Text box within individual list items on Bookmark Lists, no longer formats correctly nor appears on printout at all.

mellers

From this morning (13th March 2024) the text box within individual list items on bookmark lists no longer formats correctly in that each 'new line' is now not being recognized by the browser. This results in one (incredibly) long line of text a bit like some sort of 'stream-of- consciousness' . Is contrast to the text with line breaks, this change is making each text box virtually unreadable. It doesn't seem to be a fault with a specific browser as it's happening with Windows on both Chrome and Firefox, and on Apple with Safari.

For example, this is what it should look like:

"MULTI - Fine Pair # 1800 ~ Stanmer

GET 2 FROM HERE
N 50° 52.234 W 000° 06.083
P&D car park

looking at the postbox collect the following information.

Last Collection Time: - 
Monday to Friday: - A:00am
Saturday: - B:00am 
The Last Collection in the Area: - C:00pm from DE North
Road

N 50 5(C-D).(D+E)(B-C)(B-E) W 0 0(C-E).(E*E)(D/E)(D+E)

MICRO / magnetic."

From this morning, ON SCREEN ONLY, it now looks like this:
"MULTI - Fine Pair # 1800 ~ Stanmer GET 2 FROM HERE N 50° 52.234 W 000° 06.083 P&D car park  looking at the postbox collect the following information. Last Collection Time: - Monday to Friday: - A:00am Saturday: - B:00am The Last Collection in the Area: - C:00pm from DE North Road . N 50 5(C-D).(D+E)(B-C)(B-E) W 0 0(C-E).(E*E)(D/E)(D+E) . MICRO / magnetic."

As well as documenting my progress for challenge caches I also use list item text boxes for parking details, multi info and formulae etc on caching day trips. I might have 50 caches and 50 different locations to visit on one trip, so I would normally print something like this to guide me during the day.

When I go to print the list with all that crucial info, the text box disappears completely (as if it's a mobile device display) and all I'm left with is the bookmark list showing each title of the list entries themselves. It means I can no longer use bookmark lists to help me plan my caching trips

• Upvote 4
  • Helpful 1

Let me say, I am encountering this same problem from about the same date. Tonight, I've tried to edit a description. I can pull up the box when I click on the pencil, but as soon as I move the cursor to edit my personal description, the box totally disappears. Please help ASAP!

• Upvote 2

No response or acknowledgment from HQ in the two weeks since this was raised. Please can someone respond even if it’s only to say “we’re looking in to it”, or more disappointingly “we don’t want you to use text boxes in list entries any more”.

A new problem emerged today with list items;

Trying to edit a text box on a mobile device is now impossible.

I can click on the pencil icon and the box appears as if for editing but as soon as I click in to the box, it disappears as if I had not clicked on the pencil. 

I’m currently away from home with only an iPad to try it on so at present can’t say if this is across multiple device types and or browsers.

• Upvote 4

We are aware of the issue that line breaks are not respected and working on it.

I am unable to repro the reported issue that list item descriptions cannot be edited when using the website on mobile. I tested with Chrome on a Pixel 8 and different accounts, and editing worked as expected.

Can you please provide on which device you are experiencing the issue (ideally with OS version), and what browser you are using (ideally with browser version).

Thank you for the repro steps. We are already aware of the issue that the formatting isn't respected and are working on it.

@Car54 @mellers About the text field disappearing/ not being able to edit: Can you please provide on which device you are experiencing the issue (ideally with OS version), and what browser you are using (ideally with browser version).

17 hours ago, SnowstormMK said:

@mellers About the text field disappearing/ not being able to edit: Can you please provide on which device you are experiencing the issue (ideally with OS version), and what browser you are using (ideally with browser version).

I experience the problem of not being able to edit a text box on my iPad which is running iPadOS version 17.4.1 and I’m using Safari. I have been unable to independently verify which specific version of Safari I am using but the Internet tells me that the iPadOS version 17 blah blah blah tells anyone who needs to know that I am using Safari 17. let’s hope that’s true! If you need more information and can tell me where I can find it, please let me know.

Completely bizarrely, I’ve just tried Car54’s weird tip of holding the device in portrait orientation - and that works to enable iPad editing. Obviously something’s not quite right that you have to rotate your device to make something work but it’s a good temporary workaround until you guys fix it.

Thanks for the update thus far that you’re working on fixing the formatting problems which gives me hope that you’re not about to do away with text boxes on lists altogether. I appreciate any updates you can give from time to time.

On 4/11/2024 at 10:27 AM, SnowstormMK said:

Thank you for the repro steps. We are already aware of the issue that the formatting isn't respected and are working on it.

@Car54 @mellers About the text field disappearing/ not being able to edit: Can you please provide on which device you are experiencing the issue (ideally with OS version), and what browser you are using (ideally with browser version).

iPad mini 5th generation - IOS version 17.41

Safari browser version 17

The problem of the text field disappearing has been intermittent. Lately, it has been working. But a new problem has arisen. After editing the text, the page returns to the top of the page instead of staying where it is. When you are editing a number of caches on a list, this is tiresome. Please help.

• Upvote 2
10 hours ago, shamik said:

The problem of the text field disappearing has been intermittent. Lately, it has been working. But a new problem has arisen. After editing the text, the page returns to the top of the page instead of staying where it is. When you are editing a number of caches on a list, this is tiresome. Please help.

Yes, I had been experiencing that phenomenon too, since the lastest ‘upgrade’.  

I too had found it equally tiresome and user-unfriendly but had assumed it was a new ‘feature’ that I was simply going to have to get used to. If it’s equally annoying to others and is perhaps an unintentional addition (and you guys can get the pages to stop doing it), then please do.

• Upvote 1
Posted (edited)

Just happened to be perusing one of my lists today and noticed that the line break was now being recognised (hooray!) but a new problem is being observed in that the word wrap was not working so that text is lost off the right hand side of the page (boo!). Printing is still not showing text box entries at all yet. Textboxinfowordwrapnonfunctioning.thumb.png.49f44811213b91a403a65d2ba3847209.png

I understand that you might be mid-way through your remedial actions and if that's the case, I realise your fixes may not be fully implemented yet, so don't want to complain about anything at this point (heaven forbid!), but I thought you might find that feedback from a user helpful just in case you're in the process of tweaking things.
Thanks for at least trying to sort the problem, thus far :) .

Edited by mellers
  • Helpful 1

Following my post above giving feedback on your progress so far, I was happy to wait patiently until you got around to fixing the remaining problems. That is to say, 

• The list will not print text box information
  • The list TITLE text box (that is to say the text box under the title on the list page) STILL does not recognise line breaks and appears as one line of text.
  • Amending a list takes you back to the top of the page (annoyingly)
  • The word wrap on an ordinary list entry is not recognised and text falls off the right hand side of the page.

However. today I received a promotional email from you pointing to the official blog:

https://www.geocaching.com/blog/2024/04/our-favorite-premium-features-lists/

extolling the virtues of lists as one of your "favourite premium features" to use your own words.

This leads me to believe that you think you have solved all the problems listed above which remain. Let me assure you, you have NOT.

These four issues remain to be addressed and it would also be good if you could give us some indication that you are aware that the problem still exists. Starting to feel pretty frustrated by now.