what was your most weirdest/scariest cache?

please have the cach code so we can all know you mean dont tell us any hints about it tho like it was close to a log (wood) make it like on the way to the cach a wood log looked really scary THEN A SCARECROW WENT OUT halloween decorations can count as scary or if the label had a scary ghost if it the box where the cach is was scary or weird send a picture but NO HINTS ok byeeee edit: i will try my best to respond to anyone lol and if it archived you can tell hint bc we cant do it lol

Edited by doggofr
clarify and new stuff

This was a number of years ago. I'd have to dig awhile to find the code. The cache was along the bank of the Oklahoma river in OKC. It was hidden by a cacher known for his "bugs", "bug eaters" and other hides that resembled something living. My caching buddy and I have always had a teamwork thing. He climbs. I stick my hand/arm where mouth people wouldn't. I was reaching back into an opening in a pile of large chunks of broken up concrete. I saw fur and figured that was the container. But no, it was a real bunny. The bunny ran over my arm and between my legs. I think I jumped straight up 3 feet from a crouch. And I screamed like a little girl. My buddy thought it was the funniest thing he'd ever seen of course.

• Funny 3
  • Surprised 1

The scariest was a night woods cache in NE PA we were FTF on, that had doll parts attached to trees, hidden behind rocks, etc.  

Fake blood on parts, some heads singed. some with small lights inside with eyes removed, that kinda stuff.

IIRC, I was more worried about the multiple lights headed to us from a different location, but it turned out to be the property/cache owner stopping by for a review.

American Baby - Archived.

Another was what we thought was gonna be a typical cave cache in N NJ.  Instead, it was pretty-much just a hole in the ground and I couldn't fit.

The other 2/3rds doesn't much like small spaces, so thought we'd have to turn around for home.  She said she'd give it a try and squeezed (literally) through to a small inner chamber, that just had to have an animal deteriorating in it (bones n hair).  Luckily, she saw it after signing the log, 'cause she shot outta there like a rocket. :laughing:  

SKS Last Hope - Tight Squeeze.

• Funny 1
  • Surprised 2

The cache that made me the most hesitant was a rope decent, dropping blind over a rock ledge, not able to touch the cliff wall.

Never minded it with a limb away from a tree trunk, but looking down around 900' made me appreciate my good rope...   :laughing:

N NJ in Wawayanda, off the Appalachian trail.   Suspension 1  - Archived

• Surprised 1
1 hour ago, Vooruit! said:

The cache has been archived for a long time, so spoilers are ok I guess: GC3Y3RB was by far the scariest one, a chopped off, bloody head inside of a pannier (on a left-alone bike in the middle of town).

whoa really did it scare you? i would be super scared prob be having nightmares:laughing:

I set out to do a night cache… all fine… except we were on holiday with friends so we’d been playing board games, so I actually set off about 2am, and this was before I’d got *everyone* else into caching so it was just me, on my own.  I walked to the woods, found the first marker and started following them… so it turns out that deer’s eyes also reflect and if you try following them you end up in slightly the wrong place and then the deer started their booming mating calls… it was fine I worked out which reflectors were which and found the cache and was back to the holiday place before the whisky had all been drunk… but there was certainly a moment!

• Funny 1
  • Surprised 1
4 hours ago, HuggableHamster said:

I set out to do a night cache… all fine… except we were on holiday with friends so we’d been playing board games, so I actually set off about 2am, and this was before I’d got *everyone* else into caching so it was just me, on my own.  I walked to the woods, found the first marker and started following them… so it turns out that deer’s eyes also reflect and if you try following them you end up in slightly the wrong place and then the deer started their booming mating calls… it was fine I worked out which reflectors were which and found the cache and was back to the holiday place before the whisky had all been drunk… but there was certainly a moment!

whoa i could never do that next time bring night vison goggles lol!:omnomnom:

I don’t scare easily but a but a now archived cache was in an old cabin that had a single chair with most of its stuffing gone and there were skeletal animal bones placed on a 2 x 4 that lined the cabin wall.  I thought it was a good place for a dark ceremony or serial killer — or a serial killer who liked dark ceremonies.   I’ve known some of those so it did not take that much imagination.  The last time I went back there, the cabin had collapsed so that was probably the scariest thing.

I’ve been to several caches that have a dark history.

An old sanitarium with a creepy history that is said to be haunted.  Of course I ignored the cache warning and explored the old buildings and ruins.  

After Dark Paranormal — a paranormal ranch where I met some interesting people — a paranormal investigator warned me about going there at night.  https://coord.info/GLM2AM4F (my log ).

And then there is a Halloweeeeen cache that a friend placed complete with a reddish substance and various body parts.  Truly disgusting.

But the scariest might be a virtual near the US capital.  When you think about whay goes on there ir truly is scary,

• Upvote 2
On 5/13/2023 at 12:50 AM, geodarts said:

I don’t scare easily but a but a now archived cache was in an old cabin that had a single chair with most of its stuffing gone and there were skeletal animal bones placed on a 2 x 4 that lined the cabin wall.  I thought it was a good place for a dark ceremony or serial killer — or a serial killer who liked dark ceremonies.   I’ve known some of those so it did not take that much imagination.  The last time I went back there, the cabin had collapsed so that was probably the scariest thing.

I’ve been to several caches that have a dark history.

An old sanitarium with a creepy history that is said to be haunted.  Of course I ignored the cache warning and explored the old buildings and ruins.  

After Dark Paranormal — a paranormal ranch where I met some interesting people — a paranormal investigator warned me about going there at night.  https://coord.info/GLM2AM4F (my log ).

And then there is a Halloweeeeen cache that a friend placed complete with a reddish substance and various body parts.  Truly disgusting.

But the scariest might be a virtual near the US capital.  When you think about whay goes on there ir truly is scary,

man you were prob dieing for that cach good joke? no.. ok

On 5/13/2023 at 2:17 PM, captnemo said:

Found one with a small realistic rubber snake in the hole with the cache.  Jumped back then carefully looked back in before  sticking my hand in to get the cache.  Yes it was in an area with rattlesnalkes.

man that prob scared the hssss out of you:laughing:

Edited by doggofr

This is may log from 2012, and I still remember that day. 

It's the only time I ever took my knife out and really thought I would have to defend myself against "something". 

Ok, the walk to this cache from "Old McKinney Bridge" really creeped me out. First off the birds in the trees were incredibly loud and raucous. They were making noises that I've never heard birds make. I was actually starting to wonder if they were birds at all. Then the vegetation seemed to crowd in to the trail. The trail was muddier here than at any other point between FM 455 and FM 428. The mud didn't look too deep but for a couple of steps it was over my boots. Then the birds stopped making all their noises and I heard something fairly big in the woods to the right, in the direction of the river. I sort of sounded like a pig, but also sounded more like a growl at the same time. Then it seemed like even the bugs stopped making noise. I was so creeped out that I actually got my knife out. I kept looking back over my shoulder as I went down the trail...just in case. I might have been letting my over-active imagination get the better of me, but I just don't know. I have never felt that way in the woods before.
Added 6/22/12:
The story gets even stranger. Later in the day I was at Cabelas looking at kayaks. I got to talking with another guy who said that he was kayaking on the river below Lake Ray Roberts earlier in the day. He said that near the old bridge he had seen something up on the shore that he couldn't recognize. He said it looked way too big to be a wild hog and it was too low to the ground to be a human. He said he looked away for a second, looked back, and it was gone. He told me this even before I told him that I was hiking along the trail by that river.
Also:
The water I stepped in didn't soak my whole foot, it just seeped down in my socks about 3 inches or so. But I developed some kind of bug bites on that area which I had some kind of reaction to because I was laid up in bed for a couple of days. I have no idea what could have been in that water.
Like I said...pretty creepy. But I can't wait to get back out there and find the caches I missed and complete the hike down to Lake Lewisville.

By the time I got to the cache area I pretty much wasn't too freaked out anymore. Man, that's a big container. I wish I could have added more swag but I needed to save some for the other caches on the trail.
T-TB
L-2 Deathlok Comic Books, Calculator, 24-Pak Colored Pencils, ID Holder, Sticky Notes, Walt Disney World Baseball, Orange Rubber Ducky, 2 Fingernail/File Kits, 8-Pak Thank You Notes.

• Upvote 1