YouTube videos

Dan2099

I’m in the planning stages of multi-stage cache and thinking of making a link to a YouTube video with a clue, riddle, or puzzle. I’ve never seen this done before and curious if it’s allowed. The video If figured out would lead to a physical cache of course. 

15 minutes ago, Dan2099 said:

I’m in the planning stages of multi-stage cache and thinking of making a link to a YouTube video with a clue, riddle, or puzzle. I’ve never seen this done before and curious if it’s allowed. The video If figured out would lead to a physical cache of course. 

A lot of people may object to this: having to watch a video in the field!

• Upvote 1
36 minutes ago, Dan2099 said:

The YouTube video might count as "extra research", as described in the Help Center article Mystery Caches: "A key difference between Mystery and Multi-Caches is that Mystery Caches require additional research that goes beyond reading the cache page."

Specifically, "research on public websites" (like YouTube) is listed as an example.

So a multi-stage mystery/puzzle cache might be able to use YouTube videos.

• Helpful 1
14 hours ago, Dan2099 said:

Sound cool!  :)    Be sure to mention this in the description, so people like me who use a GPSr can skip it.

• Helpful 1

16 hours ago, niraD said:

The YouTube video might count as "extra research", as described in the Help Center article Mystery Caches: "A key difference between Mystery and Multi-Caches is that Mystery Caches require additional research that goes beyond reading the cache page."

Specifically, "research on public websites" (like YouTube) is listed as an example.

So a multi-stage mystery/puzzle cache might be able to use YouTube videos.

Thanks that’s what I was thinking and was hoping for someone to help confirm my interpretation. I would definitely mention that internet would be needed as a tool. 

My idea is a bit ambitious for me because my wife and I have made caches on her account but none as complex. The idea is going to be Batman themed, with Riddler leaving the clues you’re using. I hope to cut and paste dialogue from the animated series together for the YouTube video of Kevin Conroy’s Batman.  

I'd been thinking of doing something similar - a mystery where the finder needs to use the cache page to find a link to a video, and the video is a "follow the trail" type where watching the video shows the searcher how to get from the posted coordinates to the cache container. So the video would be a simple one, starting from let's say a statue, along a path, round the corner and ends at a tree. The searcher then knows the tree is where the cache container is.

The reason I haven't is because I think this setup fails the "use a gps" test. If the posted coords (or the cache page) say to start at the statue, and the video shows which turns to take and how far to go to reach the container, then where does the GPS come into it? Having something at the tree with coords (like an engraved metal plate or similar) to where the container actually is would create an extra step with more chances of the cache breaking, and I believe it then becomes a multi and not a mystery. So the people who like multi's would skip it because the cache icon would be a mystery, and the people who like mysteries would skip it because it has multiple waypoints.

15 minutes ago, Darwin473 said:

I'd been thinking of doing something similar - a mystery where the finder needs to use the cache page to find a link to a video, and the video is a "follow the trail" type where watching the video shows the searcher how to get from the posted coordinates to the cache container. So the video would be a simple one, starting from let's say a statue, along a path, round the corner and ends at a tree. The searcher then knows the tree is where the cache container is.

The reason I haven't is because I think this setup fails the "use a gps" test. If the posted coords (or the cache page) say to start at the statue, and the video shows which turns to take and how far to go to reach the container, then where does the GPS come into it? Having something at the tree with coords (like an engraved metal plate or similar) to where the container actually is would create an extra step with more chances of the cache breaking, and I believe it then becomes a multi and not a mystery. So the people who like multi's would skip it because the cache icon would be a mystery, and the people who like mysteries would skip it because it has multiple waypoints.

I see what you’re saying mine would have you solve a puzzle to actually get cords to the physical cache. 

10 hours ago, Mausebiber said:

Interesting idea, but...  I'm caching with an Oregon600, how do I watch those videos?

The same way you might use a tool a solve a puzzle you can't on your phone or gpsr. On your desktop before going to find the cache. Or how might do a webcam, not on your gpsr; or an adventure lab, on your phone.

There's nothing saying every geocache has to be entirely completable even in the field on a data-less dedicated GPSr.

The issue is more directly whether there is data in the field there, or whether you have a phone (or a data plan) to make use of it when needed.

Edited by thebruce0
  • Helpful 1