Glass Containers

quote:
Originally posted by makerofthingsup:

<snip>

I'm fairly new to all this but I do enjoy it. Don't take my fun away when I just got here. Can't we all just be friends and agree to disagreee or whatever? Please don't kill the spirit of caching with your silly what if stuff, it seriously is more of a hazard to go to my cache than it could ever cause anyone.

You're right. It's got a little out of hand (but not as out of hand as things have got before: this thread does set a good example of how not to flame...) and I can see your point about a good challenge for finding a cache. I have only set one really easy one, the others require a bit of a walk (all day if you count the latest!) as well as using the old grey-matter and I whole-heartedly agree with you about making it worthwhile rather than "just off a path under a bush".

There are many points to a good cache, location and challenge being two of the biggest.

Forget about the glass issue, and please don't be put off by the "bickering": this is what fora are for. At least this discussion has been held in a reasonable and mature manner.

After consideration of many valid points raised in this thread, I now accept that some types of glass container in the right place may well be OK. I'll not be using glass myself, but I do see the other side now after careful consideration.

Carry on caching old chap! icon_biggrin.gif

By the way: I've just tried smashing an old Marmite jar (under controlled conditions of course) and I must say: they're tough little buggers! Managed it eventually, but it took a concerted effort and a few sharp blows with a big hammer! icon_wink.gif

By the way part 2: I can highly recommend these for midi-sized caches... icon_wink.gif

"Woof" quoth he. Oh, and "Grrr" also.

I'm working on designing a machine specifically to smash Marmite jars, such is my loathing of the stuff.

I know exactly what they make it out of, which probably explains why...

No trees were harmed during the production of this posting, but a large number of electrons were terribly inconvenienced....

Well, since this was brought into the general forums (several times) I hope you don't mind another comment from a yank.

While there are no rules on geocaching against glass containers, and some may make very good cache containers, I think the general public does feel they are unsafe in the wild. Pretty much every park by me has a list of rules like no littering, no this, no that, and NO GLASS CONTAINERS IN THE PARK. A quick Google search shows that many parks and public places have the same rules. Even if we know our caches are safe, why risk a bad go around with a land manager or the press when there are so many other types of containers we can use? I think the cachers and the approvers should show a little judgement with the cache hides. Things like military boxes next to bridges and glass jars in a city park are not good ideas, even if there is no rule against them. A thick glass jar or ammo box out in the woods well off the path is probably ok.

Tae-Kwon-Leap is not a path to a door, but a road leading forever towards the horizon.

Do I detect a touch of maturity creeping into these forums?

This has been a useful debate, with differing opinions being discussed with feeling but restraint. Serious points on both sides of the argument have been made eloquently but with occasional humour.

Judging by the points made here and in the associated poll it would seem a small majority are in favour of allowing glass containers in some circumstances while agreeing that there are times when it would not be sensible.

The bottom line seems to be "Use common sense". Could I ask our two approvers to agree not to place an arbitrary complete ban on glass but rather to consider each application on a case by case basis? Is this a reasonable compromise? If so, perhaps this interesting discussion can be put to bed and we can get back to hunting plastic/metal/glass/.....

Over to you Moss T & Eckington.

As happy as a piggy in ordure.

Just before it does get put to bed, I'd like to add a little bit more of my own, purely personal opinion.

The head honchos gave Eckington the power to approve, or not, any new UK cache submitted. Sure, there are guidelines but for all the ranting on the forum about common sense, I suspect most of us have been around long enough to know that not every one has their fair share. Personally, I wouldn't use a glass jar under any circumstances but I've seen caches in everything from a big ammo can to a wellington boot and that includes one large glass container in particular that I thought was extremely risky.

Eckington felt strongly enough about it to say NO and stuck by his decision in the face of some quite hostile postings. I respect that in anyone. Whether he 'over stepped' his authority is debatable (and has been severely debated!!) but when it comes to safety issues I believe that he did the right thing. Maybe in this instance his decision could be considered harsh and the cache in question would have been perfectly safe but a precedent has been set. Now we all know that Eckington will not approve glass containers so the cache in a jam-jar that maybe someone with a little less common sense submits will not get approved either. I, for one, am quite happy with that knowledge.

John

Age and treachery will always triumph over youth and ability icon_wink.gif

quote:
Originally posted by washboy:

quote:
Originally posted by MCL:

I know exactly what they make it out of, which probably explains why...

Oh! Do tell icon_smile.gif

Well, the yeast they use in the brewing industry, once it has finished being yeast and doing its brewing thingy, is all spent and dead. The little cells of the yeast have all been burst and the resulting dead scum is all stinky and yucky.

They sell that sludge to the people that make Marmite. And thats what they make it out of: the waste product of the brewing industry.

The brewers aren't actually allowed to flush the stuff down the toilet (something to do with environmental health..), but they still make Marmite out of it.

Excuse me, now I'm going to vomit.

quote:
Originally posted by washboy:

quote:
Originally posted by MCL:

the waste product of the brewing industry.

Aw! I thought it was going to be something totally disgusting icon_wink.gif

=====

_There's no such thing as a free lunchbox!_

You want disgusting.....? If you like cakes and biscuits, best stop reading now.

A long time ago I worked for a company that processed the waste material from butchers and slaughter houses, namely raw animal bones. There were only three such places in the country, East London, where I worked, Newport and Glasgow. 24 hours a day, 7 days a week huge articulated lorries rolled in and dumped their cargo into the holding area. Bones also came in by rail to our own siding. Without going into too much detail, the piles of green, slimy, rotton bone that had been lying around for sometimes weeks, were turned into three products. Crushed de-greased bone which was used to make photographic gelatine (the best), edible gelitine (not the best) and glue. The othe 'solids' which were used as animal feed and the last was tanker loads of semi liquid fat and oil. What happened to this...? it was all sent to a refinery in Hull where it was 'cleaned up' and resold to the food industy for use in margerine, cooking fats and the aformentioned tea-time edibles.

I'm not sure about his cakes, but he does tell exceedingly good stories icon_wink.gif

John

Age and treachery will always triumph over youth and ability icon_wink.gif

Ah well I can relay an anecdote about the beef extract.

Sir Peter Ustinov used to tell the story of the first time his mother came to England (from Russia) and couldn't understand why every railway station from Harwich to London seemed to be called "Bovril"...

No trees were harmed during the production of this posting, but a large number of electrons were terribly inconvenienced....