How do you make a series of caches

Coumpter

55 minutes ago, coumpter said:

What should it include and how close should they be together and should you label it is part of series

Here's the Help Center article on getting started. I know you've already hidden a geocache, but this answers some of your questions:

https://www.geocaching.com/blog/2020/07/how-to-hide-your-first-geocache/

You can label them as part of a series, if you choose.

Edited by Max and 99

I have a series of caches that I call my ‘House Series”.  The only thing they have in common is the word “house” in the name.

House Series Geocaches

GC6MQRE, House on the Hill

GC9CZ4N, House by the side of the road

GC9V64J, House in the Woods

GC9V62X, House in the Corner

GC9V65B, House in the Fencerow

GC9V64Z, House in the Valley

GC9XFKE, School House 2

GC9XFK8, Tree House

GC9XHW2, Mouse House

• Upvote 1

So tempted to be sarcastic here, and suggest you go out and buy, the cheapest, tiniest and worst caches you can find and lay hundreds of those along roads, and then fail to maintain them. That's what some do. However, don't follow this 'advice'. Get waterproof caches, some big enough for trackables. Anything that is the size of a film cannister or smaller is a micro. If it's not big enough to hold a log and a couple of trackables, it's also likely a micro. A stamp for a letterbox cache is not optional, and a micro letterbox cache is an oxymoron. (End sarcasm!)

I see though that you have only nine finds. I would wait until you have found at least a hundred finds before laying a trail. I waited to I had found 800 caches before placing my first cache. I didn't consider I was experienced enough before then. But if you must place a cache, start with a single one first and see how that goes. Good luck :).

• Upvote 2
  • Love 1
1 hour ago, coumpter said:

What should it include and how close should they be together and should you label it is part of series

How close do you want them to be?

I've found cache series where the caches in each series were miles apart, related only by a common theme of some sort. Sometimes the series had a bonus cache, but not always. Occasionally, the CO offered some kind of reward to those who completed the series.

As far as labeling caches as part of a series, how would anyone know that the caches are part of a series if they aren't labeled as part of a series?

• Upvote 1
1 minute ago, coumpter said:

How many caches should be in a series

How many caches do you want to be in the series? Some are just a few caches. Some are dozens of caches. Some (especially those where multiple COs work together) are hundreds of caches.

• Upvote 1

It's great to see you're enthusiastic about this, but if you waited until you found more caches, you would have a better idea of what caches to publish and wouldn't need to ask these questions. Finding a variety of caches will give you more ideas.

Anyway, welcome to geocaching and I hope you find lots of caches :).

• Upvote 7

As others have stated, and I agree, your enthusisam is great, and asking questions before placing different types of caches is wise!  Many of the questions you are asking will be answered as you FIND MORE CACHES, of all the various types to discover how they are done, and which type(s) you like and would like to place and maintain.

As a basic member, on your phone, all you can see are traditionals and events-other cache types, puzzles, multis, challenges, and higher difficulty and terrain caches, can be seen on the website on your computer (or even in a browser on your phone, but it's way too hard for me, at least, to use the website on the phone.  I much prefer my laptop when using the website). Anyway, I would suggest looking up nearby events to meet other geocachers in your area, and asking many of your questions there.  They can be a great resource for you as you learn all the ins and outs of geocaching finding and hiding.  Additionally, meeting the locals will help you to know what works in your neck of the woods, and what doesn't.Types of caches, what's acceptable and what's not does vary around the world, so knowing the local playing field is helpful.

There are many videos and guides out, by geocaching.com and other people who have lots of experience and can provide you with many ideas and tips on doing this thing called geocaching.  The best way to learn is by getting out there, attending events, meeting and talking with others, and FINDING caches of all types!  Get out there and have fun!

Edited by CAVinoGal
  • Upvote 1

I want to point out here that I wrote a pretty decent detailed reply to this cacher a few days ago which got a few up-thumbs, and then the thread was suddenly gone.

Now, this cacher has asked a series of extremely simplistic questions, all of which are in degrees impossible to answer given the simplicity of each query.

I'd suggest that the cacher evaluate all of the answers received so far as a whole, including the ones on the deleted thread and start looking at this holistically, instead of one step at a time, which will strain the patience of the collective.

And, read the Help Center section of the website.

• Upvote 6
  • Helpful 3