Odd...

Kouros

Found a cache today.

No real surprise, I guess (unless you count my DNF logs, of course) except to say that I never meant to.

Guess I better start from the beginning. We (Sarah and I) went out for a walk the other day, to watch the sunset. We walked up Cheesefoot Hill, in Winchester (near this cache) and were merrily walking along the path (in the opposite direction of that cache, about .3 of a mile away).

But we came along a blue tupperware box. It was just lying in the middle of the path.

"Is that a cache?" Sarah joked, so I went to investigate.

Well, surprisingly enough, it was. I'd never seen it on a nearest cache list before, and was somewhat taken aback that it was so badly hidden. Curiosity got the better of me, and I read through the logs. Back in February 2002, Tim and June were the first finders, and the first few logs were normal enough.

But as they progressed, they got odder and odder - the last five or so logs (in succession) were by non-Geocachers. People who had stumbled across the cache quite by accident.

I left the cache (a bit better hidden) as I didn't know whether or not it had been transferred to a different website, and headed off home.

Yet at home, I couldn't find the cache listed on any site. It had long been archived.

After a quick chat with T&J, we discovered the cache was this one - and that it had originally been placed around three miles away.

So, what now? I've contacted the original placer (to no avail). Do I adopt it? Claim it as an obscure find? Or let it continue is amazing journey unhindered?

------

An it harm none, do what ye will

soapbox.gif

Suggest you adopt it. We certainly shouldn't have unadopted caches wandering the countryside.

I have clear memories of this cache (for reasons which the log will reveal...) but it must have been taken by a Geomuggle and been travelling around ever since.

It would be good to see this cache back in circulation again.

Dave

quote:
Originally posted by The Wombles:

It would be good to see this cache back in circulation again.

The leave it unhindered was kinda a joke, but I do have another, more serious question... where should it go? Where I found it (it was a nice location, and the nearest cache was a fair way away) or back where it came from?

------

An it harm none, do what ye will

soapbox.gif

I have an idea........

......I think we should start a new type of cache.......

.......The Wandering Cache.......

.....it could be great fun trying to find it.

Each finder hides it somewhere different and logs the change on the web site :-)

WoodSmoke

Logo5.gif GeocacheUK - very useful resources for the UK Geocaching community

quote:
Originally posted by Wood Smoke:

.......The Wandering Cache.......

Each finder hides it somewhere different and logs the change on the web site :-)

There are quite a few of these about (though none in this country that I know of). The rules were changed a while back to disallow them.

As for Kouros's dilemma, if it's in a nice location I vote for leaving it where it is now.

What's your favourite thing?

There are at least two wandering caches in this country, called Cuckoo caches (moving inside other caches), and SimonG is right that these are now disallowed.

quote:
Originally posted by Kouros:

... where should it go? Where I found it (it was a nice location, and the nearest cache was a fair way away) or back where it came from?

If you found it in a nice location then that's good. It doesn't have to return to it's original location, and doesn't need to retain the same name either.

You could recycle the cache itself with a new name and location, and let those of us who found it in the old location have a crack at it's new home.

Dave

Looks like you don't need a GPSr any more, if caches just leap out onto the path in front of you!

Seriously, adopting it is probably a good idea. But I'd wait a while for a reply from the owner first, even though they haven't logged in to gc.com since February - some people only check email pretty infrequently.

Bill

-------------------------------

"Ah, take the Cache and let the Credit go..."

The Rubaiyat of Omar Khayyam, trans. Edward Fitzgerald

quote:
Originally posted by Wood Smoke:

I have an idea........

......._The Wandering Cache_.......

WoodSmoke

I tried to find one of these whilst in St Louis on vacation. That one didn't move into other caches, but actually changed its location, with the co-ords being updated by each person who moved it, through the logs. Very irritating when the log wasn't updated more than a week after it moved to Cincinatti, and we spent a long time crawling round the undergrowth looking for it!

Interesting that these are now disallowed - is that a UK or global thing?