SAS cache

Did any of you see the programme with Ex SAS Chris Ryan last night (Thursday)? He had to find a cache in the jungle then go and meet up with his pick ups. They talked about waypoints etc as well. Just like geocaching I thought. They said that special forces around the world hide caches, in which they hold supplies (eg food, water, ammunition etc) Lets hope that their's don't get mixed up with ours. Imagine filling in the log... took AK-47, left beaney toy icon_biggrin.gif

There are 10 kinds of people in this world. Those that understand binary and those that don't.

Mr & Mrs hedghog,

I have noe been in the UK military for fifteen years, we use way points and caches all the time. I've never found a beany toy where I would be expecting ammo. But I did one navigate my self and my team in the completely the wrong grid square. Hence the need for a hand held GPS.

The only reason I purchased my etrex was for use on exercise. Stumbled accross this site quite by accident. I have to say the geocacheing is by far the best use of GPS I have had the pleasure in taking part in.

best wishes .. Drew

Did they get permission to hide the cache? If this was also done during WW2 did they contact Mr Hitler and ask him politely if they could leave ammo, supplies etc and did they give precise co-ordinates so he could check it wasnt infringing/endangering any wildlife? Did Mr Hitler request the same of Mr Churchill? Anyone got co-ords for these? I`d like to swap my trademark Raleigh sticker for a harrier jump jet or similar. icon_biggrin.gif

Mike.

p.s. Are there any in the New Forest?