Cache Advertising on UK Forum

Hi Folks.

Heavy Hand Time.

As I have been accused of double standards regarding the advertising of caches on the UK forum, of which I may add I am probably guilty, more through miss judgement than mallice.

I have consulted with Monz and we have agreed that from this moment on NO Caches should be advertised on the forum, with the following two exceptions.

1 The setting up of Bug Hotels

2 The setting up of events

Disscusions on caches are fine, what I am aiming at is the "I've just planted a cache.. go get it" type of advert.

Any Advertising of a cache will be Deleted , no discussion will be entered into.

Moss de Boss... Sorta

You mean any topic that just duplicates the "new caches" information that appears on geocaching.com? I think I totally agree with you on that one.

Where I think the cache censorship might go too far is if particular caches would come up naturally in the course of a discussion not designed to advertise a cache. A recent example would be the discussion about thieves breaking into cars at the nearest carpark to "Roman Remains". For that thread, the mention of the cache in question is not gratuitous.

I'm not accusing the moderators of having done this - it's more a case of people being aware that they don't have to refer to caches obliquely ("a certain cache near xxxx") or apologise for legitimately mentioning caches ("I'm not trying to advertise my cache but....").

-------

jeremyp

The second ten million caches were the worst too.

http://www.jeremyp.net/geocaching

We agree.

We were very unsure whether or not to mention the Gatwick Bug Hotel because we felt that it was extreemely close to 'Come visit my cache'.

After long thought and a little discussion we figure that the Bug Hotels are more of a service than a normal cache. Thats why we decided it would be ok.

I guess that if the idea takes off internationally (which I hope it does), Jeremy might start a new forum just for bug hotels.

By way of a bit of a chuckle, the 'Gatwick Bug Hotel" has recieved an advanced booking (note on log) for a bug called 'Timon' who will be arriving on the 8th June. I just hope that cachers dont misundestand and think they have to make a reservation. icon_smile.gif

Tim & June (Winchester)

To cache, or not to cache. That is the question !

Oh to hell with the work. icon_smile.gif

We agree.

We were very unsure whether or not to mention the Gatwick Bug Hotel because we felt that it was extreemely close to 'Come visit my cache'.

After long thought and a little discussion we figure that the Bug Hotels are more of a service than a normal cache. Thats why we decided it would be ok.

I guess that if the idea takes off internationally (which I hope it does), Jeremy might start a new forum just for bug hotels.

By way of a bit of a chuckle, the 'Gatwick Bug Hotel" has recieved an advanced booking (note on log) for a bug called 'Timon' who will be arriving on the 8th June. I just hope that cachers dont misundestand and think they have to make a reservation. icon_smile.gif

Tim & June (Winchester)

I agree that there should not be (blatant) advertising of caches on the forum but an incidental reference should be acceptable.

Advertising: my cache is new, is best, is here, etc is not the purpose of the forum. This is for discussion.

Cache events are not true caches so should be OK. Travel bug hotels I think are a grey area (sorry to be controversial icon_biggrin.gif ). They are still advertising although are at the same time a 'public service'. Maybe they should have a special designation similar to virtual cache, multi cache etc. What does jeremy think (if he reads this!).

Andy.

I agree that there should not be (blatant) advertising of caches on the forum but an incidental reference should be acceptable.

Advertising: my cache is new, is best, is here, etc is not the purpose of the forum. This is for discussion.

Cache events are not true caches so should be OK. Travel bug hotels I think are a grey area (sorry to be controversial icon_biggrin.gif ). They are still advertising although are at the same time a 'public service'. Maybe they should have a special designation similar to virtual cache, multi cache etc. What does jeremy think (if he reads this!).

Andy.

MossTrooper

I don't have any objections to people informing me of caches they have placed in the forums. I do see that it could get out of hand if everybody posted a thread about every cache they have placed though. So:

Why not have a couple of threads:

1- Cache information/querys- A thread where people can post quesions such as the one I asked you regarding caches near Newcastle.

2- Blatent plug- A thread where you can inform people of your cache. The only restriction in this thread would be not replies except by Email and only one message for each cache.

Then you could enforce things more strictly in the rest of the forum and if it is possible move meassges with plugs to the correct thread.

Ok, I'll stop waffling now...

Thanks

Chris

LASSITUDE- (noun) Tiredness and apathy: a state of weariness accompanied by listlessness or apathy[15th century. Via French from Latin lassitudo , from lassus 'weary'.]

I like the separate forum idea. I have posted adverts here in the past and got blasted for it and i have learnt not to but i hate the way new people come to the forums sometimes advertising their first cache whatever and get a really rude welcome to the hobby, if there was a section where people could check out the latest additions atleast there would be no excuse for posting here. Not trying to make an argument just stating my views icon_smile.gif

Dan Wilson (Team Dan and Pid)

I like the separate forum idea. I have posted adverts here in the past and got blasted for it and i have learnt not to but i hate the way new people come to the forums sometimes advertising their first cache whatever and get a really rude welcome to the hobby, if there was a section where people could check out the latest additions atleast there would be no excuse for posting here. Not trying to make an argument just stating my views icon_smile.gif

quote:
Originally posted by Geo Badger:

Point 1: The whole point of banning posts of new caches on these forums is to avoid pointless duplication of data. All the information you get from a "checkout my new cache" type post is available on geocaching.com and I believe Rob & Lisa's site has a list of UK caches ordered by date. If everybody posted their new caches to this forum it would soon be swamped with such requests. I suspect Jeremy's answer to "can we have a forum for posting new caches to?" would be "what is the point? We *have* geocaching.com which is for, guess what, advertising caches on"

Point 2: There is no excuse for ever being rude to newbies (or anyone) whose only crime is ignorance of the rules. A politely worded reply explaining the rules is all that's needed.

Point 3: I like the idea of "Blatent-plug-a-thread" but only because of the name and the concept. We could allow people to outragously plug anything they like on it - not just caches. We have a thread in our company on our internal news server called "bad-attitude" in which anybody is allowed to mouth off about anything without censorship. It's a good way to let off steam, but you need to be thick skinned sometimes to read it.

Apologies in advance if this post comes across as rude to anybody, it's not meant to be icon_smile.gif .

-------

jeremyp

[This message was edited by jeremyp on May 31, 2002 at 06:53 AM.]

quote:
Originally posted by Geo Badger:

Point 1: The whole point of banning posts of new caches on these forums is to avoid pointless duplication of data. All the information you get from a "checkout my new cache" type post is available on geocaching.com and I believe Rob & Lisa's site has a list of UK caches ordered by date. If everybody posted their new caches to this forum it would soon be swamped with such requests. I suspect Jeremy's answer to "can we have a forum for posting new caches to?" would be "what is the point? We *have* geocaching.com which is for, guess what, advertising caches on"

Point 2: There is no excuse for ever being rude to newbies (or anyone) whose only crime is ignorance of the rules. A politely worded reply explaining the rules is all that's needed.

Point 3: I like the idea of "Blatent-plug-a-thread" but only because of the name and the concept. We could allow people to outragously plug anything they like on it - not just caches. We have a thread in our company on our internal news server called "bad-attitude" in which anybody is allowed to mouth off about anything without censorship. It's a good way to let off steam, but you need to be thick skinned sometimes to read it.

Apologies in advance if this post comes across as rude to anybody, it's not meant to be icon_smile.gif .

-------

jeremyp

[This message was edited by jeremyp on May 31, 2002 at 06:53 AM.]

quote:
Originally posted by jeremyp:

We have a thread in our company on our internal news server called "bad-attitude" in which anybody is allowed to mouth off about anything without censorship. It's a good way to let off steam, but you need to be thick skinned sometimes to read it.

-------

jeremyp

2002 at 06:53 AM.]

I think I like that idea, anything goes, if you don't like it, don't read it. If it should not be on the forums put it here.

If not a fully fledged forum, how about just a thread in the UK. Whoever starts the thread (I suggest a moderator) should make the first post a notice that it is an "anything goes" thread and is unmoderated. Something like a caveat emptor.

Of course the thread will have to be restarted occasionally because it will get too long.

Whadya think Mossie ?

Tim & June (Winchester)

quote:
Originally posted by jeremyp:

We have a thread in our company on our internal news server called "bad-attitude" in which anybody is allowed to mouth off about anything without censorship. It's a good way to let off steam, but you need to be thick skinned sometimes to read it.

-------

jeremyp

2002 at 06:53 AM.]

I think I like that idea, anything goes, if you don't like it, don't read it. If it should not be on the forums put it here.

If not a fully fledged forum, how about just a thread in the UK. Whoever starts the thread (I suggest a moderator) should make the first post a notice that it is an "anything goes" thread and is unmoderated. Something like a caveat emptor.

Of course the thread will have to be restarted occasionally because it will get too long.

Whadya think Mossie ?

Tim & June (Winchester)

quote:
... I think I like that idea, anything goes, if you don't like it, don't read it.

Personally I suspect it would degenerate into a flame war in no time at all. I think people with axes to grind would post personal attacks and use the "well this thread allows you to speak your mind" excuse. You only have to look at an unmoderated newsgroup to see an example of this.

Anyway thats my 2p worth icon_wink.gif

quote:
... I think I like that idea, anything goes, if you don't like it, don't read it.

Personally I suspect it would degenerate into a flame war in no time at all. I think people with axes to grind would post personal attacks and use the "well this thread allows you to speak your mind" excuse. You only have to look at an unmoderated newsgroup to see an example of this.

Anyway thats my 2p worth icon_wink.gif

Sorry I've been away for a few days (caching in Scotland) so missed the start of this topic.

Of course I agree with no advertising of new caches on the forum but the response I got to my request for opinions on the value of advertising the fact that caches had been "got at" and temporarily made virtual suggested to me that it was needed. I always felt that if a cache was in a good enough location for a visit there to be worthwhile even if there was no physical cache to find, it was better to make it virtual rather than disable it until replaced.

Like Tim and Junes Idea of a free for all but i think monz is right it would probably get really low. Im not sure a place to slag each other down would be welcome as a part of a friendly hobby but a free for all topic where personal comments wernt acceptable might be kool. Ok so im contradicting my own point but i think you all know what i mean.

Funnily enough the one at our company did not degenerate into personal attacks - well unless you count vicious attacks on the management icon_smile.gif . There was a fair amount of seriously bad language which would obviously not be appropriate here.

If we were to have an "almost anything goes" thread here, there would have to be some rules. Experience tells me that discussions on this forum do get really out of hand sometimes.

-------

jeremyp

Funnily enough the one at our company did not degenerate into personal attacks - well unless you count vicious attacks on the management icon_smile.gif . There was a fair amount of seriously bad language which would obviously not be appropriate here.

If we were to have an "almost anything goes" thread here, there would have to be some rules. Experience tells me that discussions on this forum do get really out of hand sometimes.

-------

jeremyp

Ok, I too have been away, so missed the bulk of this discussion.

With regards to the idea of having an unmoderated thread to let off steam, I don't think that the UK forum is the best location. It doesn't seem the greatest advertisment for UK Geocaching to have what could be unrestrained flame war within an apparently moderated forum.

As to the original point of discussion, the comparison I would draw is with someone starting a thread purely to plug their own business.

Richard

I agree that an open flame forum would not set a good example, however I wonder about a first time cache setters thread. My lot have nearly completed 20 caches, and "competed" in GYCH, and it was only after that that I felt I had seen enough caches to set one without making a gaffe.

Even so I would value some feedback and advice on whether the cache page contains the right info, what have I forgotten, difficulty of clues, usefulness of clue pictures etc.

I wonder if a newbies cache forum would be a sensible idea?