Tree Fishing....Identify or not?

stipman

Just discovered the phrase "Tree Fishing"

Have a cache that's ready to go but now I'm second guessing myself.  It involves tossing a piece of para cord up that has a small magnet on the end (a littlt larger than size of thumb nail). The magnet is from a scavenged hard drive and is quite powerful.  The cord is in a lock & lock at base of tree. When tossed up properly, the magnet attaches to the cache, you pull it down, sign the log, release it and it retracts back up in the tree.

Should I identify the cache as a tree fishing excursion? I'd really like people to attempt to toss the cord up and "catch" the cache rather than bring their own device/pole to grab the cache.

Thoughts/comments?

Edited by stipman

One thing I've learned as a CO is that people will find their own ways of getting to a cache, not necessarily the way you planned for them to get to the cache.  I'd write-up in the description that the materials used to retrieve the cache are on site and to let you know if there's an issue with the materials.  That's probably the most you can do.  From your description I'd worry that I might not be able to land the magnet on the cache from the ground, so maybe I'd do something else, like find a large branch, put the magnet on the end, and try to stick the magnet to the cache or something.

• Upvote 1
  • Helpful 2
42 minutes ago, stipman said:

Have a cache that's ready to go but now I'm second guessing myself.  It involves tossing a piece of para cord up that has a small magnet on the end (a littlt larger than size of thumb nail). The magnet is from a scavenged hard drive and is quite powerful.  The cord is in a lock & lock at base of tree. When tossed up properly, the magnet attaches to the cache, you pull it down, sign the log, release it and it retracts back up in the tree.

Should I identify the cache as a tree fishing excursion? I'd really like people to attempt to toss the cord up and "catch" the cache rather than bring their own device/pole to grab the cache.

Thoughts/comments?

I would be most concerned about the container with the paracord and magnet being considered by some to be the cache, and acquiring a "replacement log" that would then confirm to others that it is indeed the cache. And then the paracord and magnet would be considered a trade item. And then someone would trade a Happy Meal toy in exchange for the paracord and magnet.

• Upvote 2
1 hour ago, stipman said:

Thoughts/comments?

When I saw such a setup, I would immediately get my own telescopic pole, to get the magnet up to the cache in a controlled way ;) . Tossing up a cord would most likely result in lots of misses, and possibly a cord entangled in branches.

• Upvote 2
  • Helpful 2
35 minutes ago, niraD said:

I would be most concerned about the container with the paracord and magnet being considered by some to be the cache, and acquiring a "replacement log" that would then confirm to others that it is indeed the cache. And then the paracord and magnet would be considered a trade item. And then someone would trade a Happy Meal toy in exchange for the paracord and magnet.

In the container with the para cord is a  "Look up for the cache" note.  Cache description will say something like "all tools needed to retrieve cache are located at GZ" I can add a laminated "This is NOT the cache" card in the container for extra clarity

• Upvote 1

Cant count on cacher being able to "catch the cache"?  Idea was that it would make it challenging. Lots of misses

I applaud you for creating a cache that is above and beyond just plain ordinary.  I'm just saying that you have to apply human nature to the challenge you presented.  

1) Hopefully people will work as intended and enjoy the experience and write up a nice log and give the cache a favorite point.

2) Others might not read the description, find the container on the ground, think the log is missing, and "helpfully" add a log sheet to that container, with others following and signing that log

3) Others might find the challenge "too hard" and resort to other means to retrieve the cache, such as some methods mentioned above, climbing up, etc.

And so on.  I hope the cache goes well and you enjoy how it turns out.

My cache https://coord.info/GC5GV3G was a magnetic container at the top of a 15 foot light pole.  I encouraged spoiler photos because people were creative in how they retrieved the cache and replaced it.  I had a retrieval method in mind but I enjoyed seeing what others came up with.  Many of the photos and logs are fun.

I can add a laminated "This is NOT the cache" card in the container for extra clarity

I have seen "replacement logs" added to containers that had laminated "This is NOT the cache" notes.

As GeoElmo6000 pointed out, you have to keep human nature in mind.

• Upvote 1
  • Helpful 1
18 hours ago, stipman said:

Thoughts/comments?

Yours is the kind of cache that keeps me interested in geocaching. Would love to see something liked that placed around here. Unfortunately, as others have mentioned, you'll have those who won't even make an attempt to do it properly, mess up the cache, and/or have find logs come in from people that spotted the container but never actually reached it. 

I don't know your layout so this may not be of any concern. If there are branches near the cache, can a bad toss of the cord accidently cause it to make a wrap or two around one and cause it to be stuck?

• Upvote 1
Just now, Mudfrog said:

Yours is the kind of cache that keeps me interested in geocaching. Would love to see something liked that placed around here. Unfortunately, as others have mentioned, you'll have those who won't even make an attempt to do it properly, will mess up the cache somehow, and/or post find logs when they've spotted the container but never actually reached it. 

I don't know your layout so this may not be of any concern. If there are branches near the cache, can a bad toss of the cord accidently cause it to make a wrap or two around one and cause it to be stuck?

• Surprised 1
4 minutes ago, Mudfrog said:

Yours is the kind of cache that keeps me interested in geocaching. Would love to see something liked that placed around here. Unfortunately, as others have mentioned, you'll have those who won't even make an attempt to do it properly, mess up the cache, and/or have find logs come in from people that spotted the container but never actually reached it. 

The cord is just that, a cord with a magnet attached to the end. Basically the end of the cord looks like a cotton swab and has no edges to catch in a tree. (famous last words).  As for cachers who log the cache without even trying.  Thats OK with me.  Caching is something individual to everyone and if a person feels that seeing a cache is the same as finding a cache, good for you. I, like most, think signing the log constitutes a find. I do not compare log entries to online log entries.

It's pretty typical of puzzle design in general as well. As the creator, you make it and intend to provide fun. Many people will follow that nudge and work at it. But there will be some who simply couldn't care and just want to get to the solution. A good puzzle will make it more enticing to do the puzzle properly, outweighing the temptation to cut corners and just get to the end. As a puzzle creator, there value bias in completing the puzzle as intended. For a fresh brain, that value needs to be inferred throughout the experience so there's no one point where their own temptation to give up outweighs their inferred value.

Around here, the desire to work, almost at all, for a smiley is practically nil, so owners have all but given up creating gadget caches or multiple stage multis or puzzles, because people just pass on coordinates, damage containers, or skip steps that aren't needed even if they add to experience. We have so many unmaintained mundane trads, and roadsides, and powertrails, because it's seen just not worth the effort to create more value-added experiences if people don't want them.

I feel like a 'tree fishing' cache would be fresh enough for people to try [here], but we have many with tools that accomplish the task of making task-based geocaches easier to do; like having an extension pole or ladder to avoid a tree climb -- which is perfect to skip the challenge of tree fishing with a magnet...

So yeah, got to keep human nature in mind, but part of that is understanding your local community too.

• Upvote 1
4 hours ago, stipman said:

I do not compare log entries to online log entries.

And that is why others of us get more work, contacting the geocacher, and then possibly deleting their log. If I can't find a cache I log a DNF. Unfortunately, there are some who think even if they can't find the cache, like heck they were in the area...so 'log'. I had eight DNFs in a day recently (likely a record for me) and logged the DNFs. I know of others who would have logged all those as finds, as they visited the area. Didn't find them, but they were there...

Most unhelpful for the CO. They don't know the cache is missing, or the rated 1.5D is really a 4D. (Of course there are some who are well aware their cache is not a mere 1.5D, but they always mark ALL their caches the same. That's another discussion.)

Unless the log is signed, they could be logging it from Kathmandu, never have visited the cache.

• Surprised 1
23 hours ago, stipman said:

Thoughts/comments?

The only "tree fishing" cache I've done included an actual fishing reel. I'm dyslexic, so seems I'm not seeing the same as others...

This "small" magnet must be heavy enough to swing up into a tree, right?  Is it heavy enough to hit a kid in the face if they missed?

Many we know throw heavy shot bags regularly (to attach rope), and we've seen how uncoordinated friends who don't are.  :laughing:

We have a small, rounded lead fishing bank weight for throwing light mason line to do the same, and found most prefer the leather bag than maybe getting hit by that thumbnail-size piece of metal when they (almost always...) miss.  

I like the retracting part, cool idea!   But I see most bringing a pole and taping your magnet to the end once word's out...

2 hours ago, cerberus1 said:

This "small" magnet must be heavy enough to swing up into a tree, right?  Is it heavy enough to hit a kid in the face if they missed?

...But I see most bringing a pole and taping your magnet to the end once word's out...

I did think about the "return trip" issue of throwing something up in the air that is going to come back.  The weight of the end of the cord (magnet) is very small.  No where near the weight used for shot bags/"lead sinkers" (although I'm showing my age by calling them lead!). 

If a cacher brings a pole, good for them.  If they bring a drone, good for them. If they bring a trained monkey, good for them (just post a picture!)

I want people to have fun, and everyone has their own definition of fun!

Edited by stipman
  • Upvote 2

There was a similar fishing cache, which was (and still is?) pretty cool. It was arranged as a multi: You would find the necessary gear in a box and coordinates or instructions to the final which was nearby. It took a whole to hit the target and if I had a fishing pole with me I probably would have used it and missed all the fun. Since it was a multi, there was no way to confuse the first box with the actual cache.

I'd like to make a similar cache here but I'n not sure how it would function in the cold.

• Surprised 1