A Brief TB Survey

Vicious Cycle

I've released TBs with very specific goals in the past. Some cachers make an earnest attempt to read the TB goals and help the bug reach its goal, while others ...well...let's just say "not so much."

From a Travel Bug owner's perspective it can be a little frustrating, but it has not stopped me from releasing TBs. I'm aware I'm assuming the risk of losing the TB when I release it into the wild. But I have a couple of questions for the general Geocaching community:

1. Do you prefer to find TB with specific goals or the ones that just want to get miles or travel from cache to cache? 
  2. Does it seem to you that TBs with a general goal of simply getting as many miles as possible tend to travel further and last longer than TBs with more specific goals (e.g., visit each of the state capitals)?
  3. Do you ever specifically search for Geocaches with TBs in them?
  4. Does a cache with TBs in its inventory make a cache more attractive to you?
  5. Have you ever kidnapped a TB? (...held on to a TB much longer than you intended)

Edited by Vicious Cycle
58 minutes ago, Vicious Cycle said:

Do you prefer to find TB with specific goals or the ones that just want to get miles or travel from cache to cache?

I prefer to find a TB with some sort of goal beyond merely traveling, and I prefer for the TB to have a tag explaining the goal attached to it.

Does it seem to you that TBs with a general goal of simply getting as many miles as possible tend to travel further and last longer than TBs with more specific goals (e.g., visit each of the state capitals)?

Honestly, I have no idea.

Do you ever specifically search for Geocaches with TBs in them?

No.

Does a cache with TBs in its inventory make a cache more attractive to you?

No.

Have you ever kidnapped a TB? (...held on to a TB much longer than you intended)

Kidnapped, no. Held longer than I intended, yes. I picked up a trackable that wanted to visit playgrounds. I was working on a streak at the time, so I was finding a cache every day. I never did find a cache big enough to hold the TB, and eventually passed it on to someone else at an event. But I did find a number of caches near playgrounds, and dutifully posted photos of the trackable with the playgrounds in the background, and uploaded them to the Visited log that I posted for the trackable.

• Upvote 1
1 hour ago, Vicious Cycle said:

... I have a couple of questions for the general Geocaching community:

Do you prefer to find TB with specific goals or the ones that just want to get miles or travel from cache to cache? 

Does it seem to you that TBs with a general goal of simply getting as many miles as possible tend to travel further and last longer than TBs with more specific goals (e.g., visit each of the state capitals)?

Do you ever specifically search for Geocaches with TBs in them?

Does a cache with TBs in its inventory make a cache more attractive to you?

Have you ever kidnapped a TB? (...held on to a TB much longer than you intended)

I prefer simple "cache to cache" goals, but since I use a GPSr I probably won't even know what it's goal is until I get home.

-   A ridiculously creative goal is the TO's "wish", not mine.  I'm Geocaching, not running errands for another...

We don't see a "difference" with any trackable goal.  Few read them.  It's all a luck of the draw that simply depends on who is in possession.

We don't search for trackables.  We're searching for geocaches.  Searching for trackables is what hoarders and future hoarders do...

Trackable inventories have been incorrect for so long that we don't think of trackables until we stumble on one. 

-    Most times we spot a trackable in caches that have none listed...

I have never "kidnapped" a trackable...  I held onto one longer than the (used to asked for) two weeks.  I had kidney stones...

I contacted the TO again (who never responded with the first either...) and put it in the next cache that was sorta safe for trackables.

11 hours ago, Vicious Cycle said:
  1. Do you prefer to find TB with specific goals or the ones that just want to get miles or travel from cache to cache? 
  2. Does it seem to you that TBs with a general goal of simply getting as many miles as possible tend to travel further and last longer than TBs with more specific goals (e.g., visit each of the state capitals)?
  5. Have you ever kidnapped a TB? (...held on to a TB much longer than you intended)

Interesting set of questions!  I do enjoy the trackable side game, both sending them out and retrieving to see if I can help accomplish the goal, if there is one.  I also like to post photos of the TB's at various locations related to their goals, if I can do that.  So, to answer your questions:
1.  I like to look at TB goals, and see if  I can somehow help them on their way.  If they just want to travel I will give them some miles If I can.  I will look at the map of where a bug has been, and see if I can add new states/areas.  Either way, with a goal or just travel, I don't really have a preference, though ones with a goal sometimes give me more (or less) incentive to pick it up, if I can help it along, or not.

2. I haven't kept any stats, so I really have no idea.  I give all my TB's a goal/mission.  Some disappear, some travel randomly anyway, some actually stick to their goal!  Guess it depends on the cacher who has it, and that will be completely random  once it's in the wild.

3. Sometimes, but since you  really can't tell until you find the cache if the trackables are actually there, it can be a disappointing venture.  More times than not, I hope to find a specific TB in a cache because I CAN help it along on it 's goal, and would really like to have it with me for a bit, only to find the cache with no TB's, or  the one specific one I wanted was NOT there.

4. Not necessarily, as I stated in #3, I can't really count on the TB being in the inventory.  I'm hopeful, but usually disappointed.  Favorite points, lonely caches, some puzzles that have been a challenge for me to solve - those make caches attractive to me. Travel bugs, occasionally, but not so much.

5. I try to move the TB's I carry in a timely way - I do have some that I carry for awhile, but I will contact the TO and tell them WHY I want to carry their bug for an extended period - a trip in a few months that will fulfill a goal, or someplace special I want to take it.  I have lost a bagful of TB's (personal ones of mine, and a few others) left on the trunk of a car as I drove off somewhere in the Northeastern US - none have shown up yet, and I contacted all the TO's to tell them of my blunder.  They still show in my inventory and I am hopeful, someday they will show up in a cache somewhere!  Hubby is the one to put a TB in a pocket someplace and then forget about it, find it months later....but he's getting better!

I may be more OCD with TB's than most, but once I drop a TB in a cache, I put it on a watchlist until it's been picked up and dropped at least a couple of times.  I know it's out of my hands once I drop it, but I still like to see what happens once it leaves my hands, since I have likely taken photos and told stories of its travels, trying to keep to it's goal and mission if stated.  I've become "attached" so to speak!  I have a list of current TB's in my geobag, with goals and those that like photo ops so I can grab photos when needed, and then note when/where I drop them  so I can do a complete log for the drop.  TB's is a fun side game, with the understanding that not all play it the same way.  Once you release a TB, whether your own or one you are moving along, you have no control over where it goes or who it ends up with.  I still enjoy following their travels on the map, and seeing where my released TB's have been!

• Upvote 1

• Do you prefer to find TB with specific goals or the ones that just want to get miles or travel from cache to cache? No particular preference, but it is interesting the goals stated for some 

• Does it seem to you that TBs with a general goal of simply getting as many miles as possible tend to travel further and last longer than TBs with more specific goals (e.g., visit each of the state capitals)? Have no clue as to how long any last
  •  
  • Do you ever specifically search for Geocaches with TBs in them? I cannot think of any caches so selected to look for
  •  
  • Does a cache with TBs in its inventory make a cache more attractive to you? Since I seldom check the cache TB list . no.
  •  
  • Have you ever kidnapped a TB? (...held on to a TB much longer than you intended). We all probably did, sometimes I find many caches (LPC etc.) that cannot hold a TB, and sometimes I simply forget I have one. I guess if I were to have a certain spot or container for them while enemy custody it would help.
Edited by Jayeffel

1, 3 & 4 - I rarely check the TB contents of caches before I go out.  So it’s always a surprise. Generally, I’ll retrieve any TB I find, just to keep it moving.  When I get home and find out the mission (like if it wants to go some specific place), I’ll do what I can, especially if I have a trip out of town coming up. Other than that, I drop it as soon as I can. 
2. I have no idea. 
5. I try to drop TBs as soon as I can.  On occasions, I’ve held onto a few TBs much longer than typical either because of extended periods between caching, waiting for a trip, absence of caches of suitable size, or in one case, trying to help a TB on its mission. 

Makes no difference to me.

1. Does it seem to you that TBs with a general goal of simply getting as many miles as possible tend to travel further and last longer than TBs with more specific goals (e.g., visit each of the state capitals)?

No difference. However, but this is one TB only, one TB addressed to me, made it to me from Germany.

1. Do you ever specifically search for Geocaches with TBs in them?

No.

1. Does a cache with TBs in its inventory make a cache more attractive to you?

No.

1. Have you ever kidnapped a TB? (...held on to a TB much longer than you intended)

No. If I hold onto it for weeks and in some cases months it is intended. Either I'm travelling and showing it the world and adding photographs. (I have received many thank-yous from owners for taking this care.) The other is that I know I can get the TB to its goal, but that might take weeks or months. A couple of examples;

1. A TB's goal was to visit every state and territory in Australia. I was able to take it to every state and territory, but that took weeks. I photographed 'Ernie' the TB at every border with the state or territory name. Earnie wrote home regular short letters to 'granny' telling of his experiences, signing Earnestly Ernie. Ernie's owner LOVED it.

2. A TB wanted to visit the Antarctic. I was able to organise that (unfortunately without me), so I needed to hang onto the TB for weeks/months. Then the TB travelled to the Antarctic, visited a cache, had several photographs taken there. (I should have been with it 😢).

I used to check for goals, but recently I haven't bothered. This though made me check for goals of those TBs in my possession at present. One wants to go to a particular town in Australia. Maybe I can organise that.

1 - We definitely prefer travel bugs with a specific mission.

If we are going to put in work to move and photograph a trackable, we would prefer it was for someone who has taken some thought into what they would like to see.   

Then we can try to accommodate those wishes. 

I would say that trackables with specific goals are better off if those goals are attached to the physical trackable.   

I would also say thinking that a trackable owner is actually going to look at the logs of their trackable also makes moving a trackable more fun.

It is kind of a let down to post a great picture for a trackable and never finding out if the owner ever sees it. 

2 - We would say some specific goals probably hurt a trackable's chance of surviving (IE - be left on College Campuses) but for the most part the goal has little affect.

3 - When we have a trip coming up we will actively try to find trackables with goals that align to our trips.

We did this in April and May for a trip we took in June.

We have also done the opposite - specifically looked for caches because the cache aligns with the goal/theme of a trackable in our possession. 

4 - Favorite points are a much bigger factor in making a cache attractive than having a generic trackable in inventory.   

5. In March 2020 the two trackables we had at the time ended up kind of sitting in our inventory for awhile. 

Early in our career we did specifically move a trackable to get miles on it so we could leave it in a challenge cache (you had to leave a trackable with 10,000 miles on it).    

The owner didn't seem active and it was close enough on mileage we could put it over 10,000.

Nowadays, we really do try to follow what the trackable owner seems to indicate that they want.   

But it be honest - I would say half the trackable we move have been forgotten by their owners.     

Edited by schmittfamily
typo

I'm horrible with TBs, so I try not to pick them up that often--only when I feel I can be good with them.  I might log a pick up soon or I might log it when I drop it off in a couple weeks.  There are too many micros these days, so it'll take a while to come across a cache large enough for the TB while also remembering to bring it with me.

When I manage to look at the TB's page, specific goals are nice and I try to follow them.  At times, I've completed a TB's goal.

I used to have TBs with specific goals.  Their movement didn't seem to match those goals.  When I come across TBs that want miles or caches and are in a competition, I'll ask the owner if they're serious, then I'll log TB visits on all caches I find untl the TBs are far ahead.  I did that several times, even when the website only had the pick up and drop off options.  I'd log a drop off with my log, then go to the TB's page and pick it back up again, and continue logging the next cache.  Logging caches is annoying and has cumulatively taken up a significant amount of my life.

No.  I try to find all geocaches in my path.  Someone else I cache with on Saturdays tends to like finding caches with TBs in them, but I think it's a bonus for her.  We don't have that many caches left in areas two hours from where we live, so it's not like we can pick and choose.

If I know a TB is in a cache, it does look more attractive to find, just to see the TB, whether I pick it up or not.

A lot of the time.  I'll pick something up, keep it in my car for a while, then drop it off at another cache, logging both the pick up and drop off at that cache.  I'd say that happens slightly more than half the time.  The other times, I'll have the pick up logged within a week.  The drop off will happen whenever I manage to find a cache large enough to hold the TB (and safe enough for a TB drop) and have the TB on me.  There are too many micros these days, or caches in unsafe locations.  Yesterday, I found a large enough cache in a park, but it was in plain sight on the other side of a tree some fifteen feet from a trail.  When I find TBs in unsafe caches, I take them before they're taken by non-players.

1. Do you prefer to find TB with specific goals or the ones that just want to get miles or travel from cache to cache?  I don't mind either way.  If I find one with a mission I can help towards, that's cool (it was quite exciting to take the trackable that wanted to go to Platform 9 3/4 there).  But I'm rarely at a cache with a plethora of choice in trackables, so if the list of logged trackables is relatively short I'll look at their missions to see if there are any I can help with before taking one but I wouldn't not take one (unless it was very close to its end gaol and I'd take it further away).  Ultimately, the next finder of a cache isn't on average going to be any more likely to help with a really specific mission than I am, and I know that I'm (hopefully) not going to lose or forget a trackable, (definitely) not mistake it for swag and take it, and (definitely) not steal it, so I'm at least as safe a trackable host as the next finder.
  2. Does it seem to you that TBs with a general goal of simply getting as many miles as possible tend to travel further and last longer than TBs with more specific goals (e.g., visit each of the state capitals)? I think people possibly worry that a trackable owner might get grumpy at them for 'just' moving the trackable without getting closer to a goal, so if given a choice might be more likely to pick up those with less specific goals.
  3. Do you ever specifically search for Geocaches with TBs in them? There's a mystery cache that needs you to find three specific trackables, so I will absolutely hunt those trackables down, but I don't think I've ever searched more generally for caches with TBs in them.
  4. Does a cache with TBs in its inventory make a cache more attractive to you? No, there's a lot of missing trackables out there so I assume there's only a 50/50 chance the cache inventory is correct anyway.
  5. Have you ever kidnapped a TB? (...held on to a TB much longer than you intended) Longer than I intended, no.  But I did start holding on to trackables without dropping them off about a month before my trip to GC40 (the oldest active cache in mainland Europe) in order to be able to take them to visit it.  That's a lot longer than I'd usually keep hold of trackables, but I figured that trackable owners would either be excited or not care (I did say this was my plan in my log when picking them up).  And then I had fun releasing them all back into caches before I came back home.
  • Upvote 1

1. That makes no difference. I don't usually pick up TBs I can't help either. Discover brings the same statistic point. The exception are rarely found caches in which the TB has been lying for a long time. Then I bring the TB into a more visited cache.

2. Targeted TBs are often in caches longer. Therefore, there is a greater chance that they will disappear (cache destroyed or TB stolen)

3. Rare. But sometimes a TB can encourage me not to end the tour after all. Most of the time I look for caches based on other criteria.

4. Yes, but often the TB is gone again. Many players do not log out of the TB in a timely manner and even more do not comment if the TB is no longer in the cache. That's why my expectations are never very high.

5. No. I drop the TB as soon as possible. I once had a TB that I was able to bring to the USA about half a year later (from Germany). But I asked the owner and then the TB was with me for 6 months. My own TBs are often "kidnapped" though.

I find that TBs that just want to travel are easier for me to drop off and keep moving. Those that may want to move in a particular direction I may struggle to help if I have to plans to find suitable caches in that direction. There is a TB hotel close to where I work so if I find I'm struggling to find a suitable cache for a particular TB I'll end up dropping it in there.

I doubt it makes a difference. The life of a TB is due to it being lost or stolen.

Yes, especially if they have icons which I haven't logged.

Yes, so I can move the TB on or just log it as discovered if I feel I can't help its mission.

A little longer than intended, maybe. But in general I drop trackables in the local TB hotel if I've had them for more than a couple of weeks.

On 7/3/2023 at 7:19 PM, Vicious Cycle said:
    We definitely prefer TBs with specific goals since that was the 'original idea' of releasing TBs. In the early days, we even travelled 'bonus miles' to move the TB a bit more to the final destination. BUT I don't like to check online for a specific goal while logging the cache. Almost none of todays TB have their goal 'physically attached' and sometimes, we're just travelling the opposite way.

That's probably the case. Not everybody is heading 'east' as requested...

No.

No.

In a world of micros, it might take longer than expected to find an appropriate cache.

• Upvote 1

I'm late to the party on this one (what a surprise!) but it's an interesting query. I think everyone has covered all the angles here except in my case, caching with kids alters the answers. I don't get a chance to go out geocaching often so I'm very selective about the types of caches to search for. TBs add an element to the game that can be very satisfying for folks more interested in the story over the numbers. TBs draw in the interest and can prolong the activity when out with my daughter. 

1. Do you prefer to find TB with specific goals... ?

I enjoy reading the goals and will factor them into the decision to pick up or not, but just from a practical purpose of can I help or would I hinder the goal. 

2. Does it seem to you that TBs with a general goal... ?

I agree with many here - doubt many cachers even bother to do more than a cursory skim of the TB info and the fate of the TB simply depends on tendencies of the person that finds it (good intentions or not). I prefer to think of myself as pretty conscientiousness about respecting the wishes of the TBs owner but even so, its not easy to find caches that will hold them. 

No, but the possible presence of a TB, particularly if it's an interesting one, can make or break the decision to spend limited geocaching time on a specific cache. I did specifically go after the Lewis & Clark TB back in the day. 

See answer above. I rarely will even look at listings for Traditional hides, but a TB inventory combined with FPs will prompt me to open the cache page. TB hotels usually get at least a look - those can be a lot of fun with the kids.

5. Have you ever kidnapped a TB?

I agree with others - if you've been geocaching for anything beyond just a beginner, you've likely done this by accident, oversight or mishap. 

On 7/5/2023 at 5:15 AM, Goldenwattle said:
  1. Have you ever kidnapped a TB? (...held on to a TB much longer than you intended)

I used to check for goals, but recently I haven't bothered. This though made me check for goals of those TBs in my possession at present. One wants to go to a particular town in Australia. Maybe I can organise that.

Today, with some other geocachers, we are going to drive to Cootamundra to leave that TB. That's one of two destinations the TB wants to go to. I picked the TB up on the Isle of Man and brought it back to Australia with me. It's a 400km round car trip. We hope to find all the caches in Cootamundra while there. I am hoping that the themed multicache that matches the wish for this TB is good enough to leave it in. Otherwise, another in the town will have to suffice.

On 7/4/2023 at 3:19 AM, Vicious Cycle said:

Have you ever kidnapped a TB?

No, but a teddy bear TB (not mine) I left in a cache was kidnapped by scouts who came by after me. One of them wrote in their log, "We kidnapped the bear." They really did, as it hasn't reappeared even years later. Taking scouts to caches can be disastrous. Don't do it!

• Upvote 2
On 7/3/2023 at 10:19 AM, Vicious Cycle said:

1. Do you prefer to find TB with specific goals or the ones that just want to get miles or travel from cache to cache?  No preference.
  2. Does it seem to you that TBs with a general goal of simply getting as many miles as possible tend to travel further and last longer than TBs with more specific goals (e.g., visit each of the state capitals)? I have not noticed. 
  3. Do you ever specifically search for Geocaches with TBs in them? Fewer than 5 times. 
  4. Does a cache with TBs in its inventory make a cache more attractive to you? Perhaps slightly. 
  5. Have you ever kidnapped a TB? (...held on to a TB much longer than you intended).  I wouldn't call it kidnapping. I don't keep them forever. I have kept some longer than necessary. 

On 9/12/2023 at 7:40 AM, Goldenwattle said:

Today, with some other geocachers, we are going to drive to Cootamundra to leave that TB.

We did get to Cootamundra and the TB reached it's Goal. I logged the TB into BRADMAN cache GCQQ5A. That cache matched with the trackable's goal to Cootamundra. The famous cricketer Don (Donald) Bradman was born there. We didn't want to leave the TB in that cache though, because of its bad condition (disappointing that), so one of the other geocachers 'found' the TB and then left it in a cache in good condition, but still at Cootamundra. That meant the TB had been logged into the Bradman cache. (It just didn't stay there long.) Unfortunately none of us thought to copy the TB's number, which wasn't realised until after the drive home, so it could only have a note for its log into the new cache.

We also almost found all the caches in Cootamundra. Plus some more on the way home.

image.png.c42140399ab025d1980b126ec68033c4.png

Photographs: TB with a Don Bradman and with the plaque.

Duck & Bradman.jpg

Duck & plaque.jpg

So that's an answer to "Do you prefer to find TB with specific goals". TBs with goals can be fun. I have also got a TB to Sydney to the suburb of its goal, and another to the Antarctic, which was its goal. Plus some others to their goals.

Edited by Goldenwattle
On 7/3/2023 at 7:19 PM, Vicious Cycle said:

I've released TBs with very specific goals in the past. Some cachers make an earnest attempt to read the TB goals and help the bug reach its goal, while others ...well...let's just say "not so much."

From a Travel Bug owner's perspective it can be a little frustrating, but it has not stopped me from releasing TBs. I'm aware I'm assuming the risk of losing the TB when I release it into the wild. But I have a couple of questions for the general Geocaching community:

1. If a TB has a clearly stated goal (which means it has to be clearly stated *on*the*trackable*), I'll make an effort to help it along. Otherwise, I'll pick it up and drop it whenever I find a new cache that's big enough.

2. No idea.

3. No.

4. No.

5. Absolutely. If I have the TB with me, all caches are too small. If I forget the TB, I find a large enough cache. Rinse and repeat...

1. Not really. If it has a goal, and I can help it, I'll move it. 

2. No idea, but possibly.

3. Absolutely. I have a Smart Folder in iCaching that shows me caches that I haven't found with a trackable.

4. Not necessarily.

5. Absolutely. Forgot about one in my backpack for a little too long. (four months)

Screenshot 2023-10-16 at 12.57.14.png

On 7/3/2023 at 12:19 PM, Vicious Cycle said:

1. Do you prefer to find TB with specific goals or the ones that just want to get miles or travel from cache to cache? I prefer a specific goal. When I place a TB I try to make its goal specific and interesting. 
  2. Does it seem to you that TBs with a general goal of simply getting as many miles as possible tend to travel further and last longer than TBs with more specific goals (e.g., visit each of the state capitals)? Unsure. Maybe I should try this for comparison.
  3. Do you ever specifically search for Geocaches with TBs in them? Yes. Frequently. Unfortunately it seems most of the caches in my area are rather small, so its not so common. And also a common problem is the search saying the TB is in the cache and then its not actually there. I make note of this in my log and the TB log. 
  4. Does a cache with TBs in its inventory make a cache more attractive to you? Yep. Though I am not too picky in the first place. 
  5. Have you ever kidnapped a TB? (...held on to a TB much longer than you intended) Nope. But I really think that would depend on the goal of the TB. It might be necessary in some circumstances.