GeocacheUK.com

Following negotiations between Geocaching.com over the last couple of months. Also the sucessfull trading partnership we have developed with them I am pleased to announce that GeocacheUK.com have now been Officially recognized by Groundspeak and Geocaching.com. I feel that this will help the links that we have developed with Geocaching.com to be further enhanced in the future. I would like to thank them for there faith in us and would like to go on record saying thanks for all the help they have given us in the past.

Mark (TheCat)

www.geocacheuk.com

Yes, well done Mark, it's a great recognition of all your hard work!

Many people will be unaware of the quiet, behind-the-scenes work Mark does for geocaching, which rarely gets mentioned on the forums. This includes negotiating with at least two county councils (and one airport!) about placing caches on their property (including getting a cache placed near a scheduled monument with the help and participation of the head ranger), as well as running fox hunts and the like. His contribution to the "sport" is far more than just the G:UK website!

You and me both Ian. When you first said to me you would sort out the stats pages I thought Yeh Right I had been let down before. How wrong I was. You are as much a part of GUK as me and put in as much if not more work than I do. Though GUK is not just Ian & I, the site is there for all cachers to use as they see fit.

Mark (TheCat)

www.geocacheuk.com

Officially recognized by Groundspeak and Geocaching.com

Oops! Sorry Teasel, didn't mean to overlook you! The stats pages are very good indeed: well laid out and easy to read; not at all mind-bogglingly dull as one might expect the ranks of numbers could be!

By the way, the number of Virgin Caches Defiled by a cacher: is that number calculated by the first to log on a cache page rather than the actual first-finder? I just wonder 'cos I'm sure I have a couple more under my belt but in these cases I was the third or second to log some caches but deffo the first-finder!

I'm not that bothered by the "numbers", I just wondered is all... icon_wink.gif

<edit for additional homework>

I now have the right number of virgins under me belt, so that's that question answered! icon_wink.gif

Clamo, clamatis, omnes clamamus pro glace lactis.

[This message was edited by Omally on May 08, 2003 at 10:59 AM.]

Hey Mark & Ian, glad to see that all your hard work on behalf of the Great British geocaching community has been recognised by the 'Big Bosses' from over the pond.

I also see that Tim & June's group has been recognised today as well, Must have been a busy night for our American friends first approving of GC:UK then approving GAGB.

Well done to everyone.

One worry - I'll never remember all these acronyms. Maybe someone will come up with a little aide-memoire.................!!!

It is better to regret something you did, rather than to regret something you didn't do.

quote:
Originally posted by The Hornet:

<snip> Must have been a busy night for our American friends first approving of GC:UK then approving GAGB.

Well done to everyone.

One worry - I'll never remember all these acronyms. Maybe someone will come up with a little aide-memoire.................!!!

How about: GAGB = Get Authorities to Give their Blessings?

Clamo, clamatis, omnes clamamus pro glace lactis.

All these thankyous in one day - but well deserved. GC:UK is so useful I wonder how we did without it - as for the statistics though not a be all and end all quite fascinating. There was a time when I was shown to be the longest serving nutter in the game, then I realised that a few who hadn't been out finding for a few days were not counted which solved the mystery.

quote:
Originally posted by Scrooge:

What's this geocache.uk site? How come I have never heard of it before?

The registered users of the G:UK stats pages together account for about 40% of the total cache "finds" in the UK, and nearly 70% of the UK's "centurions". Last month G:UK served 13,700 pages (318,000 files). So "word of mouth" has been reasonably effective so far. However, I agree that we are not easily findable to new cachers, like yourself, nor is there currently much on the site to help introduce people into the sport. This is something I'd like to address.

The UK moderators do not encourage advertising of G:UK on the forums for fear that Groundspeak would not approve. However Groundspeak have for some time had a link to G:UK on Geocaching.com, which is responsible for quite a few of our "hits". Now that we are also "officially recognised" by geocaching.com, I think it's time to add a link to G:UK to my signature...

GeocacheUK - resources for the UK Geocaching community.

quote:
Originally posted by Teasel:

Now that we are also "officially recognised" by geocaching.com, I think it's time to add a link to G:UK to my signature...

http://www.geocacheuk.com - resources for the UK Geocaching community.

As a supporter of GUK, I have also now changed my sig icon_cool.gif

WoodSmoke

Logo5.gif GeocacheUK - resources for the UK Geocaching community

[This message was edited by Wood Smoke on May 10, 2003 at 08:39 AM.]

quote:

The UK moderators do not encourage advertising of G:UK on the forums for fear that Groundspeak would not approve. However Groundspeak have for some time had a link to G:UK on Geocaching.com, which is responsible for quite a few of our "hits". Now that we are also "officially recognised" by geocaching.com, I think it's time to add a link to G:UK to my signature...

http://www.geocacheuk.com - resources for the UK Geocaching community.

Surely this discouragement must now stop? Surely ALL relevant approved sites (G:UK, GAGB) should be actively promoted?

It is better to regret something you did, rather than to regret something you didn't do.

quote:

The UK moderators do not encourage advertising of G:UK on the forums for fear that Groundspeak would not approve.

That's not quite true Teasel, I have however suggested that it was not proper to conduct polls and other business on behalf of G:UK in the GC.com forum.

As I pointed out, surely your own forum is the correct place for that.

Tim & June (Winchester)

See June, I told you that sign which said 'Unsuitable for Motor Vehicles' was wrong ! icon_smile.gif