Slow caching in AZ?

bazzle

Geesh I placed Pyramid of the Sinagua over 2 weeks ago and nobody has had what it takes to get up there yet icon_wink.gif. Up here in the NW that would have been snapped up practically before I got done cooling off from the hike myself. And here I thought the folks in Sedona/Flagstaff area liked to hike icon_rolleyes.gif. Won't someone get up there and rescue the TB that is looking for adventures with other members?

* Remember... Only you can pervert forest faeries... *

**Namaste**

pdx33.gif

We have our own stats page at azgeocaching.com. Unfortunately, member's only caches do not show up on the stats so many people will not attempt them for that reason. Also there is a bit of disdain for member's only caches among some cachers (but not all). You cache has only limited appeal at the moment. You might want to be patient.

Till a voice, as bad as Conscience, rang interminable changes

On one everlasting Whisper day and night repeated -- so:

"Something hidden. Go and find it. Go and look behind the Ranges --

"Something lost behind the Ranges. Lost and waiting for you. Go!"

Rudyard Kipling , The Explorer 1898

quote:
Originally posted by Tsegi Mike and Desert Viking:

We have our own stats page at azgeocaching.com. Unfortunately, member's only caches do not show up on the stats so many people will not attempt them for that reason. Also there is a bit of disdain for member's only caches among some cachers (but not all). You cache has only limited appeal at the moment. You might want to be patient.

Till a voice, as bad as Conscience, rang interminable changes

On one everlasting Whisper day and night repeated -- so:

"Something hidden. Go and find it. Go and look behind the Ranges --

"Something lost behind the Ranges. Lost and waiting for you. Go!"

Rudyard Kipling , The Explorer 1898

Stats page??? Too bad... I have always felt this was a game not a compitetion. Rather takes the fun out of it I think. Some of the best quality caches I have done are M/O. They tend to gather less McToys and be a little more thought out then a "toss it on the side of the road" cache that many non-members create. Other than that, this cache has a TB that wants to stay in M/O caches and since I found (like you said) very few in AZ, I created one to keep it on it's goal. Also gives a bit of incentive for people to actually support the site icon_wink.gif However patience is not a problem, I am just rather surprised that a new cache, M/O or not, would go 2+ weeks without a first find. That is unheard of up here and we have plenty of M/O caches.

**Namaste**

pdx33.gif

I'll be moving down there in a month or so. If it's still idle, I'll make it my #1 cache to hunt. FWIW, it took over a year for someone to finally log my Mr McGrew cache. To date, it still has only one find. Then again, it's waaaaaaaaaaay off the beaten path.

-----

Matt

K7MTO

Keep in mind our recent gas crisis. Gas is still over $2 a gallon (keep in mind the usual income level for Arizona ranks near the bottom nationwide). Most of us are hoping to see the price of gas drop as we all expected after the pipeline got fixed before we resume caching.

The local stats page isn't really a competition. Most use it just to see how they are doing or to see how many are found in one day, or to acknowledge milestones in caching. There's the occasional competitiveness when the top caching position changes hands, but other than that, the number rankings have not taken the fun out of it only enhanced it. It's just that people want their numbers to be accurate and MO's caches show up as out of state for some reason.

Well I hope nobody is holding their breath on the gas thing. It is over $2 a gallon up here too (though not yet approaching the $2.40+ I saw there on my last trip down icon_eek.gif), and we have no broken pipeline to blame it on. We can thank Bushy Jr. and the new Iraq oil company for that...

As for the accurate numbers. I have found that the number displayed next to my ID on every cache I log is accurate and it even includes the M/O and out of state caches. I may be simple in my view, but that is good enough for me. Though I must admit, there is a bit of fun poking at our get togethers when we discuss total cache counts icon_wink.gif

I think it would be ironic if makaio were the first to find it after moving down there from up here icon_razz.gif. I know pdxmarathonman would have gone after it on his recent visit, but lack of net access hampered his ability to see the listing...

**Namaste**

pdx33.gif

I would go after it, but-

1. I am not a Premium Member...yet!

2. Gas prices are killin me.

3. This is a Level 4 terrain-rated cache. It's still over 100° during the days here. Now, normally heat wouldn't stop me, but lately I just have been hitting the easy ones. Maybe if it would cool off.

Just curious, how did you get this approved if you live in the Northwest? Is someone taking care of it down here? Of course, I shouldn't talk: I just set a vacation virtual cache 30' away from a traditional cache up there in Portland and it got approved (although in my case it was a one-time special exemption). Talk about me bending some rules...whew...

By the way, Makaio, if you come on out to the Halloween Event, you will see the Original Can of Beans (hereafter referred to as the OCB) in its new holder...now THAT'S gonna crack you up!

Well...

When I hiked up there it was 95+ and I am from much cooler climate. So do not let that stop you, just follow the deserts #1 rule, hydrate or die icon_wink.gif. Of course I LOVE the heat. Also FWIW, my latest update from Sedona is that it has been raining hard and only in the 80s. Gotta love northern AZ...

And yes, my mother lives just down the road and climbs the pyramid regularly (heck she goes up and over Cathedral rock at least once a week as well icon_eek.gif) and agreed to maintain it. Plus I am down there 2 or 3 times a year for visits. So it barely breaks the vacation rule icon_biggrin.gif

Also, at first I was against your plague being placed, though I never got involved in the discussions in the forums. Mostly because I knew that there was another cache already there for the exact reason you were wanting to place the plague. But the more I have thought about it the less that seemed to matter. Now I think it is cool, mostly because there is very little chance it will get plundered like the physical cache that is there could be icon_wink.gif. I have been meaning to hit Un-Original every time I cache down there, but have not yet done so. Now I will have to plan a trip specifically to visit them both. I do think you did a really good job on the design and placement. I think you should post a pic of the OCB in it's new holder on the cache page as well icon_biggrin.gif

**Namaste**

pdx33.gif

Hi,

Desert Viking posted a link to this discussion, so I took a look at the cache page. Don't be too surprised or critical that a cache near Sedona isn't found right away, that is common in rural AZ. I've been caching for over 2 years and have seen this all the time. Also, making it a Member's Only limits it greatly. There are not that many active cachers who live in Sedona, a few in Prescott and Flag, but most are in Phoenix.

The pics are beautiful, and i wish I could go after this cache, but I doubt I canhandle the hike.

One last thing, a "Ziplock" container won't last in the weather (winter and summer). I know from experience, you'll need something more durable.

Good luck!

Lightning1996YCJP

Prescott AZ

I felt the same way about the container. But the actual placement of the cache will easily protect it until such time as I get back there with an ammo can, the container of choice up here where winters are truly winters icon_wink.gif (and often summers are as well icon_razz.gif). Sometimes it is more that just the container that makes the cache last, you really have to use the natural surroundings to full advantage. Plus I was not able to find good PVC cheap enough to make the container I wanted, nor a location within 50 miles that had an ammo can. I figured if those plactic things (not a bag...) can go from the feezer to the microwave, they should last one season in the desert if placed properly.

If you are YCJP S&R you should be able to handle the hike. It is not too long and there is an easy route up the wash. Doubt count yourself out on it so easily.

**Namaste**

pdx33.gif

quote:
Originally posted by Lightning1996YCJP:

I am YCJP SAR but I work almost exclusively in the incident command center on the radios. I am disabled. Don't assume too much when you don't know someone! icon_smile.gif

Ooops sorry I did assume a little more than I should have there, I hope I did not offend. That is one that simply did not occur to me... icon_smile.gif

**Namaste**

pdx33.gif

I hope to go on one or more geocaching trips to the Sedona area this year before it gets too cold. I've been doing a lot of geocaching in the Prescott and Payson areas this summer and one weekend day in the Flagstaff area. I also spent several weekends outside of Arizona. I did several geocaching trips in the Sedona area last year, but many new caches have appeared since then.

Be patient - Highpointer will eventually get to this cache.

You know, I'm just curious that this cache was approved. You are from Oregon, yet you placed a cache in Arizona.

I thought that vacation caches were a no-no.

Just curious if it is a vacation cache or are you in school in Oregon but live in AZ?

[Edit] You know, one of these days I will actually see what I am reading. I managfed to skip right over the part about your mother maintaining this thing until I hit the post button, then it wouldn't let me delete the post.

Please disregard my statement above!

Blind as a bat, and dumb, too. Hell of a combination!

I can go anywhere!! ... (if my wife lets me)