Small Waymarking update last week

I notice a few of you discussing some new changes that you're seeing on the site. Here are the specific things that were updated last week:

• Archive/unarchive logs showing the user who took the action now show up on the waymark details page when a waymark is archived or unarchived
  • Archived waymarks can now be viewed by any user if you directly navigate to that waymark's details page (a wm code search works for this too - see WM1 as an example)
  • "Edit Waymark" page now has explanation of the process and a (Requires Review) note on the link in the Waymark Options list for better clarity
  • Bug fix: archive waymark no longer removes the waymark permanently from view (like a delete), it actually archives it (like Geocaching)
  • Bug fix: email is actually sent now when someone comments on a waymark
  • Bug fix: benchmarks link has been removed from waymark details
  • Bug fix: find nearest geocaches link is now updated to point to the current geocaching search results

bootron

• Upvote 1
  • Helpful 1

Waymarks over time change and are no longer necessarily the same as they were when initially posted. Take for example WM1, which was a McDonald's restaurant when it was first posted. It's now a Chase Bank. So I archived the waymark. Originally this removed it from the site entirely and it was as if it was deleted. For the users who visited it, the history of what they visited is now gone. Now, with the new update people can still access that old waymark and see what they visited even if it doesn't exist in that form any longer.

It's the first step in a push to improve the quality of the data on the site. There ultimately will be some kind of "recommend archival" feature that can help identify waymarks that have changed from their original form so that we can have some better data integrity for the site. 

Edited by bootron
  • Upvote 2
6 minutes ago, Alfouine said:

Thank you for this list of updates

Have you planned to work on an another list shortly ? especially few annoying bugs

I can't guarantee anything but it'd be helpful if you'd use a single post to identify which annoying bugs you are referring to.

2 hours ago, Marine Biologist said:

I'm not sure if this is a bug or not, but I just tried to update my user profile, and the changes I made will not save.

I've confirmed that a bug has been reintroduced on the profile details section of account settings. I'll take a closer look at this today. Is it safe to assume this is the part of your account that you were trying to update or are you seeing another section with issues as well?

Edited by bootron
23 hours ago, bootron said:

I've confirmed that a bug has been reintroduced on the profile details section of account settings. I'll take a closer look at this today. Is it safe to assume this is the part of your account that you were trying to update or are you seeing another section with issues as well?

Yes, the problem is with the Profile Details section. Thank you.

I thought of one that's caused a problem for many waymarkers until they know the workaround.

Private messages to the officer when submitting a waymark do not stick unless you edit something else on the page.

Similar to my current issue of editing coordinates do not stick unless I edit something else as well. 

It's an easy workaround when you know. 

• Helpful 1