New GPS system for Europe

MoonHerb

It seems the writer of this story is comparing the GPS system of 2003, to the possible Galileo system of 2008. What they leave out is how the US system will continue to be updated. So the comparison is not really accurate.

Wyatt W.

The probability of someone watching you is directly proportional to the stupidity of your actions.

As an employee of one of the companies involved in it's development, I dont think we (Geocachers) have much to worry about regarding interoperabilty between these two system, PLUS the third system (the name of it escapes me at the moment) being developed by the Russians.

The main reason for these new systems being developed in to improve accuracy for air-traffic, war, etc., and the last thing they will be worring about are a few walkers looking for metal boxes hidden around the countryside - there's not enough money it it for them!

I am sure that as things progress and technologies improve, there will be new developments in handheld personal positioning anyhow (remember Decca and Loran? - the mariners out there might!), in the same way as we are now on our third generation mobile telephone network in little over seventeen years. When comparing the size and features of mobile handsets from the mid eighties to those that we have now, as and when development happens it can only be a good thing all round!

Team Tate

Remember - if it's moving, it's not dead...

Well at least GPS does what is says on the tin and so developments will be welcome. When will the mobile phone companies realise that we would like to be able to hold a conversation without getting cut off, and that all the other toys they put on should be extra? If they put a games console on a GPSr I'm gonna cry!

Cheers,

Emily & Neil

Well.... I did see a couple of geocachers playing 'Billiards' across a pub table via an infra red link on their iQue 3600's a week or so ago icon_biggrin.gificon_biggrin.gif

John

And should you ask, am I at ease there? I'd answer "Yes. Oh yes indeed".

For my heart it dwells in lonely places, where springs leap down, where ravens feed.

quote:
Originally posted by Bill D (wwh):

quote:
NattyBooshka wrote:

If they put a games console on a GPSr I'm gonna cry!

NattyBooshka, you're gonna cry! The Geko 201 and 301 have 'fun, interactive games' on them. icon_biggrin.gif

Bill

Hehe... we have a Geko 201... there's nothing fun about running around an invisible maze in a field whilst the locals point and laugh! OK... let me re-phrase that... "any blue hedgehogs or short fat italian plumbers on my GPSr and I'll cry!"

Cheers,

Emily & Neil

quote:
Originally posted by NattyBooshka:

quote:
Originally posted by Pharisee:

Well.... I did see a couple of geocachers playing 'Billiards' across a pub table via an infra red link on their iQue 3600's a week or so ago icon_biggrin.gificon_biggrin.gif

Was there a billiards table in the pub?

Cheers,

Emily & Neil

No... only on the iQue screens.

John

And should you ask, am I at ease there? I'd answer "Yes. Oh yes indeed".

For my heart it dwells in lonely places, where springs leap down, where ravens feed.