How do you make a magnetic geocache

Plenty of folks use magnetic hide-a-key containers, but these are not waterproof by any stretch, so they go through a lot of plastic bags.

I get pretty good results with using PET preforms (which are pretty waterproof and durable) and just gluing magnets to them.

• Helpful 1

I did something like that.  I used a match container (the type for camping) and attached a magnet with a glob of two-part epoxy glue.  The magnets were from a hardware store. 

The cache was sheltered and held up well.  The magnet wasn’t strong enough for the flood waters, but that’s another story. 

• Upvote 1
  • Helpful 1
4 hours ago, coumpter said:

I want to make a magnetic geocache It was wondering if you recommend a specific container, spot or size

Thanks

Coumpter 

I have a bunch of 50ml centrifuge vials (comparable in size to bottle preforms), and glued a long flat magnet to mine.  Then I covered the magnet with my cache label and a themed vinyl sticker, for extra magnet security.  It sticks to the metal post behind an information sign, where it's out of view.

I have a small lock-n-lock that has a big old-fashioned hard drive magnet glued inside the box.  It sticks to its guard rail nicely.

And I found two sizes of waterproof key holders which come with integral magnets and even a magnetic mount pad.  One of mine magnetically sticks to a wooden fence post, using the mount pad.  But they're expensive for such a tiny container.

Those caches have worked pretty well.  An advantage of a magnet cache is you can design it so that it's simple for finders to return the container exactly to its hiding spot.

Edited by kunarion
  • Helpful 1

One of my favorite magnetic containers was a custom cut steel plate that was meant to fit in a specific spot on an existing piece of artwork. The art was completely rusted over, and the CO had allowed the container to rust to the same degree before magnetizing it into the square notch in the art. The logbook was contained in a pouch on the backside of the plate, sandwiched between it and the art. It was unfortunately stolen, archived, and subsequently lovingly recreated (by me). 

I think you should find something that is both magnetic and fun to look at, then choose a container that blends in on the object.

• Upvote 1
  • Surprised 2
8 hours ago, TheLimeCat said:

One of my favorite magnetic containers was a custom cut steel plate that was meant to fit in a specific spot on an existing piece of artwork. The art was completely rusted over, and the CO had allowed the container to rust to the same degree before magnetizing it into the square notch in the art. The logbook was contained in a pouch on the backside of the plate, sandwiched between it and the art. It was unfortunately stolen, archived, and subsequently lovingly recreated (by me). 

I think you should find something that is both magnetic and fun to look at, then choose a container that blends in on the object.

Do you have a photo of that geocache so I could see what it looks like for some inspiration or the gc code

Edited by coumpter
1 hour ago, coumpter said:

Do you have a photo of that geocache so I could see what it looks like for some inspiration or the gc code

image.thumb.png.beb516cb9499c0987fa213edbf7b161b.pngimage.thumb.jpeg.a36820a367eaae631aa23e31a1aa0f56.jpeg

The place on the sculpture where it sits is actually the backside of an identical plate that lists the installation date and organization responsible for the art. I sanded the backside of the magnets and the plate with some coarse grit to introduce scratches in preparation for super gluing the magnets in place. I guess that the scratches give the glue a better foothold in both materials.

Edited by TheLimeCat
  • Upvote 1
  • Helpful 1
15 hours ago, geoawareUSA9 said:

Plenty of folks use magnetic hide-a-key containers, but these are not waterproof by any stretch, so they go through a lot of plastic bags.

FWIW, I think hide-a-key containers work best when they're placed somewhere sheltered, and where any water that gets inside can drain/evaporate. The log may get damp, but then it can dry out. Adding a plastic bag just traps water, so the log gets gross.

• Upvote 1
  • Helpful 1
20 hours ago, niraD said:
On 2/9/2024 at 8:59 PM, geoawareUSA9 said:

FWIW, I think hide-a-key containers work best when they're placed somewhere sheltered, and where any water that gets inside can drain/evaporate. The log may get damp, but then it can dry out. Adding a plastic bag just traps water, so the log gets gross.

Yep.

The theory is, the plastic bag keeps the log dry. Which is great until the first time the log gets damp from someone caching on a wet day, or an unsealed bag.

After that, the plastic bag keeps the log wet...

• Upvote 1
  • Helpful 2
12 hours ago, Viajero Perdido said:

If I was the artist, I'd be aghast at people poking/pulling/prying at my work.

From the picture, it looks like the kind of public art that is intended to be experienced up close and even handled.

13 hours ago, Viajero Perdido said:

If I was the artist, I'd be aghast at people poking/pulling/prying at my work.

We can find better places.  Please.

Perhaps this is not obvious from the photo, but even the thinnest decorative pieces of the arbor are made of thick steel sheets. Unless you are Thor, it is definitely not fragile enough for you to have any kind of noticeable impact on it, short of using power tools or your handy geocaching ice pick. The previous cache was there for 9 years and there has never any damage done to the arbor, not by geocachers, nor by the thousands of people who pass (and yes, sit on) it each week.

• Upvote 1

We've made several 3D printed containers that have compartments to glue magnets into, these work well, generally as the protective outer/carrier for a bison or larger internal tube. You need to hermetically seal the magnet in as best you can, as they rust easily. We use epoxy glue to glue and encapsulate the magnet in place....

I have a few magnetic caches.  Early on I had trouble with glueing the magnet to the container.  Every adhesive I tried, failed. Then I learned to put the magnets inside the container.  Then all you need is some duct tape to hold them in place and keep them from sticking to each other.  Of course you need strong magnets.  I used rare earth magnets I bought online or salvaged from old PC hard drives. 

• Upvote 2
  • Helpful 1