Am I a troll?

?

quote:
Go or stay - the choice is yours. You don't need us to tell you what to do.

Maybe you should give us a hint as to your true identity and location.

Rich

mobilis in mobili

Indeed I don't but if I am causing too much offence then I would leave, no point in staying where your not wanted is there. As to who I am and where I come from - well if it wasnt for the "?" id I think no one would care but anyway I am sorry but it is not possible for various reasons I cannot go into (all boring I am afraid and not very interesting).

quote:
Originally posted by ?:

As to who I am and where I come from - well if it wasnt for the "?" id I think no one would care but anyway I am sorry but it is not possible for various reasons I cannot go into

Ah! I reckon it's Gary Glitter. I knew that avatar looked familiar!

Seriously, I think it's a combination of the enigmatic user name, the lack of info in your profile and the fact that you have no finds or hides. That level of anonymity is bound to make people suspicious.

You must be able to give us some information about yourself without violating the Official Secrets Act. For a start, what user name do you cache under? If folks could see that you do actually cache, allegations of trollism will likely decrease dramatically.

SimonG.org

quote:
Originally posted by ?:

Indeed I don't but if I am causing too much offence then I would leave....

I haven't re-read all your posts but I don't recollect you being particularly offensive.

If you have a point to make and it's 'valid' then post away, old son.

As for anno..non..nim.. wanting to remain nameless, I really don't think that anyone gives a tinker's cuss but as an amateur psychologist I suspect it stems from a deep rooted inferiority complex and is, in reality a cry for help icon_biggrin.gificon_biggrin.gif

John

Age and treachery will always triumph over youth and ability.

quote:
Originally posted by ?:

Am I a troll? The Northumbrian and Good Shepherds think I am (Team Galaxy are newbies so can be forgiven).

Technically, you're more of a sock puppet than a troll, but the "troll booth" gag in the other thread was way too good an opportunity to miss :-)

I certainly wouldn't class myself as having been "offended", and I'd be surprised if anybody else felt so strongly. However, people are bound to be slightly suspicious of anybody with a 0/0 profile who posts so prolifically (and, often, contentiously) - what exactly are their motives in doing so? - why do they have something to hide? - are they somebody who has previously been "exiled" from the forum? - you can hardly be surprised that so many of your postings prompt skeptical and cautious responses.

Nevertheless, my vote is: "couldn't give a #@$%" icon_smile.gif

John TGS.

quote:
Technically, you're more of a sock puppet than a troll, but the "troll booth" gag in the other thread was way too good an opportunity to miss :-)

Sound good to me - what's a sock puppet? :-)

Also am I missing something here on the profiles or does everyone tell you who they are and where they live - just curious???

Sorry Northumbrian, I'm a bit non-plussed with your comments. You really don't who I am - please don't take out your anger?(whatever) on some poor hapless fool who you think is me- you really are wrong - or are you just describing in generalistic terms my character type?

quote:
posted February 21, 2003 06:33 AM

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

quote:

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Originally posted by ?:

Team Galaxy are newbies...

Are you sure?

Oops now I'm the troll

A ha I think I've made this point before - youre right just because Team Galaxy are registered as Jan 2003 does not mean YOU are a newbie.

Just as no caches/finds/name etc etc etc and objectional posts does not make me a troll or sock puppet or capt scarlet or .... icon_biggrin.gificon_biggrin.gif

quote:
Originally posted by Warwick Bear:

...is this what it is all about? Not too sure I have understood the obective, if so I am off!

Why do people object so strongly to posts that aren't solely concerned with geocaching?

The UK Forums aren't exactly brimming with new topics every day, and off topic posts are needed to keep it interesting. Surely it's OK to 'socialize' with other members in the forum?

I would understand objections to this in the 'General' Forum which is busy and has enough new 'geocaching' related input to keep it ticking over, but the UK forum could quickly become stagnant if this kind of topic is excluded.

My view is that if you don't like the sound of a topic, don't read it, and certainly don't reply to it. This one was clearly labelled as to it's contents.

quote:
Originally posted by Warwick Bear:

As a new comer to Geocacheing , is this what it is all about? Not too sure I have understood the obective, if so I am off!

Hi Warwick Bear, welcome to geocaching. If you're interested in finding your first cache (I note you haven't found any yet, a bit like our mysterious "?" friend), then there's plenty of people hereabouts that will be happy to help + answer your questions. Post away!

icon_smile.gif

I post a good on-topic subject (Cache Contents) and low and behold - no one wants to talk icon_confused.gif I post some good ole troll fodder and its all hands to the deck - go figure icon_biggrin.gif

Anyhow I do actually have another good topic I want everyones opinion on that is related to GPS but not really Geocaching - but I will keep it for later.... cant post too much in any given week icon_wink.gif

Cmon Cmon Cmon Cmon doya wanna be in my gang my gang

I personally don't have any problems with ?'s posts - some controversy is needed now and then, and s/he seems fairly reasonable and intelligent on the whole.

I am thinking of doing some writing-style statistics to indicate who s/he really is.

Rich

mobilis in mobili

? Writes:

Am I a troll? The Northumbrian and Good Shepherds think I am (Team Galaxy are newbies so can be forgiven).

But dear ? what do you think you are?

Why should others think you a troll ?,?

If others thinking you are a troll is upsetting ? then how can you change to prevent this?

You should ask your self ? why am I here ?, and then ? if you answer yourself you could say ?, I don't know ?, but will I find out by asking the forum?,?

Cache the Bug-Geocaching

I don't mind any posts aslong as they don't mean to offend ( I'm not saying that was anyones aim either icon_wink.gif )so post away nicely. This place is full of people with different points and ideas. Everyday its nice to sit down and take in the rest of the communities views. I have learnt that Everyone here is friendly and forgiving so you won't be pushed out without reason. keep caching and always remember...

Its just a hunt for a lunch box, why be so serious!?! badgerslayer.gif

Dan Wilson - www.Buckscaching.co.uk

quote:
Originally posted by ?:

Am I a troll? ...

If you all want me to leave your forum then I shall, please vote now.

Two questions and only one vote.

I don't mind whether you stay or go. I will read/ignore/reply your posts the same as any others.

The first question, where we don't get to vote, is certainly raising more interest, helped along by the "?" and no location or stats. I think a name, even cryptic, and a location, even ficticious, would arouse less suspicion. Then again, I'm sure you already knew that when you made your choice or you could change it later if it suited your purpose.

Are you a troll? I don't know

Are you male or female? I don't know

Are you young or old? I don't know

Are you one or many? I don't know

Do I care? not really.

As I said, I'm happy to read your posts and action them as I see fit. The exception is I no longer want to talk about your identity crisis - let's talk about the next topic you have planned.

(This isn't my real name either)

Lance

It's dark and we're wearing sunglasses.

Team Galaxy why did you rant so? I was suprised at the tone of the posts. I did read the title & did not see any danger in reading it. I was not offended, nor did I see any reason not to read it. Do I not have the choice to post? Do I not have the right to say what I think? I am sure there are a lot of nice people out there!! Not sure about you though!! You are right there does seem little to to go on about,so the posts are littered with personal attacks or have I got that wrong also

Out & About? Must be Monday