Garmin Etrex 30x, can't create a waypoint from coordinates?

SkellyCA

This seems strange to me, so maybe I'm wrong...

I have an older Etrex 30x(a discontinued model I got on sale at Costco several years ago). Is there a way to create a waypoint from coordinates?

I've searched this forum, Garmin website and google and the unit itself.

We had an earthquake about 2 miles from me a couple weeks ago, I looked it up and got the coordinates from the USGS and wanted to hike there after the rain stops. I could not find anyway to create a waypoint using said coordinates. I couldn't even find a way to change the coordinate format.

Is it just me or is this not possible with the Etrex 30x? If not, is there a Garmin that will?

I had to bring my old Magellan Tritan 400 out of mothballs and that did it no problem.

39 minutes ago, SkellyCA said:

This seems strange to me, so maybe I'm wrong...

I have an older Etrex 30x(a discontinued model I got on sale at Costco several years ago). Is there a way to create a waypoint from coordinates?

I've searched this forum, Garmin website and google and the unit itself.

We had an earthquake about 2 miles from me a couple weeks ago, I looked it up and got the coordinates from the USGS and wanted to hike there after the rain stops. I could not find anyway to create a waypoint using said coordinates. I couldn't even find a way to change the coordinate format.

Is it just me or is this not possible with the Etrex 30x? If not, is there a Garmin that will?

I had to bring my old Magellan Tritan 400 out of mothballs and that did it no problem.

You can enter any coordinates for a waypoint, and it works similarly with a lot of Garmins, it's a little weird how they do it.  You need to first "Mark A Waypoint".  Next, select the coordinates field of that waypoint, which are the coords of the spot where you were when you marked the waypoint, and change the coords to whatever you want.

Video here.

Edited by kunarion
  • Helpful 1

The eTrex 30x has always been a favourite of mine and accompanies me whenever I travel. I love it's ease of use, small size and quick fix to satellites. The information provided by kunarion is bang on. Easy-Peasy. Don't forget to save your changes. Try this link if you need a refresher course on using this great little GPS receiver:   https://www.gpsrchive.com/eTrex/eTrex x0x/index.htm