Do I need to provide evidence of satisfying the challenge for a new cache with a checker?

pantadeusz

Hi,

New challenge caches all have a project-gc checker. For such a cache, published recently, is it formally okay to just log it with a "tftc" and leave the checking of my satisfying of the requirements as the responsibility of the owner?

This is not to claim that I approve of such short logs, I am just trying to nail down the exact rules.

Thanks

2 minutes ago, pantadeusz said:

Hi,

New challenge caches all have a project-gc checker. For such a cache, published recently, is it formally okay to just log it with a "tftc" and leave the checking of my satisfying of the requirements as the responsibility of the owner?

This is not to claim that I approve of such short logs, I am just trying to nail down the exact rules.

Thanks

From the Help Center:

• Cachers may sign a challenge cache's physical log at any time. However, the challenge cache may be logged as found online only after the log is signed and the challenge tasks have been met and documented.
  • For cache pages published after April 21, 2015 with a challenge checker, the owner can confirm the finder's qualification with the checker when the cache is logged as found. No further documentation is required from the finder.
  • Upvote 1
  • Helpful 5
5 minutes ago, Max and 99 said:

From the Help Center:

Also from the Help Center (Log a geocache):

"Tip: Write more than TFTC. A couple of sentences show the cache owner you appreciate the time and effort it takes to create a cache. But don’t spoil the fun for other cachers by revealing the hide in your log or photo!"

Just sayin'...

• Upvote 2
  • Surprised 1

I enjoy looking at the output from Project GC because then I get to relive some of my previous caching experiences. I frequently creat the list and put it in my log.  I may mention that I satisfied the requirements of the challenge in X number of states over a period of Y number of years or some other tidbit that I found interesting when I looked over my qualifying cache finds. 

I want to be sure that I qualify and I don’t like to make the CO have to chase down the info.  Sometimes I do a screen grab and post the qualifying info as an image with my log. 

• Helpful 1
8 hours ago, pantadeusz said:

For such a cache, published recently, is it formally okay to just log it with a "tftc" and leave the checking of my satisfying of the requirements as the responsibility of the owner?

It is not ok to leave checking only for the owner. It is supposed that you check the requirements yourself before you log the find online. The current ruling in the guidelines is only about the evidence you are not required to offer, unlike the evidence needed for challenges published before the checker became mandatory.

• Upvote 1
2 hours ago, arisoft said:

It is not ok to leave checking only for the owner. It is supposed that you check the requirements yourself before you log the find online. The current ruling in the guidelines is only about the evidence you are not required to offer, unlike the evidence needed for challenges published before the checker became mandatory.

Oh sorry this is not what I meant. You should obviously check if you qualify for a challenge before submitting a found log, I was merely making sure that you don't need to provide any evidence of that in that log.

It's another question of the golden rule. If you just checked to ensure you qualify, it's just a nice thing to do to copy that proof and include with your log. Whether it's a screenshot, or an edit after the fact, or whatever...  If the CO doesn't believe it they can still check, but 98% of the time (a number from the air) I'd say evidence provided with challenge find logs is good. This is coming from me in challenge-intense Ontario. Let's not let that number get lower ;)