Premium membership

Considering how much I get out of the hobby, £20 a year seemed a small price to pay to help keep the site running as well as it does. I'd say it was very cheap compared with many other hobbies... e.g. Fishing (£22 a year just for the rod license, then there's the day ticket, bait, lost floats, etc), Model Planes (fuel, breakages, etc), Gardening (endless trips to the garden centre for this and that), etc, etc.

Lets face it, without this site and the development that Jeremy puts in to it, it wouldn't be half a much fun... hell the hosting and bandwidth fees alone must be huge!

Steve

If you can see the 'light at the end of the tunnel', it's usually a train coming !

The site has a lot of information, a great community, and the Groundspeak programmers do a fantastic job of maintaining and improving the site. For all that, the membership is one of the best bargains you'll find these days. I recommend you show your support and become a premium member.

Disclaimer: Not affiliated with Groundpeak in any way -- just another poor soul bitten by the geo-cache bug.

-Al

quote:
Originally posted by Icenians:

Now what do we get for our £20? Not sure I'm still a charter member but I seem to remember I get pocket queries. On the other site I get XML feeds for nothing. Much better value. icon_biggrin.gif

Don't PQs usually come in XML format anyways?? icon_confused.gif

waypoint_link.gif22008_1700.gif37_gp_logo88x31.jpg

I use the pocket queries very rarely. In a weekly email, I have the five closest cache waypoints emailed to me, and that's about it.

I don't think I've ever hunted a Members Only cache.

Do I think my £20 wasted? Nope. I consider it late payment for the twelve months of free use I got out of the site before I signed up. Completely ignoring the members benefits (of which there are few) there are many factors of this site without which caching would be impossible. I feel that my £20 has been well spent on a service, even if I don't get anything extra in return.

On the other hand, I also like the idea that the site is free for others to use as they wish. If you don't want to pay, don't - you probably won't notice any benefits, other than the happy warm feeling from knowing you've helped support the game.

------

An it harm none, do what ye will

soapbox.gif

So, all in all, we are saying that there is not much extra for the premium membership. Except, and this is a big EXCEPT, there is the feeling of contributing to help maintain a site that gets us out and about, a little fitter maybe and the sense of adventure? ( I know none of you lot said that. It's just me reading between the lines:-).

Seems a good deal then..........let's do it.

Bob....

http://www.bobh.co.uk

I joined Geocaching.com in September last year and became a Charter Member about 6 months ago. According to my profle, I've been a Charter Member ever since last September so don't worry about it... it's just one of those 'little quirks' that make you look good to anyone interested (or sad) enough to look at your profile.

John

Age and treachery will always triumph over youth and ability [icon_wink.gif]