The Roaches/Peak District

quimbly

Hello, I'm new to all this, found 5 caches so far (plus one Did Not Find). I'm finding it OK searching for caches near to home, because I have a postcode, or someone else's postcode I know, to search on. But tomorrow I had planned to go out to the Roaches, or perhaps a bit further out in the Peak District, but still closeish to the Roaches for preference, so we don't have to drive too far. Does anyone know of any caches around the Roaches/south Peak District? NB - we do not have any climbing equipment ;-) Help gratefully received.

Hi, welcome to the caching community.

You can use the GC.Com website to find nearby caches but one site I ALWAYS use is here. If you register using your GC.Com user name you can navigate around this site and find a very useful interactive map with all geocaches found, hidden and not found by yourself.

After the map has loaded you can move the curser over the caches and bring up there web page on GC.Com.

I have found this little tool immensly helpful when looking for nearby caches, or looking for caches around the area I'm going to visit.

I hope this helps in locating a relevant cache close to where you want to be.

Onwards and upwards. Never retreat, never surrender.

The interactive map at geocacheuk is very good, as others have said, though slow to load.

There's also a map of caches in England on the geocaching.com site, here. You can zoom in to the area which interests you.

Bill

-------------------------------

"Ah, take the Cache and let the Credit go..."

The Rubaiyat of Omar Khayyam, trans. Edward Fitzgerald

quote:
WoodSmoke wrote:

Hi Bill,

Try going to www.macromedia.com and installing the latest version of Flash.......you may find it will load a lot faster.....eg. 30 seconds :-)

Wow! What a difference! I'd got used to waiting for the map to load, and hadn't thought about updating Flash. It is indeed more like thirty seconds now. And all those 'Do you want to abort the script' boxes are gone, too. Thanks, WoodSmoke!

Bill

The Rubaiyat of Omar Khayyam, trans. Edward Fitzgerald

quote:
Originally posted by Grynneman (Liam & Sharon):

Shame you're not a climber, I have one placed here on the upper tier, called Don't Look Down.

A fantastic place to walk around anyway...See if anybody is doing the overhang test piece, Sloth.

Nar! That evil cache is 10th on my nearest list and rising! Is it possible to do without a rope?

MarcB

Took Log Book, Left Nothing

quote:
Originally posted by MarcB:

quote:

Shame you're not a climber, I have one placed here on the upper tier, called Don't Look Down.

A fantastic place to walk around anyway...See if anybody is doing the overhang test piece, Sloth.

Nar! That evil cache is 10th on my nearest list and rising! Is it possible to do without a rope?

MarcB

It's been the closest on my list for some time now icon_mad.gif. I keep wondering whether it's worth taking a look at, to see if you do need a rope etc, but then I get a grip of myself and say 'NO dont even think about it' icon_eek.gif.

I'm gonna have to find someone with ropes etc, and organise a trip out there......

We could organise some kind of group assault on the thing... icon_biggrin.gif

If you look the first 2 people logged did it without a rope- may not be worth the risk though!

Bad luck about having it top of your list though- I've got a virtual which involves riding or driving around the severn valley railway at the top of mine.

MarcB

Thanks everyone for your help - that interactive map on the GeocacheUK site is great! We actually decided to go to Dovedale in the end, and just have a walk without hunting for geocaches. Gosh, it was busy down in the valley, but we headed upwards onto the hills and found it pretty empty up there apart from sheep. Amazing how different it can seem just a mile away from a seething throng of people. Next time we go to Derbyshire I need to spend more time with the interactive map and the OS map and see how we can work caches into a good route - I left it too late this time.

quote:
Originally posted by MarcB:

quote:

MarcB

It has been soloed by climber whose grade is a lot higher than VDiff (possibly E1+), but I would strongly recommend that it should be done with a rope.

quote:
Originally posted by Bill D (wwh):

The interactive map at geocacheuk is very good, as others have said, though slow to load.

There's also a map of caches in England on the geocaching.com site, http://www.geocaching.com/map/england.asp. You can zoom in to the area which interests you.

Bill

_The Rubaiyat of Omar Khayyam, trans. Edward Fitzgerald_

The question is though, how do you get to the maps in the first place? There doesn't appear to be a way from the main page or on the searches.

Try searching, from the find a cache page, for a country eg UK, when the list comes up there is an option for map or visualise caches IIRC

Yep - just checked it

from home page

- hide and seek a cache

- select UK (country)

- on next page,click on *seek*

- on next page click map

- select country of choice under UK

Hope that helps

042502_2217_1578_prv.gif It's dark and we're wearing sunglasses.

quote:
Originally posted by Krazy Kats:

The question is though, how do you get to the maps in the first place? There doesn't appear to be a way from the main page or on the searches.

After you have created a search from the 'caches' page there is a button second down on top left called 'Interactive Map' - try that :-)

WoodSmoke

Logo5.gif GeocacheUK - very useful resources for the UK Geocaching community

Apart from saving my life, this topic has reintroduced me to GeocacheUK - I hadn't realized how many improvements had been made and with the interactive map now usable with the Flash upgrade find it brilliant, especially as you can combine Trigs and GCs in one list/map. Thank you Mark and Ian and those who raised it here.

Member Geocaching Association of GB