"You're getting close" sound notification

On 6/3/2023 at 1:58 PM, Firstname_Lastname said:

Who else misses the sound that the Geocaching app used to make when notifying you that you were getting close to the cache you were searching for? I wonder why they got rid of it. Any chance someone has a recording of this sound? I'm feeling nostalgic and want to remember what it sounded like. 

I remember the sound/proximity alert when I first started geocaching in the spring of 2017.  It disappeared soon after that to be replaced by a vibration alert but no sound.  I don't know why "they" took it away, and I searched for a similar sound to use as my geocaching mail alert, without finding anything that really matched.  People probably didn't like the alert when they were trying to be stealthy, but then, any phone sounds would be intrusive so better to silence all alerts if that's an issue.

In any case, I do miss that sound, whatever it was!  A little alarm bell like sound....

Edited by CAVinoGal
  • Upvote 2

Yah...I miss it, too. I'm not sure if it disappeared solely on modern devices or if the Garmin GPSr also dropped sounds. I suspect it still works on old-school tech.

I especially miss the sound when I'm moving quickly toward the GZ, like driving or riding a bike.

On 6/4/2023 at 6:58 AM, Firstname_Lastname said:

Who else misses the sound that the Geocaching app used to make when notifying you that you were getting close to the cache you were searching for? I wonder why they got rid of it. Any chance someone has a recording of this sound? I'm feeling nostalgic and want to remember what it sounded like. 

I have never heard that on the app, but I mostly use a Garmin GPS, and that still beeps to let me know I am close.