Two Questions in re: geocaching.com App for Android

Still getting used to doing the thing by smart phone after abandoning Garmin, have two questions I haven't  been able to find answers for:

(1) Is there a way to have the app and/or Android remember my login info? Tedious to type it in every time, and the big website handles that like a charm.  No, I'm not worried about security for my geocaching handle or password, as the bad guys will find nothing valuable if they somehow get their hands on it.

(2) I think I once managed to set a waypoint for a puzzle cache's stage 2, but if so don't remember how.  What's the trick?  Don't see it in any app menu.

Any help appreciated.

21 minutes ago, BigOpe said:

Still getting used to doing the thing by smart phone after abandoning Garmin, have two questions I haven't  been able to find answers for:

(1) Is there a way to have the app and/or Android remember my login info? Tedious to type it in every time, and the big website handles that like a charm.  No, I'm not worried about security for my geocaching handle or password, as the bad guys will find nothing valuable if they somehow get their hands on it.

(2) I think I once managed to set a waypoint for a puzzle cache's stage 2, but if so don't remember how.  What's the trick?  Don't see it in any app menu.

Any help appreciated.

My app remembers me.

When you scroll down on the cache page you will see the waypoints option. Click on that then click on the plus sign call it what you want and add the waypoint coordinates. Save and navigate.

Thanks, figured out the waypoint thing after I posted, buried kinda deep, seems like you ought to be able to create a waypoint without it being associated with any particular cache, que no?  Fer instance, what if I'm parked at a particular place on some boonie road, and I want to create a waypoint for where I'm parked? Seems so fundamental I'm surprised it doesn't come built in.  Or maybe I just haven't found it yet.

As to the login, did you do anything in settings or wherever to make that happen?  Mine doesn't, have to type in username and password every time, and haven't discovered any setting I could change to get where I want to go.  Unless it involves never logging out, which for me at least is a battery eater.

1 hour ago, BigOpe said:

Thanks, figured out the waypoint thing after I posted, buried kinda deep, seems like you ought to be able to create a waypoint without it being associated with any particular cache, que no?  Fer instance, what if I'm parked at a particular place on some boonie road, and I want to create a waypoint for where I'm parked? Seems so fundamental I'm surprised it doesn't come built in.  Or maybe I just haven't found it yet.

As to the login, did you do anything in settings or wherever to make that happen?  Mine doesn't, have to type in username and password every time, and haven't discovered any setting I could change to get where I want to go.  Unless it involves never logging out, which for me at least is a battery eater.

It would be nice if you could create a waypoint independent of a cache. I've learned that if I want to make sure I had that waypoint information available at any time, to use my own cache. If you add the waypoint to someone else's geocache and it gets archived your information can disappear without notice. Of course, if you're only using the additional waypoint for temporary parking it won't matter. 

I did not do anything to keep logged in on the geocaching app, and I don't see any setting that makes sure I do stay logged in.

On a side note, apparently I'm the only one that gets logged out of the adventure lab app almost on a daily basis. Sometimes twice on a good day. 

So go figure!

• Helpful 1
On 6/7/2023 at 1:50 PM, BigOpe said:

Any help appreciated.

1)  Mine stays logged in on Android or iPhone/iPad unless I log out while visiting the web site at work.  Then all bets are off.  I then discover I've become logged out of some combination of phone things.  And I chalk it up to "playing at work".  Maybe it's a coincidence.

2)  Wait... you abandoned Garmin?!  That's the #1 way to mark and manage a bunch of waypoints fast and easy.  I mark waypoints on my Garmin Oregon rather than go through the Official App process.  However, for Android, there are GPS Apps that allow independent saving of waypoints.  I sometimes mark my car's parking spot using Spyglass.  On iPhone, there are a couple of Apps that go free often, where you can mark a car quickly and mark general waypoints.  Because if the Official App goes haywire, I still want to know how to get back to my car.  Of course, using a handheld GPS means I have a track back to the parking spot as well.  In case the whole phone goes nuts.  Every combination of everything I've ever used on "a phone" has failed badly at the worst times, so I've learned never to depend on phones for that.  Yes, I know, I keep reading how nobody but me ever has phone GPS issues...

Edited by kunarion
  • Upvote 1
On 6/8/2023 at 3:29 PM, BigOpe said:

Fer instance, what if I'm parked at a particular place on some boonie road, and I want to create a waypoint for where I'm parked? Seems so fundamental I'm surprised it doesn't come built in.  

There's an app for that.  The Geocaching app doesn't have to do everything.

• Upvote 1
  • Helpful 1