Looking for software to link my SporTrak Map and my laptop in real time

D0T-C0M

First off sorry for posting so many newbie question but I just found this site and I've read about so many software programs available that will increase my GPS experience.

One in particular that I would be very much interested in purchasing or heaven forbid that it be free, is software that would run on my laptop and connect to my SporTrak Map. This software would link my gps and laptop together in real time and the laptop would be used as a color display and have unlimited memory for maps waypoints etc.

Lots of different software out there that'll do what you want and some are even freeware.

MS Streets and Trips comes complete with maps and will show your position in realtime. You can download waypoints to it (Push Pins in MS speak) but that's about all.

GPS Trackmaker is freeware and will up/download waypoints, tracks and routes. You'll have to find your own maps for it.

OziExplorer and Fugawi are commercial programs that will do the same. You can buy precalibrated maps for both.

There are many more that I'm sure other people will mention.

PDOP's GPS Pages

Thanks for replying

I checked out GPS trackmaker but it doesn't

seem to do what I want it to do. Or maybe I need the professional version. I want to stick my GPS in its holder and have the LCD display on my Laptop as I'm navigating. Trackmaker as far as I can see only simulates my track history in real time. I want to use my laptop as an extention of my GPS as I'm navigating in my vehicle. Any software out there that will do that?

[This message was edited by D0T-C0M on October 27, 2003 at 03:45 PM.]

Most of the DeLorme products (e.g., Street Atlas, Topo) would do that, too. Street Atlas is pretty good for driving (autorouting, voice commands, etc).

Edit: Whoops, the comments that follow point out to me that I misread what you want. Street Atlas, Streets & Trips, etc. will use the GPSr to display current position with the laptop-based software displayed on the laptop screen, not a representation of the GPSr.

Max

Often wrong but seldom in doubt

[This message was edited by embra on October 27, 2003 at 09:50 PM.]

quote:
Originally posted by D0T-C0M:

I want to stick my GPS in its holder and have the LCD display on my Laptop as I'm navigating. Trackmaker as far as I can see only simulates my track history in real time. I want to use my laptop as an extention of my GPS as I'm navigating in my vehicle.

If you're looking for something to exactly reproduce your GPSr screen on the laptop I don't know if that's possible. GPSTrackmaker and the others have navigation screens that will show your speed, course, elevation, satellite view, etc.

PDOP's GPS Pages

D0T-C0M :

If I understand you right, your looking for some software that will replicate your gpsr screen onto your laptop screen?

Lots of luck. I have been looking for that item for about 6 years now and no luck anywhere.

The next best is a good mapping program that does live tracking. I mostly use National Geographic TOPO! or Microsoft Streets and Trips once and a while.

Let me know if you do come across that other item.

I do have one mapping program somewhere here in the mix that does have its own gpsr screen but the programing is way off in location, distance traveled and speed as well as being user friendly.

logscaler.

"Why shouldn't truth be stranger than fiction?

Fiction, after all, has to make sense."

Mark Twain.

wow thanks for all the replies. If I understand correctly from what I take of all this is that I can't replicate my gps screen exactly on my laptop but I can track my location in realtime. SO It could be possible then to scan some topo maps and I could still get partially what I want. I don't really need to have a exact replica of my gps screen on my Laptop as long as I can get realtime tacking with a detailed map in the background. Hope I'm making sense.

Bingo, you understand correctly. I have a SporTrak Map also. You can use Mapsend TOPO for this but it costs money and I'm not very happy with the accuracy of the maps. You can scan maps into GPS Trackmaker. I have done this and it will work, just read the instuctions and play with it. Good luck.

DOT-COM.

If your willing to spend some money, look into the National Geographic TOPO! series for your area. Most of the maps are dead on for location but are somewhet dated, like upwards of 20 years old for certain areas and do not show a lot of the newer roads but do show roads that are no longer in use, a bonus I think as those old roads make good trails.

Or head to COSTCO and get the Microsoft Streets and Trips for somewhere between $12 and $25.

logscaler.

"Why shouldn't truth be stranger than fiction?

Fiction, after all, has to make sense."

Mark Twain.