Make a "series" of related caches?

RobRud84

Hi. 

I would like to make a series of 3 caches -- Each would be a fun hide on their own, but would contain one of 3 "clues" to find a final 4th cache.  The 4th cache can not be found without the clues.

I assume each of first 3 could be a "traditional" cache, and the final 4th one would be a "mystery" cache, true?

In the description of the 4th, I would say that the cacher must find the other 3 first, plus I would name all the caches similarly (like "MyCache Part 1", "MyCache Part 2" and so on.)
I could list the closest parking lot as a waypoint for the mystery cache.

Any suggestions, and does that sound do-able?  Just tryin' to follow the rules :)

Thanks!

RobRud84

It's definitely doable, and is done quite a lot around here - a series of caches, with a bonus mystery at the end..... bear in mind the loss of a trad can make the final unfindable - so think about building in some redundancy - ie have codes repeated across the series, in a series of three however, you won't have many redundancy options....

• Helpful 2
12 hours ago, RobRud84 said:

I would say that the cacher must find the other 3 first,

Better is to write up 3 trad pages so you have GC Codes. When  you write up the Mystery bonus put the 3 GCCodes into the page, with language  such as,  "clues for GC Code Bonus" are in

Series Name GCCode, GCcode, GCcode.

No one has to find any of the trads to find the bonus. They might stumble on it by accident, be along with a friend who has the coords, or have 1 or 2 of the Trads, and make a good guess on the final. 

There's an attribute for Bonus Cache!

Be sure that BOTH on Geocaching.com and on your own machine, you keep track of what info is where! you can add hidden waypoints, and put quite a lot data in them. and you have a Personal Cache Note.  But duplicate this info somewhere else. 

• Helpful 2

I did this with 3 puzzle caches, each stands on their own, but has a clue to the final, bonus puzzle cache.  I created a list of the 4 caches, made it public, and it is on each of the 4 caches in the series.

https://www.geocaching.com/plan/lists/BM7580T

A series can be fun to create, but maintenance of all the caches has to be kept up.  I've replaced each (including the rather elaborate final) at least once when they've gone missing, or were vandalized.  Good luck!

• Helpful 2
6 hours ago, Isonzo Karst said:

Better is to write up 3 trad pages so you have GC Codes. When  you write up the Mystery bonus put the 3 GCCodes into the page, with language  such as,  "clues for GC Code Bonus" are in

Series Name GCCode, GCcode, GCcode.

Yes, unless you want to make finding the other caches part of the puzzle -- not something I'd suggest -- you should list the other caches and include links to them. If you want to be really nice, put all 4 in a public bookmark list so people can see them all listed and put them on a map. In addition, point the other way: include pointers with links to the bonus cache in the descriptions of the traditionals.

• Funny 1
23 hours ago, RobRud84 said:

...does that sound do-able? 

Sure, and you have a lot of helpful information here.   We've done a lot of these kinds of series.  :)

My problem with these is making sure I do them only...  

Don't know how many times I've been a few miles out, to realize I forgot to write down needed info from one cache (usually the one most-needed...) for the bonus.    :laughing:

• Funny 1
33 minutes ago, BirdSearcher said:

Does anyone know if I can make a series as described above, using several traditionals that have already been published ? Or does everything have to be published at the same time (the traditionals with the clues , plus the bonus/mystery)

Are the older caches yours? Then yes.

Do previous finder then have to refind them or will you give them the information if they ask?