Dan & Pid and "The Meaning of Life"

Slytherin

Well I have to admit that now and again we get a bit of a chuckle reading the Amazing Exploits of Dan & Pid.

No more so than this week:

http://www.geocaching.com/seek/cache_details.aspx?ID=42687

The boys made two mistakes with this one.

1) By the sound of it, they drove there, when to solve it properly you have to Hitch-Hike to it

2) They obviously had no idea where their towels were.

In the words of Corporal Jones - "Don't Panic" and you will solve the puzzle.

Dan & Pid - Mostly Harmless???????

Alex

--------------------------------------------

I'm never more than 35ft away from MY towel.

How about some vogon poetry...

Oh freddled gruntbuggly thy micturations are to me

As plurdled gabbleblotchits on a lurgid bee.

Groop I implore thee my foonting turlingdromes.

And hooptiously drangle me with crinkly bindlewurdles,

Or I will rend thee in the gobberwarts with my blurglecruncheon,

see if I don't!

Published by: Megadodo Publications

Chris

Bear rescues a speciality!

London & UK Geocaching Resources: http://www.sheps.clara.net

There's an infinite improbability that Dan and Pid will ever work out what we're talking about.

It'll probably take them until the restaurant at the end of the universe to get it...

They ought to bash their two heads (and three arms?) together (or just smash themselves in the head with a slice of lemon wrapped around a large gold brick).

'tis all very funny.

--

**Mother is the name of God on the lips of all children**

quote:
Originally posted by Nia:

True techies listen to it they don't read it.

OH WELL SAID NIA!!!

Thats the first time I have heard anyone else admit that it is in fact a *radio script* originally, and not a book. Described by the critics a "a piece of pure radio...as the TV series went on to prove!"

Erm, I suppose that makes me a techie...ooops.

I know its off topic but this is such fun....I remember listening to the original broadcast in 1978. Anyone else on here actually able to say(admit) that?

quote:
Originally posted by el10t:

Real techies read the original radio scripts - listening to the radio show spoils it.

Rich

_mobilis in mobili_

I disagree. Having listened to it on the radio, read the books, and then watched it on the telly (in that order), I found the radio series by and far the most enjoyable.

Couple of points:

1. Is it really fair to put a clue into a puzzle cache, that only a small percentage of the population is likely to have any idea about?

2. How can a thread this long on the HHGTTG, not have any comments by Jeremyp - one of it's biggest fans, I assume from his sig.

Mark

----------------------

I was technical once

quote:
Originally posted by Masher:

1. Is it really fair to put a clue into a puzzle cache, that only a small percentage of the population is likely to have any idea about?

It's a fair bet that the percentage of UK geocachers who knew what the reference was is much higher than the national average.

I thought it was a fair clue. Easy if you know it. Hard if you are Dan & Pid

quote:
Originally posted by Slytherin:

It's a fair bet that the percentage of UK geocachers who knew what the reference was is much higher than the national average.

I agree. Also, it doesn't take a huge amount of internet research to find the answer even if you have never heard of it.

[Amended after having tried it - most searches come up with references to Monty Python's Meaning of Life. Perhaps the clue should have included "the Universe and Everything"]

quote:

So you can read the scipts without hearing the voice of Peter Jones as "The Book" - bet you can't!!

Fair point - I was just trying to trump the "real techies..." bit by taking it up a level. icon_biggrin.gif

In the published radio scripts Douglas Adams describes how he would write each episode right up to the recording deadline, frequently without any idea of what was going to happen next. For example he thought it would be a good idea to end one episode with Ford and Arthur being thrown off the Vogon ship into space, so this was broadcast. He then only had a very short time to think of some way out of the predicament before the next episode was due to be recorded, and so invented the infinite imporbability drive.

Rich

mobilis in mobili

quote:

I disagree. Having listened to it on the radio, read the books, and then watched it on the telly (in that order), I found the radio series by and far the most enjoyable.

Ah but you can't disagree if you haven't read the radio scripts. icon_razz.gif How do you know that reading the scripts isn't better than listening to the radio show?

Anyway, I was just being silly. See my admission of guilt above.

icon_biggrin.gif

Rich

mobilis in mobili

quote:

What about the stage play.... are you going to tell me you never saw THAt version. Oh, and don't forget the records, they are different too!

Paul

Team Blitz

No, I gave YOU the spare batteries....

quote:

You're probably right about the percentage of cachers who would have known. That ups our nerdy/anorak quotient somewhat, methinks. icon_biggrin.gif

Mark

----------------------

I was technical once

I was forwarded the log by the person who placed the cache, and I must say that the thought that Dan and Pid failed to find the meaning of life after a few drinks was funny to me. Most of us fail to discover the meaning of life but are a bit closer to finding it after a few drinks.

As regards it being an unfair reference, there are other puzzle caches which refer to works of fiction, and often less well known ones at that.

Don't mention the mushrooms

[This message was edited by dylanhayes on December 02, 2002 at 02:25 AM.]

quote:

2. How can a thread this long on the HHGTTG, not have any comments by Jeremyp - one of it's biggest fans, I assume from his sig.

I've just got back from an intergalactic cruise (in my office).

I'd just like to point out that the clue is technically not correct. 42 is the ultimate answer to life, the universe and everything. It is not "the meaning of life". If it was, the purpose of the Earth's existence would be meaningless because we'd already know the question to life, the universe and everything.

My favourite has always been the book. Douglas Adams had time to tighten up the plot and improve some of the jokes between the radio and the book. (e.g. read / listen to how Arthur manages to get out from in front of the bulldozers without having his house immediately knocked down).

The TV series OTOH was so expensive that the BBC had to cancel a series of the Goodies to pay for it. This is what lead to them defecting to ITV.

-------

jeremyp

The second ten million caches were the worst too.

http://www.jeremyp.net/geocaching

quote:
Originally posted by jeremyp:

quote:

I'd just like to point out .....

Told you icon_biggrin.gif

Mark

----------------------

I was technical once

quote:

For people who have never heard / read / seen the Hitch Hikers Guide to the Galaxy, my sig is a paraphrase of my second favourite Marvin quote. After being marooned on Magrathea for half the age of the Universe he describes his experience thus: "The first ten million years were the worst. The second ten million years were the worst too. After that I went into a bit of a decline..."

-------

jeremyp

quote:
Originally posted by jeremyp:

For people who have never heard / read / seen the Hitch Hikers Guide to the Galaxy, my sig is a paraphrase of my second favourite Marvin quote.

I may as well be the one to ask - what's your first favourite?

Fnwu n ies galu rnseupyu cesf pucieut. Aj yahltu tagu aj sfug nys bhgi - sfuq'lu ajsup tshbupst, jal funwup't tnzu. - Sullq Rlnsyfuss

quote:
Originally posted by SimonG:

I may as well be the one to ask - what's your first favourite?

Life: Loathe it or ignore it, you can't like it.

I couldn't think of an easy way to turn it into a GC relevant sig. I suppose I could have "Woodland: loathe it or ignore it, you can't like it."

-------

jeremyp