Feature request: notifications

Features in the app that would be very useful:

• notifications about new caches nearby,
  • notifications of new logs of cache owners that I didn't find/which I added a note to.
    This is important so that I know that after me, for example, the author has fixed the cache and I can look for it again.

These are features that OC already has, and it would be wonderful if GC had them too.

• Funny 1
33 minutes ago, FomoCoaster said:

Features in the app that would be very useful:

• notifications about new caches nearby,
  • notifications of new logs of cache owners that I didn't find/which I added a note to.
    This is important so that I know that after me, for example, the author has fixed the cache and I can look for it again.

You can set up notifications on geocaching.com that will send you an email when a new cache is published.  You need to set a separate notification for each cache type you want to be notified of.

If you DNF a cache, you can add it to a watchlist, and you will get notification of any activity on that cache.  However, I believe you need to set this up on the website, not the app.  

The official geocaching app is adequate, but not as robust as the website.  I use both, and there are other geocaching apps that have more features than the official app.  The features you are requesting are part of the website and available to premium members.  

• Upvote 1
  • Helpful 1

I use email for notifications of new caches.  Didn't you need an email account to first log into the site?  Thanks.

I also get notifications if I put a cache on my watch list, by clicking on "watch" on the cache page.

- So if the CO fixes a cache, I'll know about it immediately.  :)

Edited by cerberus1
  • Helpful 1

If this is the wrong thread for this, please advise...

As a CO, I would love to know when a finder has included a photo(s) with his or her log. A note and/or link in the "found" or "attended" emails would be a great add. Maybe for other log types too, including caches on my watchlist. Thanks!

Edited by myrthman
  • Upvote 1
1 hour ago, myrthman said:

As a CO, I would love to know when a finder has included a photo(s) with his or her log. A note and/or link in the "found" or "attended" emails would be a great add. Maybe for other log types too, including caches on my watchlist. Thanks!

This used to be asked for a lot when phones started to be used more and finally had a decent camera.

I can see myself thankful for the kind words on a cache, then a week later ticked off that two spoiler pics were added...

Edited by cerberus1
explainification...
On 8/10/2023 at 8:04 PM, myrthman said:

If this is the wrong thread for this, please advise...

You can set up an rss feed on the gallery of a cachelisting.
If you're having a designated RSS-Reader on your phone/computer (e.g. we're using a telegram-bot for that) you can add:

https://www.geocaching.com/datastore/rss_galleryimages.ashx?guid=put_the_guid_of_the_cachegallery_in_here

You can copy the GUID by simply opening the gallery et voilá you'll find it in the browserbar.

Another really nice build in feature is the "Cache owner dashboard" which you'll find at https://www.geocaching.com/play/owner.
Our playeraccount is using it as a landingpage to enter the website, just to make sure everything is alright whith our caches (our local community is still waiting for the day, that our reviewer-account is writing a nag-note to our playeraccount). You'll find the latest logs, with pictures and added favorite points right there.

• Surprised 1
  • Helpful 1