug in solar module for recharging my batteries on a campoing trip. I know they have chargers but I don't want chargers. I want a power source. There is a difference. Think modular.

Idaho Ron, good job on the scratch job building that thing.

Wherever you go there you are.